Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean, it was pretty clear and has always been pretty clear you can have any color for your Tesla as long as its black.

Additionally, CyberTruck - no paint.

But hey, maybe Tesla does a complete 180 with the next generation of cars coming out of Mexico and the cars will come in a traditional bright, eye catching, Hispanic color palette. That’ll be special.
Suggestion: the Mexican car plant changes paint colours only once per month. Twelve colours per year... and good financial efficiency.

And that, my dear friends, is the reason why I invested in Tesla in the first place.
They always told me that I am foolish to put all my eggs in one basket.
I always told them that this one basket is important enough to me that if that basket fails, everything else doesn't matter.

"But your investment is gone" doesn't matter that much in a world where we pollute the environment until it's basically unhabitable.

Having the outcome we now have is great, of course. But not mainly from a financial perspective, albeit I have to say it's a nice addition ;)

It's a mistake to think that investing everything in electric cars was a good idea ... it was a terrible idea. Better to invest for your family's financial benefit and security. If you choose, donate to the causes you believe in. The only reason it worked is because you were actually investing in Elon's brilliance as an engineer and businessman. Electric cars will be a graveyard for capital.

The skeptic in me wonders if someone with deep pockets is funding this just to keep the negative press on Tesla, and this guy gets paid something good regardless.

Again, the skeptic in me, but . . .
Oh, that’s an interesting thought. You could be on to something. Who doesn’t take a $15m settlement for some nasty words and pictorials directed at them? Someone being paid not to, that’s who. 🤔

How do they enforce it? Can't you just disconnect the main at your breaker?

Yeah, you disconnect at the main breaker, and they come and remove the meter and should place a blocking device in the meter, etc.

That's my assumption, I haven't talked to anyone yet that has done this. It looks like there is enough uproar about this "income based equity billing" crap that the CPUC is going to have to revisit the proposals. It's not slated to go into effect until 2025, so have a bit of time to figure it out.

CPUC also has their hands full now because they have been sued to the hilt by various groups over NEM 3.0, which just went into effect last month. So, lots up in the air right now.

Last edited:
It makes sense the new colors are coming to the states. Its another demand lever. IMO, just wait till new design make over.

And if the new paint booth at Austin could not paint the same colors as Berlin, someone would be fired already.
Paint is one of the real slow-downs in the assembly process. More colours, more slowdowns. Because wraps are not particularly expensive, one strategy is to make wraps cost effective compared to custom colours from the factory.

Curious why you believe they won't take advantage of the new state of the art paint shop they've installed in Giga Texas. At least to add the two or three new colors they introduced at Giga Berlin.
Be patient. Fully deploying all those capabilities does take time and major system modifications. That is why Giga Berlin took some time prior to new colors being introduced. It seems simple but is not.
Check here for more context:

How do they enforce it? Can't you just disconnect the main at your breaker?
Sure, but that only prevents you from using their electricity. It doesn't stop them from charging the monthly base rate, which is what is supposed to be income based if I recall correctly. (Which I think was proposed to be up to $85/month just for being connected to the grid if your household made $180k/year.)

The skeptic in me wonders if someone with deep pockets is funding this just to keep the negative press on Tesla, and this guy gets paid something good regardless.

Again, the skeptic in me, but . . .
That would at least make sense. The repeated rejection of the awards makes zero sense. Can’t we all just agree on tort reform folks?

11 month wait for the color that i want to order, sounds like a nice FUD machine waiting to happen :)
It won't work like that. The demand for the car will be caused by its $25,000 price. Colours won't be something you choose. (in my suggested situation)

Manufacturing volume will make it OK to support more than the 5 colours they have now.

Doesn't have to be 12 different colours... or more than 12 - they could cycle around 9 paint colours. If you want to keep driving what you've got and wait for a colour you're happy with to get sold, that's up to you (and you can keep paying for gasoline while you wait). I'm suggesting that one of the ways Tesla will keep the price down to $25,000 is by painting only in one colour for an entire month. Then switching to something else. At this price level there will be enough buyers. First colour out of the gate will be white of course. In fact they will probably cycle around colours that are similar to what Tesla currently ships, plus a few more.

And the FUD machine has had plenty of material to feed itself from over the years, but somehow Tesla has gotten to a 2million/yr run rate. FUD machine not creating a lot of fear, uncertainty or doubt IMO 😀

Last edited:
Holy *sugar* that's true

That poor battery, people worry about EV battery life but don't in hybrids that have a tiny pack that is screaming for it's life all the time
From my recollection, Toyota did a fine job of babying the Prius battery. They kept it in a fairly narrow charge range. My brother sold his original battery Prius around 250k miles, still worked ok.
Of course, it may be that not all manufacturers will do that as well.

From my recollection, Toyota did a fine job of babying the Prius battery. They kept it in a fairly narrow charge range. My brother sold his original battery Prius around 250k miles, still worked ok.
Of course, it may be that not all manufacturers will do that as well.
A friend with a Prius had to get a new battery after 125k miles and my Ford Fusion hybrid which had the same Nickel Metal Hydride tech was only good for 110k before needed a new battery (but traded it for Tesla MY).

EV2-A on PG&E for us on NEM2 is a moving target. Back in 2019:

Total Energy Rates
PEAK Summer $0.46883 Winter $0.34172
OFF-PEAK $0.15633 winter $0.15633
PART-PEAK 0.35834 winter $0.32503

then they changed it and per https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf it now is

$0.25 off peak

Peak summer 0.57098 winter $0.44387

Mid peak summer 0.46049 winter $0.42717
Off peak summer 0.25847 winter $0.25847

Off peak is midnight to 3pm, part peak is 3-4pm, peak 4-9, part peak 9-midnight

So my home batteries charge from solar until 3pm and after that I am battery consumption only until midnight.
Your off peak rates are higher than my peak rate in NJ. Hopefully California type pricing does not make its way east. I thought renewables would make energy less expensive?

It was my understanding that the paint shops for Berlin and Austin are different in such a way that the Berlin color process cannot be run on Austin's equipment.
It's not quite that simple. The new paint shops must be fully integrated in the overall factory OS in order to allow full flexibility. The easiest analogy is to changeover to a gigacasting for front and rear Model Y and Model 3, Those take time and serious systems integration, testing and production testing.
Until now the Geico Taikisha new plants were thought to require new factories. The present rumor is that even Fremont may end out with those capabilities and has already been in limited use. One possible clue is the new color for Models S and X.

It is also possible that Tesla has managed to shortcut the limitations that have historically been attributed to California paint environmental restrictions.

Sometime soon we may well have more answers from Tesla. In the meantime the new shops in Berlin and Austin must be already saving money due to reduced labor, rework, priming as well as lessened paint and water use.

Sure, but that only prevents you from using their electricity. It doesn't stop them from charging the monthly base rate, which is what is supposed to be income based if I recall correctly. (Which I think was proposed to be up to $85/month just for being connected to the grid if your household made $180k/year.)
Income based? That's insane.

Don't forget also having to service all available colors. Having more colors to choose from is nice for customers, not so much for the company.
Traditionally yes. Tesla has state-of-the-art paint shops in Both Berlin and Austin that drastically alter those equations. We've had numerous posts about that in this thread and others since the first installation was made in Berlin. Traditional limitations of paint shops have changed.