Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cost isn't everything...but I remember hearing that the effective diesel cost in a war zone was something like $400 dollars per gallon. I think that was probably more than 10 years ago, and probably related to Afghanistan or Iraq. Additionally, there are a whole bunch of people at risk every time a tanker of fuel has to drive out to the war zone with a protection detail.

If, for example, you only had to haul out a system of solar panels and batteries once to a forward operating base, then the savings (in both $ and human risk) could be considerable.

Obviously, tons more considerations and logistics that would need to be worked out...and it's not going to work for ALL of the needed vehicles. But, if any of those vehicles can reasonably be swapped to electric, then there could be some advantages, cost savings, and human risk reduction.
BIG extension cables ! Certainly no reason tankers could not be replaced by Trucks hauling mega packs. As you say the possibilities for field recharging the mega packs are quite extensive and much more flexible than Oil based products.

Could be related to the rumor of new seats in china?
Or maybe they realized how many more vehicles they could make (or $ save) if they dedicated a line for black interior. Upon review of my white one, it affects the dash, all 4 doors, and the seats. Plus... maybe Optimus is only good at one color so far. 🤷‍♂️

I'm pretty sure that the white interior is currently only on Fremont built Model Ys.

And given that they have now removed the white option from the only variant that is exclusively built at GigaTexas that would make me think that there is enough demand for black interior Model Y AWDs, and that they aren't planning to add white interior production to GigaTexas anytime soon.

I do wonder why that is, it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, but maybe there is a shortage of the white material?
Probably the demand for white in the AWD was too low to justify it on the line in Texas.

I'm pretty sure that the white interior is currently only on Fremont built Model Ys.

And given that they have now removed the white option from the only variant that is exclusively built at GigaTexas that would make me think that there is enough demand for black interior Model Y AWDs, and that they aren't planning to add white interior production to GigaTexas anytime soon.

I do wonder why that is, it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, but maybe there is a shortage of the white material?
Perhaps 4680 production has significantly improved, allowing Tesla to produce more Model Y AWDs. Tesla has been pushing hard to produce and sell more and more Model Y's to close the quarter, and removing the white seat option may help them eke out a few hundred or thousand more units due to the reduction of switches. Even the Model Y AWD configurations in inventory are completely absent of the white seat option.

This Sunday, CVPR 2023 Workshop on End-to-End Autonomous Driving. Tesla's Phil Duan is presenting "Building Vision Foundation Models for Autonomous Driving".

Hoping someone is registered and can report back for us all :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614-171201.png
    Screenshot_20230614-171201.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 61
I was bummed when Lucid did their EV drivetrain comparison to Tesla, and it looked superior in several ways. I was kind of hoping that at least they weren’t competitive on cost, but Munro’s analysis indicates the Lucid drivetrain is superior on power density, efficiency and cost.

I know that Tesla has many other advantages in other areas, but I’m greedy and I want them to be more advanced in every single area!

I was bummed when Lucid did their EV drivetrain comparison to Tesla, and it looked superior in several ways. I was kind of hoping that at least they weren’t competitive on cost, but Munro’s analysis indicates the Lucid drivetrain is superior on power density, efficiency and cost.

I know that Tesla has many other advantages in other areas, but I’m greedy and I want them to be more advanced in every single area!

Let the asskicking begin in Tesla engineering.

There is one important metric on which Tesla is far and away leading Lucid, and that is manufacturability. The Tesla drivetrain may not technically be as advanced as Lucid's, but it's easier to make at high volumes, and that is much more important to Tesla than the other metrics.

If Lucid was making 2 million cars per year, then they'd have something. I mean seriously, for the price a Lucid costs it better dang well be the best performing powertrain out there!

It's such a cheap tactic to try and say "Ooooh don't get excited we'll still raise 2 more times" when we all know they're full of it. The next 2-3 CPI prints are going to come in very good. We all know it. Wall St knows it. Fed will have no legs to stand on to hike rates again.

The macro's are going to sell off on this...not because Wall St actually believes that nonsense Powell is saying, but because they want an excuse to ride the market down for a good 5-8% drop, claim the market was just correcting, and then ride it back up to these levels and higher in a matter of weeks.

It's all like clockwork at this point.