Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue with chrome, other than that it uses nickel, is that it often blinds other drivers.

True, but I don't think the chrome trim uses real chrome. It's just shiny plastic and probably doesn't have nickel in it, though I'm not sure how they achieve that look. Generally, real chrome adds mass without much other than cosmetic appeal (for some) so the cost/benefit doesn't add up, especially if nickel is needed for batteries. :)

Not terrible premarket reaction so far, following macro. As it should. I'd argue P&D numbers are a vestige of years ago when +- 1000 cars made or broke the quarter. Now all that matters are the actual earnings imo.
Agreed 100%. Plus it mattered more before FSD and Tesla Energy. I think in a few years time, the P&D data will be almost irrelevant, if energy starts to comprise a large chunk of revenue and profit, and ongoing subscription revenue becomes large enough. Plus: Tesla is now likely earning *some* profit from opening up superchargers to rival manufacturers. We have no idea how much, but we sure don't have any idea of it from the P&D numbers.

Agreed 100%. Plus it mattered more before FSD and Tesla Energy. I think in a few years time, the P&D data will be almost irrelevant, if energy starts to comprise a large chunk of revenue and profit, and ongoing subscription revenue becomes large enough. Plus: Tesla is now likely earning *some* profit from opening up superchargers to rival manufacturers. We have no idea how much, but we sure don't have any idea of it from the P&D numbers.
it will be like Mac sales for Apple.

And thats how you should compare. (But 4% isnt "clearly dead"). I see YoY is much used in here, as it looks better than QoQ...But:
Last year Tesla could not deliver enough cars, and cannot be compared to this quarter. Also, Tesla is priced as a growth company on Nasdaq (and then some), (and Tesla also says that themselves).
Lol my comment was a joke. Happens every first Q that the bears claim the growth story is dead.

I believe what you are saying is contributing margins, where if the product has higher margin than the base products could have contributed to a higher OM and if the product has a lower margin than base would have contributed negatively to OM.
Maybe? Depends if there is a special meaning of "contributing" margins.
If talking percentage operating margin (OM), additional sales with gross margin (GM) higher than the OM raise the OM.
Whereas, one needs additional product GM to be higher than the baseline GM to raise that needle.
In other words, additional sales at the same GM yeilds the same GM, but shifts OM toward GM. S/X have higher GM, so those sales would shift both GM and OM upward. Conversely, reduction in those sales lower GM and OM.
Not as much as 3/Y (price-cost) changes do, but at 7k-10k units, it can have a perceivable impact.

Looks are subjective. For example, I love the way my Model Y looks. And judging by the incredible sales volume I know for a fact I am not alone. :cool:
Trolls said the same nonsense 7 years ago about the Model X. Anything to attack Tesla. They failed to stop Tesla then, they will fail now. I still get lots of unsolicited compliments about my 7 year old Model X.

Last edited:
The issue with chrome, other than that it uses nickel, is that it often blinds other drivers.
Ummm …. I’ve never been blinded by chrome on cars, and I’ve been around ‘58 Buicks. Besides, a lot of bright work is stainless steel nowadays. Tesla, I’ll give you $1000 extra and order today if you’ll make a long range with bright trim or move my current trIm to the new car. Not interested until you do.

Trolls said the same nonsense 7 years ago about the Model X. Anything to attack Tesla. They failed to stop Tesla then, they will fail now. I still get lots of unsolicited compliments about my 7 year old Model X.
The model x is special in so many ways. Its looks are not for everyone but between the falcon doors and the tech nothing compares. And it’s the fastest 6/7 seater period, unless you count vehicles that require oxidizer and a ground crew.

Maybe THAT is the power of Twitter and why Elon bought the platform.

DING DING DING DING! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

You Sir have won the Internet for Sunday, April 2nd, 2023.

Please leave the keys under the mat before 11:59 pm. Thank-you kindly.

Cheers!

Or he could have just sent a Tweet, for free, and saved 44 Billion...Amazing how people seem to think Elon had no ability to communicate before buying Twitter.

Nice video, but could someone explain to me the use case for this? Seems to me like an extremely niche product...🤔
It's not available, at least as of now, in the US. Gives the China market an exclusive product. Would look nice with a Cyber Truck.

Since it was teased on WeChat and announced by Tesla Asia, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there must be a market sized such that it's worth the effort... in Asia.
It's handy in a few ways. One of which is reducing the insertion cycles on the residential wall socket. Not sure if that is built into the vault though (hardwired?).
[Yeah hardwired Tesla launches CyberVault wall connector in China]
SmartSelect_20230403_094700_Firefox.jpg

SmartSelect_20230403_094258_Firefox.jpg