Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This YouTube video was shared by the Limiting factor:-

Not new information, but an interesting take on Toyota and Tesla.

Mobile service came here today in a blue Model S, nicest service department vehicle I have ever seen.
So far both times I have needed service, it has been mobile service at home with warranty and recall repairs done for $0, in around an hour, with zero effort from me,

This time I wandered out and talked to the guy for a few minutes, but it was obvious he needed to finish up the paper work and get on to the next job.

Both times service has come within a few days of making the booking.

Those who haven't used it, don't know how good mobile service can sometimes be
I had an on screen notice of a charge port malfunction. Made an appointment in the app, mobile service came (black Model X) and swapped it out in about 30 min. Really nice guy asked if there was anything else I needed. Great experience.

Predictions for investor day:

• Tesla mainly says stuff we already know (via crowdsourced knowledge sharing) and they just blatantly spell it out (i.e. the ROIC on their factories, vertical integration, raw material contracts) for an institutional investor audience
  • Tesla probably talks about financial impact of TWh growth (again, stuff we already know) and that's how to think of the company
  • All this is wrapped up within Master Plan Part 3, which essentially boils down to a 2030 projection of how they'll create a bunch of TWh that will feed into their product mix
  • Potential to be extra screwed in shareprice short term if Tesla says "redistribution of TWh is more important than # of cars produced, 20 million not as important as deploying TWh in areas like Semi and Megapack" and TMCers/Stephenson/Warren all try to swoop in and spin a positive narrative to that while Wall Street says "Tesla backs off long-term 50% growth target!" (for the record I'm okay with this, but if this statement comes true in the short term it could really tank the stock)
  • .Tesla talks about generation 3 platform from manufacturing standpoint, maybe cost standpoint, but does NOT reveal a small compact car. Only talks about it in abstract levels (maybe "we can do this whenever we want") because they don't want to osbourne 3 sales
  • Yes, your standard high-level overview of Dojo, Optimus, FSD, which no institutional investors care about because they're so far away from material financial impact (and looking at the agenda, not enough time to really cover these)
  • Maybe a robotaxi reveal (which would actually be bad for share price, "omg Tesla commiting capex to a car when FSD is never gonna happen"). Maybe a van / delivery vehicle reveal? Something's gonna be revealed that they're building in Mexico.
  • And like Autonomy Day, Battery Day, AI Day 1, AI Day 2, immediate disappointment followed-up by a flurry of Youtube videos / paragraphs on why what Investor Day said was revolutionary and why everyone so stupid for missing out on the breadcrumbs!!!
Hope I'm wrong lol.

I’ve seen a lot of photos and videos of non Teslas charging at superchargers, and so far the people charging have been raving about it. This is a BFD for Tesla. Not only are they making money from them, they are introducing them to the Tesla app and what good software Tesla has to make the experience so much better than the alternatives. I’m sure some of them are wondering how much better it would be if they had a Tesla, and they will also interact with more Tesla owners and learn more about Tesla‘s software they might never have otherwise known. Brilliant move by Tesla.

How is it used for a Tesla? Does it "undock" without the App as usual, or we'd need the App to use them?

Push the button on the connector, it unlocks (similar to how you push the button on the connector when you finish supercharging to remove it from your car), and then just plug into your tesla like normal.

Push the button on the connector, it unlocks (similar to how you push the button on the connector when you finish supercharging to remove it from your car), and then just plug into your tesla like normal.

Thanks, so anyone can remove it. I wonder how many people are going to try charging that way on non-Tesla's. They'll be like... where do I get an adaptor? Should be interesting initially.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: ZsoZso and Baumisch
I’m expecting a lot of discussion on raw materials and supply chains tomorrow. Elon said that Master Plan Tres was going to be about scaling - so much scaling needed to really transition the world to renewables.

I also expect that there won’t be much of a change in stock price until people realize how important this is. And maybe don’t believe all the usual suspects saying that Tesla doesn’t know what they are talking about since it will be no problem for LG / VW / Toyota / etc. to access this kind of scale by simply doing a google search and ordering whatever they need.

