Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla too efficient for even China? Hurting their sales? Just wait until labor is replaced by Optimus.

Its years out, but the new Factory site requirements will change. Cheap labor no longer the incentive, criteria becomes resources, distribution and tax incentives. Then again, what’s in it for the country if there is minimal hiring? Just some thought on how the dynamics will change with battery powered employees.

Copied from article on Yahoo Finance. SK Signet the latest to join.

You know what? I think Tesla might be onto something with this NACS thing.

UPDATE 1-SK Signet to launch EV chargers with Tesla's charging standard this year

By Hyunjoo Jin and Samrhitha A

June 15 (Reuters) - SK Signet said on Thursday it will introduce electric-vehicle chargers compatible with Tesla's technology this year, following recent moves by major automakers Ford and GM to adopt Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS).

Electric vehicle charging companies are cautiously embracing Tesla's charging design, as they are in danger of losing out on customers if they offer only the Combined Charging System (CCS) backed by automakers like Volkswagen and Hyundai Motor.

SK Signet, which counts charging station operators Electrify America, EVgo and others as its customers, said it has started development of its ultra-fast chargers that will be able to simultaneously charge EVs using NACS and CCS.

The White House last week said that EV charging stations that offer Tesla plugs would be eligible for billions of dollars in federal subsidies as long as they included CCS connectivity. The White House aims to spur deployment of hundreds of thousands of chargers, which it sees as integral to EV adoption.

"SK Signet will continue to expand charging options for EVs, including those with NACS standards, to support the build-out of a robust U.S. charging network," said Seung-June Oh, president of SK Signet America.

SK Signet, acquired by South Korea's conglomerate SK Group in 2021, is one of the major charging equipment makers. Earlier this month, the company opened its first U.S. manufacturing center in Texas, with the capacity to make more than 10,000 ultra-fast chargers a year. (Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin in San Francisco and Samrhitha Arunasalam in Bengaluru Editing by Maju Samuel and Matthew Lewis)
Another previously announced adoptee was EverCharge, also owned by SK, which has several related companies trading under various names.

More fuel to the fire from that video talking about Chinese EV surplus. In this thinly sourced Reuters article, they suggest that China has been foot dragging on giving Tesla permission to expand its Shanghai footprint (by 750K vehicles annually) due to concerns their entire EV industry has massive overcapacity. They are basically trying to protect their local manufacturers supposedly.

Personally, I think this article rings true, and I could totally see China doing this. If true, it’ll put a speed bump in Teslas near term expansion plans, as they’ll have to build a factory elsewhere AND build out a new local supply chain.
Ok, so if this is true is it really that big a deal? I’ve read a number of posts here of people not liking how much of Tesla’s business/growth is coming out of China. A number of people should be cheering this that Tesla will be forced to spread their business to other countries further reducing associated risks (natural disasters, political climates etc…)

Additionally, it makes Tesla even more globally known and depended on for locale and country employment, infrastructure and other associated economic benefits. The path to world domination can come in many forms.

Ultimately, anyone who screws Tesla always eventually pays the Piper. China will be no exception.

More fuel to the fire from that video talking about Chinese EV surplus. In this thinly sourced Reuters article, they suggest that China has been foot dragging on giving Tesla permission to expand its Shanghai footprint (by 750K vehicles annually) due to concerns their entire EV industry has massive overcapacity. They are basically trying to protect their local manufacturers supposedly.

Personally, I think this article rings true, and I could totally see China doing this. If true, it’ll put a speed bump in Teslas near term expansion plans, as they’ll have to build a factory elsewhere AND build out a new local supply chain.
I believe China values Tesla and doesn't want them to redirect their energy to India. We know Reuters isn't necessarily reliable.

Ok, so if this is true is it really that big a deal? I’ve read a number of posts here of people not liking how much of Tesla’s business/growth is coming out of China. A number of people should be cheering this that Tesla will be forced to spread their business to other countries further reducing associated risks (natural disasters, political climates etc…)

Additionally, it makes Tesla even more globally known and depended on for locale and country employment, infrastructure and other associated economic benefits. The path to world domination can come in many forms.

Ultimately, anyone who screws Tesla always eventually pays the Piper. China will be no exception.
Besides, the French are begging, mon Dieux!

I don't think this comment about demographics will get me banned.....

Today, Tesla has higher sales in larger metropolitan areas. There are many reasons for this, but one is that the value proposition for an EV is higher in a large city where folks have longer commutes and less need for large pickup trucks.

