Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has said several times the supercharging network is a self sustaining business of it's own with 10% margins on itself. In this light, more customers on the network = more revenues, which leads to more profits and faster expansion of said network.

Tesla Standard Oil anyone? :D
The one key thing to remember is that you use the Supercharger network when home and destination charging aren't enough. So it may be 10% margin, but ultimately that should be 10% of a diminishing fraction of the energy used. Plus NACS will be open, which means it should always be open to competition on DCFC.

Now, if Tesla really gets into large L2 installations with managed MDU home and destination charging that would be different. Being an energy provider in open markets would be another avenue for a slice of the pie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mengy and FireMedic
IMG_2456.gif

They are, but I still find the charging cable and handle unnecessarily cumbersome. It's just inferior engineering and a waste of material. And for those who aren't so strong, it can be problematic wrestling it into the charging port. I've seen people struggle with this first hand.
Agred. Denise struggles with the J1772 on her Leaf. A CCS would be a nightmare for her.

No more Magic Dock.
Tesla committed to ~3,500 MagicDock installs by the end of 2024. And from what I have seen the US Government is paying for the retrofits, so why would they stop?

The main point of MagicDock is to increase usage at low utilization sites to help recover the costs at those sites. (Demand charges are a real problem at low utilization sites.) They are also a good marketing effort to introduce non-Tesla owners to the Tesla ecosystem.

tl;dr: I fully expect Tesla to continue the MagicDock rollout to meet their obligation. (They might be taking a pause while they consider how to handle cables not reaching some vehicles, can they easily support a longer cable? Do they need to wait for V4 posts?)

Tesla committed to ~3,500 MagicDock installs by the end of 2024. And from what I have seen the US Government is paying for the retrofits, so why would they stop?

The main point of MagicDock is to increase usage at low utilization sites to help recover the costs at those sites. (Demand charges are a real problem at low utilization sites.) They are also a good marketing effort to introduce non-Tesla owners to the Tesla ecosystem.

tl;dr: I fully expect Tesla to continue the MagicDock rollout to meet their obligation. (They might be taking a pause while they consider how to handle cables not reaching some vehicles, can they easily support a longer cable? Do they need to wait for V4 posts?)
If others start adopting the Tesla standard.. no magic needed

Cheers!!

The one key thing to remember is that you use the Supercharger network when home and destination charging aren't enough. So it may be 10% margin, but ultimately that should be 10% of a diminishing fraction of the energy used. Plus NACS will be open, which means it should always be open to competition on DCFC.

Now, if Tesla really gets into large L2 installations with managed MDU home and destination charging that would be different. Being an energy provider in open markets would be another avenue for a slice of the pie.
It will be interesting to see how the new 3D printed housing development near GigaTexas turns out. I would expect they'll deploy something similar to the above.

Fun times!

Multi quote commentary:

Think of this - You are at a supercharger in your Tesla, along comes brand X. You are watching Netflix through the Starlink in your Tesla using the large screen. They have to watch their Netflex on their phone. You are playing a game on the large screen with your kids. They are yelling at their kids because they are bored. You have access to future Tesla restrooms. They have to pay for a membership to have access... The list of these things can be LARGE.
Starlink at the Superchargers that connects the WiFi to your car, not Starlink in your car (for Netflix, T-Mobile cellular via Starlink will be a thing in the future)

Agree, I think people may confuse the CSS standard itself with lack of reliability. Not correct (for Europe at least), Tesla’s chargers are extremely reliable here, even if not NACS.

Yeah, but the CCS Type 1 with integrated lock is arguably less reliable than CCS Type 2 where the latch mechanism is on the vehicle side. Plus, the three phase support CCS 2 provides.

Any manufacturer who wants to integrate into the NACS will have to give us a peek at their knickers. Imagine that you're Mercedes Benz and you want to use NACS in North America. What does that entail? You have to use Tesla software and integrate it into your own. You need a way to update that software to keep it up to date. Tesla software engineers will be working with your own. You've developed a "relationship" that can be built on. This is much bigger than selling some electricity.

Communication protocol would be stable (backwards compatible at a minimum), otherwise adapter based Ford and GM legacy support and Magic Dock would not be possible.
Tesla will have data access especially in terms of API usage for SpC availability.

As EV % grows, total charging of all types will increase.

Host a Supercharger | Tesla
Tesla is now accepting applications for on-site Superchargers. Urban superchargers are also a form of destination charging as are Wall Connectors with WiFi backlink for potential monetization.

Destination charging is somewhat constrained if charging takes overnight, so Supercharging before arrival will still be a popular option.

Six months ago, I was an EV skeptic who thought Teslas were city-bound toys for wealthy coastal liberals.

Four months ago, I found out my 2022 Honda Civic was worth more than I paid for it new, so I started thinking about riding the wave and getting a new car for essentially free.
Noticing how many Teslas I was starting to see in my area, I decided to visit the Tesla website. $7500 tax credit? $42k? Hmm, you have my attention!

Three months ago, I take delivery of my 2023 Model 3 RWD. Mind blown. Start going down the Tesla rabbit hole. TMC, Sandy Munro, FSD, the whole thing.

One month ago, put all of my savings into TSLA.

Today, my portfolio is up 35%. Wow. Change happens slowly and then all at once!!