Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And as for the TMC poster who recently advised that it takes 90 seconds to fill an ICE vehicle, I leave you with this image.
View attachment 946311
I love using this argument. People I know will wait in Costco lines for 20 minutes to save 5% on gas; but struggle to see how plugging in and sitting in your cozy car or going for a walk for 30-45 minutes to save >50% vs gas is a superior experience.

ARK sold ~400,000 shares of TSLA today

6/12/2023​
DirectionTickerCompany Name
Shares Traded | % of Total ETF​
BuyMETAMETA PLATFORMS INC
150,459 | 0.5091​
BuyTERTERADYNE INC
27,436 | 0.0374​
SellTSLATESLA INC
324,551 | 1.0103​

6/12/2023​
BuyTSMTAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR
98,170 | 1.0190​
SellNVDANVIDIA CORP
6,803 | 0.2573​
SellTSLATESLA INC
31,466 | 0.7565​

6/12/2023​
BuyMETAMETA PLATFORMS INC
24,389 | 0.5048​
BuyTTDTRADE DESK INC/THE
44,177 | 0.2538​
BuyPSTGPURE STORAGE INC
56,442 | 0.1570​
SellNVDANVIDIA CORP
13,308 | 0.3986​
SellSHOPSHOPIFY INC
82,081 | 0.4025​
SellTSLATESLA INC
37,045 | 0.7053​
That's sort of a drop in the bucket (about $100M) compared to Elon's multi-billion $ days when buying twitter.

In other news Waymo thinks this is a good sign of progress, that they've opened up more of one city to 24 hour access to a limited pool of users.

Did I forget any qualifiers?

1686628601880.png

Last edited:
I've rented a Model Y from Hertz, twice. Once for a week, pickup in Seattle area for a trip to SF Bay area, and once for a week in Southern California. Both time received numerous emails extolling the fun and virtue of driving electric, with helpfull information on using the vehicles. In Seattle area, car had only 40% charge on pickup, and was dirty. Zero inquiry if I was comfortable driving the car. Opposite experience at Hertz in So Cal (Burbank airport pickup). Car was immaculate, 100% (!) charge, and they asked if I was familiar w/ Tesla or had any questions.
Use of cars was flawless both times, that first rental was about 1600 miles round trip and I loved every minute of it.
Second rental, leaving airport garage, woman at check gate asked if I wanted to pre-purchase return fuel without looking up. l was plussed, open-mouthed without an answer. She looked up at me, looked at car, and said "Oh!".
I loved that too.
I rented a Model Y at Miami International for a visit to the Florida Keys and The Everglades. The experience was flawless but for one minor hiccup. The screen language was set in Spanish. While I could've worked with that, it would have been impossible for my Thai girlfriend. While I had owned a P3D prior to moving to Thailand, I could not remember which menu to access s to switch to English. I finally figured that out and off we went on a great adventure thoroughly enhanced by our LR Model Y. And that extended test drive only reinforced my decision to get a Y in Phuket once Tesla officially arrived here in The Kingdom.

Now I'm waiting for my shiny new blue LR Model Y to arrive from Shanghai to once again be a proud owner of the best vehicle made (on Earth😎). And my girlfriend better not request Thai as the primary screen language or I will be screwed!🤪

Bloomberg thinking Tesla is going to pocket $41b over the next 10 years in IRA manufacturing incentives (not consumer credits, manufacturing credits).

My big takeaways here are
  • They are likely vastly over-estimating how many EVs GM will make over the next 10 years.
  • Likely under-estimating how many Tesla will make.
  • Likely this gets scrapped at some point before then

View attachment 943327

Source Sawyer Merrit
If Tesla ends up producing batteries in the North American factories at TWh scale by the late 2020s, as planned, then the IRA manufacturing incentives will be more than $41B *annually*.

$45/kWh = $45B/TWh

The Benchmark Intelligence figures estimating $7B in credits at the peak in 2029 before the incentives start sunsetting implies Tesla will be producing only 150 GWh of eligible batteries in ‘29. Just the existing plans for Nevada + Texas + Lathrop exceed this amount. If you’re going to argue that the company’s official projections are wrong by an order of magnitude, then at least have the courtesy to state that explicitly so the readers have some context and give a rationale for why your estimates differ so greatly from company guidance.

And not only that, but also they’re saying that both GM and Ford each will somehow be adding battery production capacity several times faster than Tesla will in the coming years. What a joke…

Last edited:
I rented a Model Y at Miami International for a visit to the Florida Keys and The Everglades. The experience was flawless but for one minor hiccup. The screen language was set in Spanish. While I could've worked with that, it would have been impossible for my Thai girlfriend. While I had owned a P3D prior to moving to Thailand, I could not remember which menu to access s to switch to English. I finally figured that out and off we went on a great adventure thoroughly enhanced by our LR Model Y. And that extended test drive only reinforced my decision to get a Y in Phuket once Tesla officially arrived here in The Kingdom.

Now I'm waiting for my shiny new blue LR Model Y to arrive from Shanghai to once again be a proud owner of the best vehicle made (on Earth😎). And my girlfriend better not request Thai as the primary screen language or I will be screwed!🤪
Seems that Hertz or other car rental companies need a simple reset between each hiring. I'm sure Tesla could help if asked.

"Their manipulative practices allow them to create fake liquidity in a particular security, making it easier for them to execute trades at their desired price, which is not possible for other market participants."

Why does this sound familiar? Who would have thought that one of the biggest and most profitable hedge funds in history that also happens to be one of the largest TSLA market makers could have such an advantage in the markets. /s

I've rented MY from Hertz twice. All good, except not having the app access sucks. It is like having 1/2 of the MY utility.

Somebody has to make app access especially for current Tesla owners.
I noticed quite a few members of this board have rented Teslas on Hertz before.

I have a suggestion that has worked for my wife and I many times.

Rent a Tesla on turo. It is way simpler than renting on Hertz. it's also less expensive and finally you're giving your money to what is usually a Tesla fanboy...(like me)..

I rent one of my Tesla's out on turo and it works great. I actually do it for the mission I don't need the money thanks to Tesla stock..

Last edited:
I noticed quite a few members of this board have rented Teslas on Hertz before.

I have a suggestion that has worked for my wife and I many times.

Rent a Tesla on turo. It is way simpler than renting on Hertz. it's also less expensive and finally you're giving your money to what is usually a Tesla fanboy...(like me)..

I rent one of my Tesla's out on turo and it works great. I actually do it for the mission I don't need the money thanks to Tesla stock..

I've done that too. I rented a Model 3 via turo on the Big Island in Hawaii last December. It went pretty well. But lack of Supercharging on the island, and not even an outdoor 120V at the place we were staying, made charging a bit problematic. I made do with a lot of L2 charging at a local shopping center, but also had to endure the wrath from my family about "renting such an impractical car"...

Note there are a few CCS chargers around the island. And I even brought my CCS adapter with me. But it turned out his 2021 Model 3 was one that has a "nerfed" charge port ECU. So I couldn't use CCS.

The ICEburg is finally melting:

Martin Viecha on Twitter: "It's quite astonishing that the argument of "6 kilos of lithium in a battery pack is somehow worse than 30,000 kilos of lifetime gas use" is still somehow getting traction. 6 kilos of lithium will be recycled for 100+ years. 30k kilos of gasoline will burn and disappear." / Twitter

Bennett on Twitter: "@MartinViecha Battery packs can be recycled and reused, Gasoline cannot. Once it’s burned it’s gone." / Twitter​

JPSartre on Twitter: "@MartinViecha It doesn’t disappear It creates CO2 and increases green house effect." / Twitter​