So the reason Teslas are sold more to Democrats than Republicans may actually have little to do with one's politics. It could be just a correlation with where Democrats and Republicans tend to live.
And seeing how I'm replying to your post and not @Buckminster 's...

Why Does that carve out Ram separately from Dodge?

All the other circles are makes... not models...

1686925518762.jpeg

Loving the spike this morning!
My ultra bullishness forced me to go on a long bike ride yesterday but….. IM BACK BABY. I’m sure the MMs will have their way but hopefully we close above their strike price. Good luck all

View attachment 947554
Loving the spike this morning!
My ultra bullishness forced me to go on a long bike ride yesterday but….. IM BACK BABY. I’m sure the MMs will have their way but hopefully we close above their strike price. Good luck all

That wasn't a spike. It was an inverted morning dip. /s

I like to think that the MMs are battling against Institutional, FOMO, and covering (cowering?) Shorties all buying simultaneously.

What is VPP count 140 for California ?

I know about sunedison(?) and PG&E. I am on the PG&E VPP alongside 5270 fleet homes according to my tesla app.
Here's the source. Looks like there are many more out there.

Is Tesla too efficient for even China? Hurting their sales? Just wait until labor is replaced by Optimus.

Its years out, but the new Factory site requirements will change. Cheap labor no longer the incentive, criteria becomes resources, distribution and tax incentives. Then again, what’s in it for the country if there is minimal hiring? Just some thought on how the dynamics will change with battery powered employees.
Elon’s companies outcompete everyone. Btw, I’ve read elsewhere that China hasn’t had low cost labor for quite a while now.

Frankly, I think it would be a good thing if Tesla decided to build a factory in, say, South Korea, or India. You can never trust China’s government to do something that would disrupt industry there. We’ve most recently seen what they did to their own tech sector when they put the brakes on Alibaba, Tencent and others.

Elon’s companies outcompete everyone. Btw, I’ve read elsewhere that China hasn’t had low cost labor for quite a while now.

Frankly, I think it would be a good thing if Tesla decided to build a factory in, say, South Korea, or India. You can never trust China’s government to do something that would disrupt industry there. We’ve most recently seen what they did to their own tech sector when they put the brakes on Alibaba, Tencent and others.

Is there anything to prevent Tesla from buying into other Chinese companies as a partner, sharing their expertise to apply their technology in order to increase those companies' quality and production, and in doing so, massively accelerating the pace of transition?

Edit: While sharing in the profits of course.

No it was a failure of business straategy. @petit_bateau is making very good points backed up by hard numbers.
And this is something I see all the time. Do you think those numbers are more data that tesla itself has ? Do you think there could be some numbers Tesla mgmt has that made them choose a different path ? Is it possible you have incomplete data and thus jumping to the wrong conclusion ?

See the same pattern with orders. Tesla dropped the price, must be lack of demand. Tesla has near instant/real time feedback of orders coming in. They make small adjustments to make sure they clear out inventory nothing more. The long term positive feedback loops for EVs are massive. Once those change, yes we can revisit the demand issue ie has climate change stopped impacting society ? has the taint of war/blackmail decreased for fossil fuels ? have govts stopped incentivizing electric/renewables ? has ICE come up with a compelling answer to EV perf, low maint, cost / mile (for fleets).

It looks like FSD has it’s first competition.

It looks like it’s currently geofenced, but then they also talk about extending past that, so kind of hard to evaluate?

I wonder if the functionality (smoothness, # of interventions…) will be equivalent to current FSD or FSD from years ago?

Weren't there some YT / weechat videos leaked showing the Xpeng system having severe lane-keeping problems? Like, much worse than the early AP1 days.

Btw, I’ve read elsewhere that China hasn’t had low cost labor for quite a while now.
A bit OT... I believe it was an average of $8/hr in China (saw this recently somewhere). Vietnam, Mexico, and other places were still cheaper, but also rising - just not in the usual way IMO. Virtual contract jobs are pumping this average up. I'm using some myself, multiple countries and their wages are rising pretty darn fast. This lifts the average wage up and divides classes IMO, but I doubt it moves the needle much on the lower end for manual labor - assuming there are hands to fill them.

But to your point, Apple is planning to shift some capacity to India, likely same reasons. And I'm wondering who to call in Mexico, I could drive there it's so close.