OFF TOPIC: I just want to say that after 10 years on this thread, many of you feel like friends and it’s a really a nice community. I’m saying this because on Thursday I have a heart surgery. I’m 67 with some childhood heart damage. Just in case you don’t ever hear back from me, it’s been great knowing you all. I think all will turn out ok. Just to remind you old timers, it was the 2012 loss of my wife to oil company refinery poisons that caused her fatal AML leukemia which made me vow to never buy gas. And so I bought my 2013 Model so as to never poison someone else’s child. It was very hard for me to afford it. And from that purchase led me to this thread. And with help of others here, I made a small fortune to leave my kids. In a weird way, the oil companies , though they shortened my wife’s life, also enriched my kids. Anyway, my surgery should be fine but just in case, thanks for the friendship!!!

OFF TOPIC: I just want to say that after 10 years on this thread, many of you feel like friends and it’s a really a nice community. I’m saying this because on Thursday I have a heart surgery. I’m 67 with some childhood heart damage. Just in case you don’t ever hear back from me, it’s been great knowing you all. I think all will turn out ok. Just to remind you old timers, it was the 2012 loss of my wife to oil company refinery poisons that caused her fatal AML leukemia which made me vow to never buy gas. And so I bought my 2013 Model so as to never poison someone else’s child. It was very hard for me to afford it. And from that purchase led me to this thread. And with help of others here, I made a small fortune to leave my kids. In a weird way, the oil companies , though they shortened my wife’s life, also enriched my kids. Anyway, my surgery should be fine but just in case, thanks for the friendship!!!
Good luck mate

Best wishes Gene!

Good luck Gene. Chat with you next week.

Full announcement from Mexican President AMLO in this video.

• AMLO talked with Elon Musk on two occasions
  • Elon was sensitive to Mexican concerns and accepted Mexican proposals, and for water agreed to a series of commitments to resolve the issue. More info to come tomorrow and next week. The plan includes recycling and wastewater treatment, including for the paint shop.
  • Very big investment, very big plant, and “muchos, muchos” jobs
  • Plant will make cars
  • Population of Monterrey metro area grew 23% in the last ten years, double the average growth nationwide. This is a big part of the local water scarcity.
  • Potable drinking water is the top priority
  • Governor of Nuevo León will be invited
  • Will raise local wages for workers in general by majorly increasing demand for labor
  • Elon Musk mentioned by name about ten times, more often even than Tesla. Described very positively as respectful, attentive, and understanding.
  • Can’t award subsidies, but Elon understands the globally unique comparative advantages of Mexico
  • AMLO and Elon agree the primary resource of Mexico is the hard working people, ethic of responsibility, and creativity
  • Mexican priorities are water, high-wage jobs, environmental protection, collecting business taxes
  • “There will be technological development not only in the plant but also in relation to water management.”
I’m still learning Spanish so I might have translated something wrong. I got the impression that there are probably lots of local concerns about long-term water supply in Monterrey that AMLO wanted to placate. Half the speech was about water.

Last edited:
Investor day bingo poll has closed:

1677655908997.png

Don't worry, expectations here are low.

I’lol keep you in my prayers this week Gene. Invest in the world you want for your children. It’s a blessing to be around a group of intelligent, like-minded people like you who believe in The Mission.

Hope it goes well. I've had heart surgery twice now, with good results. It's one thing that doctors have gotten quite good at -- they've had tons of practice.

I think this is significant news. MY suspension is my least favourite feature:
More good news coming out of China -

1. Not sure if it was previously mentioned, but the investigation into the Tesla incident in China with the endlessly accelerating Tesla MY concluded. It was found that the accelerator was pressed 100% of the time, the brakes were never pressed, and *shock* autopilot was not engaged.

2. According to China's National Bureau of Statistics, the accident mortality rate of Teslas was at least an order of magnitude lower than the average. (0.017% vs 0.0012%)