Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, but they both have to park in the wrong stall in order to charge.
Only wrong in relation to a Tesla :p

But yes, Rivians and F150s will be different - remember that Tesla is only going to install Magic Docks at lightly used locations so that they can gain incremental revenue. They aren't about to install them at heavily used locations since they'd generate zero additional revenue. And each fast charge is going to be one heck of a marketing feature for all those non-Tesla owners as they stare longingly at the full Supercharger network that they can't use.

For Gen3 some part of the job must simply be a lot of CAD designs for the car and for the manufacturing equipment.

If they can find a section of suitable space somewhere in Austin they can start work... assuming that there are people who have the time/resources to work on this project.

If they need to make new parts they can start on that because Austin and initially supply parts to Monterrey.

If they know what they need for the structural battery pack, they can build it because Austin can supply Monterrey.

In theory they could work out the manufacture of some part of the car then package all that up and store it in a warehouse, then start work on the next part.

And they can also plan the layout of Monterrey and order some of the equipment they will need.

I also expected to hear more about Model 3 Highland.

IMO the presentation was similar to a magic trick where the magician walks the audience though how the magic trick is done, some simply expected a quick magic trick, and don't really care how it works, For me, how it works is all important.
Agree with most of what you state, except I think a lot of that has already been done. As others have postulated I think most of Gen 3 has already been engineered and prototyped. But by doing so, Tesla has a unique opportunity in that they can build a factory around a car, not vice versa. I believe they intimated that by illustrating just how much smaller GFMonterrey can be compared to Austin and Berlin.

And I'm glad Tom Zhu is going to be in charge of most of this. He's done there, been that for GigaShanghai, plus help improve the processes at the other factories, most of which we don't even know about, so he's obviously the man for the job.

It will be awesome to take a tour of GFM in a couple years!

Last edited:
No, but they both have to park in the wrong stall in order to charge.
Seems like the ONE standard our government could do to help EV adoption that was never accomplished with ICE is to mandate a standard charging port location. This is getting silly already. 4 corners of the vehicle it can go on-just pick one and move on.

And depending on which plant it was built at. Seems like they are going to have to track right down to the VIN of the particular car

Tesla literally has been doing this for years (c.f. "digital twin"). Every single car is registered for approval with NHTSA individually as a routine part of the factory OS. Even self-tests are being done by the cars themselves now, and recorded at the mothership at time of production. It's amazing what Tesla is already doing, that people have no clue about. ;)

I think we have a pretty good timeline for the next-gen vehicle. They said it will be made in Mexico. If they start building the factory in a few months and its done mid-2024, then we should see cars coming out around the end of 2024. I don't think they'll start building unless they have a production timeline, so we'll have a better idea once they start breaking ground.

They also said it'd be made in their other factories too, so it's possible it launches somewhere before Mexico is done.... this is part of the big "timeline" question set at the end that they refused to answer.

Since V2H is not coming for about 2 yrs, seems CT will not have it initially.

They said ALL vehicles would have in within 2 years- so entirely possible the very first CT does, but it doesn't come to say a refreshed Y until then or something.

A guy with 20 shares tuition money has the ability to sell 2 and a half hours after market close ?
I don't think so! Please, tell me how to get such trading privilege, because my broker will not give me such authority, even though I have a lot more than 20 shares...

Time to find a better broker. Nearly all of em offer after hours trading to anybody just by selecting it in your account.

Tesla literally has been doing this for years (c.f. "digital twin"). Every single car is registered for approval with NHTSA individually as a routine part of the factory OS. Even self-tests are being done by the cars themselves now, and recorded at the mothership at time of production. It's amazing what Tesla is already doing, that people have no clue about. ;)

....BOM by unique ID (serial # usually, VIN in Teslas case) has been going on in tons of industries for decades.... unsure why people keep acting like it's ADVANCED SPACE MAGIC.

Call up Lenovo or HP with a serial # from a computer and they can tell you what plant it was built in, and every single part that went into it. They can reference the other direction too....like say it turns out a specific 3rd party part is found to have a problem- they can produce a report of the serial # of every machine it went into....

