Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a note that the line item “proceeds from maturities of investments” is meaningless to fundamentals or earnings etc.
It’s just a cash management thing, like an expiry of a fixed term investment of some type, basically the same thing that happens if you have savings in a term deposit that matures - the capital gets returned to you to reinvest in another investment (or you do something else with the cash). So that $1.6B proceeds number is not new money, it is money Tesla had deposited in a previous quarter at some point.
It is cash flow.

Reactions: wipster and UncaNed
As soon as read this in shareholder deck, it did not seem good.

“Our near-term pricing strategy considers a long-term view on per vehicle profitability given the potential lifetime value of a Tesla vehicle through autonomy, supercharging, connectivity and service. “

Autonomy= Giant questions of if and when. Take rates?
Supercharging= Is it a huge moneymaker? Am I missing where it on the balance sheet or is it just included under other?
Connectivity= 120 per year. If you drop price of vehicle a few k, going to be a while before you make that up.
Service- remember when Elon stated the plan was never to make money of of service and have it be income neutral?

Need model 2 asap. Need cybertruck asap. Need semi ramp asap. Need major model s and x major refresh asap. Not many people care about plaid, but they do care ( for better or worse) of not having a similar looking vehicle than their neighbour who bought it 7 years ago.
Supercharging-- Profits are mostly going into expanding and maintaining the Supercharger network. Not an issue.

Connectivity--Read the Henry Ford post a few posts up. Says it better than I can.

Service -- Like Supercharging. It has to pay for expansion.

Refresh -- There are many cars models that didn't change much in twenty years but still have great sales (or would if they were EVs). I don't think "keeping up with the Joneses" is as much a thing now as it was in the 1950s. Particularly not with younger people.

I suppose that everyone here had to, just as I did, take a deep breath after the quarterly results and the stock price reaction.
But, mourning time is over, people.
Let's start again with keeping up the good work of evaluating the things that really matter.
Provide each other with useful insight, like we are used to do.
Future of Tesla is still shining bright.

Isn't this just accounting? It's not like Tesla converted foreign currency into USD.
Some is ‘just’ accounting but there are real changes in revenue and expense within a period.

As for hedging, many smart companies, such as Apple, do not hedge. Some quarters benefit some lose, but overall costs are reduced significantly, operating complexity is simplified.. one item that is similar in effect to hedging is moving both funding and supply to match revenue as much as is practical. Tesla does do that, although they tend to describe that in terms of logistics efficiency.

Last edited:
A brief interruption from the Q1 ER to report that the Silicon Valley New Car Dealers Assn says full EVs exceeded 40% for the first time in Q1 (40.4%)

Tesla had 29.3% market share, more than 2X Toyota (13.7%) and 4X Honda (7.3%), who were a distant 2nd and 3rd place.

IMO EVs still on a path to be a majority of new cars sold in Silicon Valley by Q4.

If FSD was real in 5 years, what would you do as a CEO of the company?
The answer is sell as many cars as you can now, which will become FSD customers later.

If FSD might be real in 5 years, what would you do as the CEO of a competitor?
Lobby the NHTSA to investigate, delay, and denegrate the technology per Dan O'Downer.

Once 'feature-complete', FSD will still face an uphill regulatory battle to bring the product to market, opposed by highly-funded interests who do not want it it succeed. The goal posts will likely be a moving target.

Depending on how this plays out, substantial revenue from the existing fleet could be delayed for a meaningful amount of time (making delay an obvious objective for opponents).

As more and more of the Tesla fleet comes off-warranty, those cars stop being a source of warranty expense and start being a source of high margin parts and service revenue

Not so much for EVs, and especially not for Tesla cars which are not engineered to have high-wear, high-cost replaceables (eg: no $3,000 visits to a Transmission Shop). Tesla cars can expect twice the useful service life vs. ICE cars. I compare Tesla's more to the way you buy a PC: eventually you just upgrade, because the lower cost and higher performance of a new model is just too compelling.

I do expect that Telsa will have a modest after-business for out-of-warranty repairs, but nothing like the scale of greedy, dishonest dealership service departments. Tesla will run service to make people want to buy another Tesla, not like the dread people feel when going to a franchised Stealership.

Hate to admit it because the subject tends to 'explode'.
But after Elon's explanation of the quarterly results I think the progress of FSD is legit in this thread.
I think it's even less believable now than a few years back - since 400k people have FSDb and many of us have been very closely following the development for over a year.

Analysts who have a Tesla or can easily see one in action are in the same boat.

Read the last few dozen pages of this thread.

Question.

Is the -800m fx impairment something you back out which brings auto margins up to 22% or that's not how account for this?
I've been thinking about this too. Probably need more details we get in 10-Q to figure out. But my initial guess is no - because Zach didn't mention it as a reason for lower GM.

I've been thinking about this too. Probably need more details we get in 10-Q to figure out. But my initial guess is no - because Zach didn't mention it as a reason for lower GM.
Slide deck calls out $800 million hit to revenue, that would have boosted revenue
margin = 1-(costs/revenue).
However, it may have also impacted the other inputs to the equation.
Revenue
Total revenue grew 24% YoY in Q1 to $23.3B. YoY, revenue was impacted by the following items:

+ growth in vehicle deliveries
+ growth in other parts of the business
- reduced ASP YoY (excluding FX impact)
- negative FX impact of $0.8B
Impact is calculated on a constant currency basis. Actuals are compared against current results converted into USD using average exchange rates from Q1’22
SmartSelect_20230420_083343_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

For the last several quarters I have often wished Tesla would sandbag a bit (like every other company) so they could actually have a "beat" vs. communicating stretch goals and coming up a hair short (aka a "miss").
I am HOPING they did indeed finally sandbag a bit (or at least take a super conservative approach for a change). I may, of course, just be trying to cheer myself up with a morning dose of hopium....

Does anyone know what the warranty impairment for older Model S & X's was for? Are they planning on needing to replace batteries or something major that it would be worth mentioning?
Based on older Warranty Week contributor analysis and some limited conversations I suspect the following three items to be mostly responsible for that impairment, which is unprecedentedly for Tesla, which typically overstates accruals:
1. Legacy 90 batteries, which were problematic and now nearing warranty end;
2. The Ludicrous versions which initially had had substantial issues;
3. Some motor and BMS issues especially with high mileage older versions.

Obviously there could be several other factors that could be specific to severe weather conditions, but there seems to be less of those.

Since Tesla does not disclose these items they are perforce based on anecdotal clues.
In short, these are guesses!

One anecdote: an acquaintance of mine has a 250,000 mile Model S 100D that began life as a 90D. It has had four pack replacements, at least two motor replacements and 'several' replacements of inverters and charging components. All of that was within what was then unlimited mileage 8 year warranty. Soon we'll undoubtedly have direct reports in the relevant threads. Those reports will probably help us understand the unexpected addition to warranty expense.
note: thus far we do not know heather that was an addition to warranty reserves or excess charges during the current period. That is, the extra ex[ense could ahem been demanded by accountant actuarial assessments or could be actual expenses higher than original reserve contributions.
That difference should be arcane, and it is, BUT the difference is fundamental since the former could be the conservative accounting and the latter indicates actual incidence of problems. It is useful to recognize that such a charge has not IIRC ever happened with Tesla, where warranty charges and reserves have been steadily improving since, IIRC, 2012.

Last edited: