Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sort of. Originally the S was described as a "premium car". Because no one else has a premium car (definition: a high end car without the nonfunctional extras) the S and X get lumped in with luxury cars because the price is similar. It will be a sad day if Tesla abandons that market segment to others. While I will certainly get a Y for Denise, for trips we want an X.
Yeah I don't know about "premium", but the whole philosophy here with simplification of manufacturing is pretty much the antithesis of luxury in my mind. Luxury is over the top, complexity for the sake of complexity, low (relative) volume, and a price tag to reflect it.

You can option the new i7 with a friggin drop down motorized 32" screen and it has screens in the door panels

Contemplating buying some longer-term puts on this company. NOT ADVICE

Why? In addition to the stale inventory, I'm seeing PALM TREES (brand new BIG ones) being installed outside of the parking lot in that video. Not what you should be focusing cash on during a downturn and your major competitor eating your lunch with price cuts.
Short interest is at 25%. Just be careful. Just because the company is doing bad with every metric doesn't really mean anything nowadays.

Just feels like the Model X/ S are going to need to change. Build up of Model X inventory even after the price drop being a big symptom. It’s not so much that they are not competitive with other luxury cars, it’s that the Model Y keeps getting better and more affordable.

GOVA probably has the right of it. Just perhaps moving down the price curve or maybe Tesla just exports more.
Or maybe its getting old. And as sleek as the S looks, with Plaid and all that, it too is starting to look or get old. The discussion is does Tesla to put money into the product for that segment so as to stay on top with newer competition arriving in one or two years, or just be a product in that segment with ok sales but with good margins per unit. Does Tesla even want to be in that segment?

Yes it would require a descent investment but a new gen S/X on a much cheaper platform at same prices, YOWSA! It may be possible to have the 3 and new gen S/X go down the same line, increasing margins to Dr. Evil levels.

Think Iphone. They have the high end(Max pros), the mid tier and low tier(SE tier). You need one in every segment. The flagship carries what the company is capable of. They are there for brand image purposes and to give people that "wealth show off" factor.
Ironically, the "low tier" 4680-based MY will probably turn out to be a better than realized offering- if the 4680 ultimately allows for faster Supercharger speeds. We won't know this for awhile though. We also are banking that Tesla did their homework with these early 4680 cells and they don't have any long term issues....I don't expect it, but it's a ton of new manufacturing processes in each cell times a bunch of cells per module/pack. At least they're not pouch cells, but it is still new territory with these cells.

I think they switched to protecting $210 for tomorrow. Let's see what Call Open Interest looks like tomorrow at 7:00 ET.
Yeah, look at the crazy p200 volume today, I expect will be close to neutralising open interest with c200 tomorrow and will further equalise throughout the day

p205 heavily traded too, p210 seeing volume seeing some volume, but nothing like c210

That being said, two very bearish macro days - today, despite strongly green Futures and pre-market, the indexes started to sell-off from the opening bell -> shorty-bears trying to kill the rally, probably in the fear that next week's CPI print will be stone-cold and fuel it further

Also note that quite a few FEDiots were rolled out to "speak" today and were all pushing a hawkish tone

1675977102135.png

Booster Static Fire appears to be a success!

Let's take Starship and TSLA orbital soon!
Would be entirely appropriate and symmetrical if they launched one of the Cybertruck Betas on this flight. But sounds like perhaps this launch won’t hit quite the elevation they need to escape earth‘s gravity well the way they did with Falcon 9.

It would be a huge flex if they did though.

View attachment 905157

Elon is obviously the only billionaire that qualifies for this tax because he is the only billionaire mentioned on how much he would pay. 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

But today...

View attachment 905158

Wonder why Leon Cooperman would say that. :)
Nah, Elon Musk is used the same way that school buses and football fields are used to represent size and distance.

I'm surprised that the MM haven't gotten this stock closer to $200 today to make tomorrow's work more manageable (I know, I know, there's still over an hour left in today's game). Sure hope the volume remains high and their shenanigans fail this week!

Impressive. You called the start of the "ladder-down" within 8 min: :p

TSLA.2023-02-09.15-35.Lo2.png

Cheers!

Not working out very well for Lucid.

So true. Lucid should have differentiated themselves when everyone else was cutting prices and raised them $35K-$45K per car. In return you could have bespoke colors. Any shade you want. Two-tone is $20K extra, but you get to design the color break with their bespoke on-line configurator. And for $25K more you can get the high society Meghan Markle signature edition (with real hand-painted signature by a person legally re-named Meghan Markle).

I mean, Lucid should leverage their biggest strategic advantage to become profitable - namely that they sell into a very small market of people who want to be different and don't mind spending money to achieve that (Markle edition was tongue-in-cheek).

Instead, they did two price cuts and sent the message that they were trying to compete with Tesla. What were they thinking?

Yeah I don't know about "premium", but the whole philosophy here with simplification of manufacturing is pretty much the antithesis of luxury in my mind. Luxury is over the top, complexity for the sake of complexity, low (relative) volume, and a price tag to reflect it.

You can option the new i7 with a friggin drop down motorized 32" screen and it has screens in the door panels
That's a clown car, not a luxury vehicle

Just saw a bunch of 279mi AWD model Ys “in production” on inventory page in my area. GigaTexas flexing?
Tesla stockpiles the 4680 packs (as seen in Joes flyovers of GigaAustin), so they likely wait until its worth the short downtime to make the production line adjustments for the different packs, so they do a multi day/week large run of them in a big batch on the single GigaAustin Y production line, hence the periodic big lump of AWD model Ys appearing in inventory.

Last update we had was they are making enough 4680 cells for 1,000 cars a week, whereas GigaAustin was at 3,000 cars a week output, so ballpark is they need to stockpile 3 weeks of 4680 cell production to do 1 week of Model Y AWD production.