Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say more weird if true... I mean either FSD needs radar or it doesn't.... if it doesn't, why add it back to S/X? If it does, why leave it out of the HW4 Y?
Random guesses:

They found the new cameras removed the need for radar, but only had the data to support that after the fact.

They used radar enabled cars for field data collection (ground truthing).

Radar pairs with Level 4/5.

S/X top speed needs radar for AEB/FCW.

Tesla are now making the radar..
1686634212809.png

I mean, sure... that was true when HW3 first came out too.

But within a year HW3 cars had capabilities HW2.x cars never got, and more of them over time. Fortunately HW2.x owners could get them by buying FSD and getting the free HW3 upgrade.

HW3 owners will have no such opportunity as capabilities come out exclusive to HW4.

Well yeah, it'd have to be given we know HW3 has been out of compute, even using both nodes as effectively a single node (and taking the performance hit doing that entails), for years now.

Eventually they'll need to be able to run the full stack in a single node after all for redundancy if they want any hope of L4 or better so 3x would be the BARE minimum better to have any chance at all of that goal... and it's entirely possible even 5x won't be enough.

As I've pointed out before, until someone actually solves this, nobody knows how much compute is "enough"

I think this is more Elon BS. All reports are that 11.4 works great on HW4.

There's no reason why they would train new NN.

Anyone buy this?
No reason for a new NN? You think they would double the number of TRIP cores (plus internal changes) and then not update the software to utilize them?

Unless HW4 is running one (or more) versions behind HW3 as they cross port it, it may be more accurate to say HW4 is not currently more advanced than HW3 versus HW4 is less advanced.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I assume they mean no reason for a new NN to make it on parity with HW3..... in the case of HW2->3 there WAS a reason that HW3 might be worse at first -- the computer architecture was totally different so they were having to do SW emulation of HW2.x on HW3.

That's that not true here.... the HW is largely the same but more, faster, newer cores of the same general ARM nature- so there's no reason at all it couldn't be running the HW3 code with minimal effort natively and plenty of spare compute left over for gathering fleet data to get a HW4 specific one ready later.

I assume they mean no reason for a new NN to make it on parity with HW3..... in the case of HW2->3 there WAS a reason that HW3 might be worse at first -- the computer architecture was totally different so they were having to do SW emulation of HW2.x on HW3.

That's that not true here.... the HW is largely the same but more, faster, newer cores of the same general ARM nature- so there's no reason at all it couldn't be running the HW3 code with minimal effort natively and plenty of spare compute left over for gathering fleet data to get a HW4 specific one ready later.
Yeah, though that would be "no reason to *need to* train a new NN" ;-)
Except they likely tweaked the chip itself and so may be running emulated compatibility mode which means more cycles on HW4 for the same code versus utilizing the updated architecture.

Or like I said, it may be that HW4 ! > HW3 aka HW4 <= HW3 currently versus HW4 < HW3 .

No reason for a new NN? You think they would double the number of TRIP cores (plus internal changes) and then not update the software to utilize them?

Unless HW4 is running one (or more) versions behind HW3 as they cross port it, it may be more accurate to say HW4 is not currently more advanced than HW3 versus HW4 is less advanced.
We know HW4 can and is running the most recent version of FSD in 11.4.X and all reports are it runs it really well.

11.3.6 doesn't work with HW4 or Tesla isn't enabling it to run on HW4.