Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The port on the Tesla Semi is a MCS, prototype v2, and the MCS spec does not support AC charging. You would have to have a second charge port for AC, which apparently the Semi doesn't have.

If it were to have AC charging, the only port type that would make sense is a Type 2, J3068, which supports three-phase AC. (This is the standard AC connector in most of the rest of the world.) I think this supports up to ~50kW. (63A three phase AC)
This is the correct answer, and can we take future discussion of this to the appropriate thread?

We are starting to see the impact of Covid and reduced supply on used car availability
We saw that already in the past few years with high used car prices and limited availability, it's not something new.

1678292568157.png

With automotive loan interest rates so high and trending higher, why isn't Tesla offering their own financing? Seems like Tesla buyers are likely some of the lowest risk borrowers out there. Money being left on the table IMO...
They are and have been doing since 2013. Check out securitizations.
The standard US credit evaluation is a generic FICO (Fair, Isaac & Co) score which differs slightly between loans and leases.

The average FICO for Tesla securitizations 2022-A is higher than that of Mercedes Benz at 774 vs MB 2023 at 759. If you know anything about FICO scores you understand that such an average score reflects outstanding creditworthiness.

Tesla financing securitization have since their inception had excellent FICO even as the Model 3 and Y have come to dominate issuances.

How anyone can imagine Tesla does not offer financing bewilders me, since they have had public securitization for years, both loans and leases for nearly a decade.

Perhaps the absence of F&I dealership gouging confuses people, perhaps something else. Almost all of this is disclose in annual reports and more can be found by searching for Tesla securitizations. Much of this has been regularly discussed here.

May I suggest you do a little bit of basic research prior to assuming Tesla is "leaving money on the table" just because they do not overtly 'rip off' their customers.

We saw that already in the past few years with high used car prices and limited availability, it's not something new.

View attachment 915282

I would argue that 2021 into early 2022 was a huge increase in demand due to people moving out of cities and/or avoiding mass transit versus now we are seeing a limited supply impacting the used market as people are keeping cars longer meaning there are now fewer used cars entering the market.

Leased cars, generally 2-3yrs old, are the largest contributor to the used auto market for dealers.

I would argue that 2021 into early 2022 was a huge increase in demand due to people moving out of cities and/or avoiding mass transit versus now we are seeing a limited supply impacting the used market as people are keeping cars longer meaning there are now fewer used cars entering the market.
I think people are over-analyzing this used car price "Increase".

After Tesla dropped their prices massively in January, used car prices dropped to a 6 month low. We're bouncing off of that 6 month low, not setting some kind of new record here. Used car prices are lower than they were at the beginning of the year and much lower than 4-6 months ago.

Per an (unknown) mod, resubmitting this link to include mandatory commentary:
“Here is a link to an article that explains a downgrade in TSLA”.

Post 404,776 has limited comments and wasn’t deleted so I assume my commentary is fine too

After Tesla dropped their prices massively in January, used car prices dropped to a 6 month low. We're bouncing off of that 6 month low, not setting some kind of new record here. Used car prices are lower than they were at the beginning of the year and much lower than 4-6 months ago.
My wife's minivan is still worth more than it was 4yrs ago when we bought it. We still have a long way to go before the used car market stabilizes. Until then, new cars will continue to look more appealing due to the delta in cost and better interest rates.

My wife's minivan is still worth more than it was 4yrs ago when we bought it. We still have a long way to go before the used car market stabilizes. Until then, new cars will continue to look more appealing due to the delta in cost and better interest rates.
New ICE cars sales have declined right into 2023. It’s only new EV sales which are appealing. GM just parked one of their most lucrative assembly lines due to slack demand. This is a tail wags the dog thing. A long term effect of declining auto sales.

New ICE vehicles sales have been declining for 6 years, the used car price increases have not changed this. People still need cars, so they hang onto their used cars longer. Car market for used cars is tight right now.

Legacy auto chased the high end and they sell fewer and fewer of their low end vehicles. Look at the Ford Maverick. In spite of all the press it gets as being a super popular vehicle, Ford didn’t make that many of them in 2022 and left a lot of cash-in-hand customers in the cold. So people keep buying used cars.

I missed it huh... we'll see. Notice other (non-growth) stocks don't seem too affected by the Fed's talk yesterday. Trick or Treat?
50 more please. I think trick. Hit's 180 and goes back up today. What are those trades called... Puts but pull if it hits?
Or not, we'll see. 🤷‍♂️
Not advice!!!

1678298442167.png

You're describing what we're seeing today, but we need to be thinking about what will happen tomorrow and forecasting where it's headed. Will this be a temporary short-term bounce or will it be more sustained?

Also holy sugar a whole whack of Model X's just appeared in US inventory

1678299915375.png

It looks like a lot of them are HW3 demo vehicles

With automotive loan interest rates so high and trending higher, why isn't Tesla offering their own financing? Seems like Tesla buyers are likely some of the lowest risk borrowers out there. Money being left on the table IMO...
People should remember that this is US interest rates being high. US demand is currently Tesla's least worried region because of the IRA. Tesla works with local regional banks to provide financing incentives if needed. Tesla China had an interest rate promotion on Tesla cars and perhaps it's still going on.

You are correct IMHO. People here rarely seem to understand the difference between Tesla direct sales and everyone else through dealers.
Everyone else gives discounts to consumers to dealers or both but do not change MSRP. maintaining a thin illusion of price stability even though dealers routinely gouge their customers on finance, additional gimmicks etc.
Tesla gives a single price and has not tried to make money on F&I. When they change a price everyone goes bonkers, "too high", "too low", "demand is out the roof:, "demand collapsed".
None fo that is actually happening, Tesla, like rational sellers raises or lowers prices depending on market conditions including eliminating inventory prior to major product changes.
There is no mystery, no problem, this is just the hysteria of ignorance. The pundits who forecast sales get clicks from hysteria, we should never forget that our 'esteemed' favorites also are paid by the click and subscribers. Hysteria sells.

Anybody who doubts these facts and wants to check can see Automotive News which every week shows consumer and dealer incentives for every OEM by model and year...except Tesla, that does not engage in such deceptive practices and simply tells everyone what their selling price is right on their website.

These debates are patently ridiculous. Everyone who's ever bought a car should know prices go down the second you buy a car, and values vary depending on many variables. Tesla sometimes has been an exception when waiting lists were more than a year long.
This is a great post, a much more civil, much more informative way to reply to questioning here about inventory compared to the “you are stupid” responses I’ve read from some other forum members.

Incredibly softball article from WSJ regarding GM’s failure to deliver their Next Gen EVs.

According to the very generous definition of “Started Selling” they use here, Tesla could say they “Started Selling” Cybertruck’s since it seems like Musk and Franz have theirs. Actual customer deliveries of the LRYIQ started in October and even then there were something like 25 total sold in the year.

Can only imagine what the article would look like if it were Tesla.

1678300769186.png

Incredibly softball article from WSJ regarding GM’s failure to deliver their Next Gen EVs.

According to the very generous definition of “Started Selling” they use here, Tesla could say they “Started Selling” Cybertruck’s since it seems like Musk and Franz have theirs. Actual customer deliveries of the LRYIQ started in October and even then there were something like 25 total sold in the year.

Can only imagine what the article would look like if it were Tesla.

View attachment 915406
TSLAQ: At least there have been 0 recalls on the Lyriq!