It's not amazing, it's how most manufacturing works, and has for a long time, because it makes it so much easier to figure out what happened when something goes wrong or if the machine every needs parts or service.

How do you think other car makers know which specific vehicles to recall when they figure out a supplier gave them a bad part from X date to Y date? By pulling a report of all the VINs that got that part in their BOM.

Tesla does a LOT of uniquely awesome stuff--- this is not an example of it. It's standard practice in manufacturing.

Interesting summary of the event from Martin Viecha.

Summary for those who don't have 3 hours:
1. Transition to sustainable energy is entirely feasible
2. global mining will *reduce* in this transition
3. next-gen vehicles will be manufactured very differently
4. no more rare earths in the next powertrains
5. transitioning to 48V
6. data powers everything, our factories, cars, service, decision making
7. simplification of all components in the chain
8. unlimited charging for $30/month in Texas
9. cost reduction is in our veins - a fundamental enabler of this transition
Delivered by a phenomenal team that I have the privilege to work with

And Elon still says

* The Tesla car business will get to 20M vehicles (even in a robotaxi world)
* FSD/Robotaxi increases value some insane amount
* Storage/Tesla Energy will be as valuable as the car company is now (I don't think you get to multiply that against FSD/Robotaxi)
* Humanoid Robots will be more valuable than Robotaxi

So that's a lot of math that says they have multiple paths to being the most valuable company on the planet.

I'm guessing this is a case of "artistic license" but I can't imagine they'll setup a factory floor at a slope, or even a parking lot at that much of a slope.

FqLJWPRWwAMK17y

Yet it’s exactly what Toyota just admitted to. The hose was one example.

They give a shot of ? as reward to any employee who eliminates 1kg. So ya, that employee likely proved the sunroof and right lumbar were not enouph value add, backed by hard data, and they celebrated.
1) eliminating a part because it isn’t used often doesn’t make it better. It makes it worse. It’s just an acceptable “worse”

2)!you conveniently ignored the part where I said it’s in the cybertruck. If it’s making the car worse why is it in the cybertruck?

So y’all listen to the arguments you’re making? Tesla removed that because there was a parts shortage and they felt the pressure to keep the ramp going so they still shipped just without the part. And it costs less money. That’s fine. I have no problem with that. Just using that as an example that directly contradicts what was said today.
And my ORIGINAL point is to point out the ridiculous of tesla being “not trained in deception” when anyone who has ever worked in a Fortune 500 knows what a naive statement that is. And yah you can say “stop being so uptight that was just a tongue in cheek statement” yah, I would believe that…but it’s hard to tell when folks like @Krugerrand just decide to dislike every negative comment because I’m not inanely cheerleading and can acknowledge these realities, which I correctly forecasted here and made $8000 this week selling CCs against. Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

I like how Elon just throws out these casual off hand comments:

"Anyways ... [TeslaBot] is probably the least understood or appreciated part of what we are doing at Tesla, but will probably be worth more than the car side of things long term"

This after he muses about what is an economy when there is no limit to growth?

No one takes him seriously, and yet here he is fundamentally transforming the entire global economy in front of our eyes...

And Elon still says

* The Tesla car business will get to 20M vehicles (even in a robotaxi world)
* FSD/Robotaxi increases value some insane amount
* Storage/Tesla Energy will be as valuable as the car company is now (I don't think you get to multiply that against FSD/Robotaxi)
* Humanoid Robots will be more valuable than Robotaxi

So that's a lot of math that says they have multiple paths to being the most valuable company on the planet.
Elon said he think there will be more bots than humans. Let's do the math. There are 8B humans on the planet. Let's say Elon is right and there is a need for 10B bots. Tesla takes a 50% market for these. Each bot has a lifespan of 10years. So 500M Tesla bots/year. If Tesla sells these for $20k at 10k profit, that's $5T/year in profit. Let's say they take a $100/monthly subscription for the software, that's $6T/year in subscription at ~100% profit..

So yeah, if Elon is right, then bots could be an order of magnitude or two larger than cars and energy...