Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something else to consider about CT's immanent production debut is how this vehicle will have front and rear castings. Meaning, they will need to have two of the large IDRA machines running to reach production.

As far as I know, there is only one of these being assembled on site currently, and there has been no perforation in the roof for the aluminum smelter for either of these Gigapresses per Joe Tegtmeyer's drone videos.

Usually, there is some buzz when IDRA ships another press, and again when the press is delivered to GigaTx. Any timeline for CT production should take into account such evidence as indication of when both presses have been installed and are operational. Other things to look for would be CT casting test articles in the recycle pile on the North side of the building.

Regarding Gigapress size:
The 9000 ton and 8000 ton have identical platen areas. The 5500 and 6100 ton have 32 cm closer tie rod spacing and 50cm smaller platens along with 30cm shorter stroke and 20cm smaller max die height. The smaller pair have less than half the max shot mass.
The difference in clamp force corresponds to the crossectional area (in clamp direction) of the casting. The front end of Cybertruck will likely have the open middle design we see in Model Y. However, to achieve the flows needed across the casting, the open middle does start out life with metal, adding to clamping load. Still, this does likely does not need the same capacity as the much longer rear casting.

There are shipping docs showing another incoming Gigapress.
The melting oven is separate from the press and Tesla could potentially use one oven to feed multiple machines.
Recent Joe video showed recycling of aluminum blocks which could be remelted test castings.

Regarding Gigapress size:
The 9000 ton and 8000 ton have identical platen areas. The 5500 and 6100 ton have 32 cm closer tie rod spacing and 50cm smaller platens along with 30cm shorter stroke and 20cm smaller max die height. The smaller pair have less than half the max shot mass.
The difference in clamp force corresponds to the crossectional area (in clamp direction) of the casting. The front end of Cybertruck will likely have the open middle design we see in Model Y. However, to achieve the flows needed across the casting, the open middle does start out life with metal, adding to clamping load. Still, this does likely does not need the same capacity as the much longer rear casting.

There are shipping docs showing another incoming Gigapress.
The melting oven is separate from the press and Tesla could potentially use one oven to feed multiple machines.
Recent Joe video showed recycling of aluminum blocks which could be remelted test castings.
That's a helluva post considering your ancestry

Can someone please show some evidence of how they are the protector of their own companies besides "trust me bro"? I see China go after Didi and BaBa way more than Foxconn or Tesla. Name a few large American companies China actually went after and have caused damage. I can name a few the U.S have done to China right now...Huawei and TikTok.
Everyone is protecting national entities. Korea made it virtually impossible to compete in Korea- copied Japan. China offers subsidy on subsidy..forcing outside firms to partner to manufacture or even sell in China (tesla being somewhat of an exception-but their hands are tied more than most want to acknowledge) and offering no real IP protections for decades, gradually increasing them as Chinese firms grew and competed on the global stage. Foreign entities can't easily repatriate profits from China. Chinese owned firms with globally recognized leaders that spend quite a lot of time outside China have had wings clipped- as you mention. Huwaii hasn't though..interesting that. Neither has CATL. If you want to see the list of companies that have been propped up by the CCP than just look at all the major resource dependent entities- CNOOC, PetroChina, etc. Then shipbuilders, then strategic entities Huwaii, etc etc. Every province in China offered backing to anyone with a business plan on a hot segment.

It's not uncommon in many countries and it certainly wasn't in China. What's also clear is that China has no mechanism for the large scale bankruptcy. So it won't happen- because if the CCP has shown anything is abundant caution and careful planning.

Why do you think there is any exceptionalism in China's behavior? Economic history is very interesting in this regard, I heartily recommend the excellent biography on JP Morgan -author Jean Strauss- Morgan, American Financier. He spent a huge amount of time making sure that railroads would not fail, steel mills would consolidate carefully, etc. He also was the real reason for quite a lot of anti trust law.

Good memories! I camped overnight at the showroom near Cleveland. When I got home the next day and read about the crazy levels of excitement all over the world, I plowed the rest of my money into TSLA. I want to say it was around $230 pre-pre-split that day. Still have the car, still have the shares.

View attachment 923529
The day the Tesla announced the opening of model 3 reservations I took off at 5:00 in the morning and went and stood in front of the Milford Connecticut Tesla location
of course when they opened up they told me they can't take reservations, it was against the law so I literally drove home as fast as I could and booked my model 3
I was number 52,000

My presumption of a front casting on the CT may have been mistaken...

1680360054513.png

A little birdie told me they didn’t show the end because it completely failed, was a disaster, and will require years to redesign as a more conventional truck.

Signed, your pal
Tslaq
Lora Kolodny will have a 2 page article out shortly followed by a documentary on CNBC, on how the CT is the most dangerous vehicle ever produced just based on that clip.