Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh.

The day after I took delivery of my May 2018 build TM3, 02 Jun 2018, I experienced my first phantom braking episode whilst using TACC, which AFAIK was/is my only choice for cruise control.
I believe there was a short period with the Model 3 in 2018 where you had to buy even basic autopilot paired with TACC, then they quickly made it standard. I don't have Autopilot or TACC on my 2018 Performance, it is just standard cruise control. It does not slow for the car in front of you and I have never experienced phantom braking.

So if anyone wants to trade for this very special no phantom braking standard cruise control Tesla, my wife and I agreed we would take a new 2023 Model 3 Performance (White/Black Interior) on trade.

Last edited:
That is what I don't understand. My lights always come on when I am in the car. And I thought DRL is a requirement for all modern cars

DRL does not equal proper headlights on many cars. You have to have proper headlights on in the rain in most states and just assuming a cars DRLs are enough is not accurate in many cases.

I haven't paid attention to how Tesla implements DRL across the SEXY line so i won't make a statement as to how that plays out.

Just keep in mind DRL does not equal headlights as a rule.

edit: Model 3 owners manual says

"The rear tail lights are off when daytime running lights are on. Be sure the rear lights are on during low rear visibility conditions (for example, when it is dark, foggy, snowy, or the road is wet, etc.). Failure to do so can cause damage or serious injury."

So by that explination DRLs aren't the same as turning on your headlights because when you turn on your headlights you are also turning on tail lights.

DRL does not equal proper headlights on many cars. You have to have proper headlights on in the rain in most states and just assuming a cars DRLs are enough is not accurate in many cases.

I haven't paid attention to how Tesla implements DRL across the SEXY line so i won't make a statement as to how that plays out.

Just keep in mind DRL does not equal headlights as a rule.

edit: Model 3 owners manual says

"The rear tail lights are off when daytime running lights are on. Be sure the rear lights are on during low rear visibility conditions (for example, when it is dark, foggy, snowy, or the road is wet, etc.). Failure to do so can cause damage or serious injury."

So by that explination DRLs aren't the same as turning on your headlights because when you turn on your headlights you are also turning on tail lights.
Headlights come on when the wipers are on.

Headlights come on when the wipers are on.
Tell that to Phil W. Oh and please do read the entire thread and stay with the conversation. It's not good for the flow of conversation if people are responding to a post without realizing the context.

Driving thru MA yesterday in the rain my wipers worked fine EXCEPT that there are signs that MA law says if your wipers are on your headlights MUST be on, so I had to go to manual to get them on. Worse yet when I parked the manual lights stayed on. The good news was the car then b*****d at me to shut the lights off.

Errr... the Y is the best selling vehicle in the world... but isn't outselling the next best car 3:1- nor even 2:1, more like 5-10% higher than #2.... So if CT was performing similarly it'd be around 250k annual sales, not 750k. and Y is a LOT less polarizing a design than CT is. It's also significantly cheaper than the CT is likely to be in the early years.

Also your target #s are 2-3x higher than Elon said they plan to actually make of the thing- having recently cited 250k and maybe higher depending on demand annually, and specifically pointing out it's been hard to make it more affordable (and I expect Elons cited production #s reflect their expected high pricing and what demand at that pricing is likely to look like)
@Knightshade, read the quote of the article highlighted in my post. Figures for Tesla Model Y (127, 541) and Ford F150 Series (240,000) were for the first four months of 2023. Extrapolating for full year is (12 month / 4 months) or 3X. So Ford can expect 240,000 X 3 or 720,000 F150 sales for 2023, and these are USA figures only. I stand by my prediction that within three to four years, Cybertruck will outsell F150. + 72,000 for Canada (1/10th the population of USA) and we are up to +-800,000. Through in another 200,000 for the rest of the world and Cybertruck hits one million annual sales.

And as far as Elon's comments, I don't believe a word he says. Seriously, do you think Elon thought Model Y would be the best selling car in the world in 2023 before Tesla started production in March 2020? No way. That distinction was supposed to be the smaller, less expensive Model 2. And yet here we are my friend.

And as far as Elon's comments, I don't believe a word he says. Seriously, do you think Elon thought Model Y would be the best selling car in the world in 2023 before Tesla started production in March 2020? No way. That distinction was supposed to be the smaller, less expensive Model 2. And yet here we are my friend.
I'm pretty sure Elon has stated on multiple earnings calls that he thought the Model Y would be the best selling car.

Tell that to Phil W. Oh and please do read the entire thread and stay with the conversation. It's not good for the flow of conversation if people are responding to a post without realizing the context.
💯! Everyone should have to sign an oath under penalties of perjury that they have read every one of the 20,915 pages of posts in the investment thread before posting a response to any post about headlights. Probably best to have the document notarized as well.

I’ll go back to never posting since I don’t have my form completed.

Faraday Future uses cloud-based AI to offer great flexibility:
Review :
The voice activation worked very well and would understand commands even if you didn't ask it a certain way. There's no need to say "navigate to..." before the address like to have to in many vehicles. You could say "Take me to..." or "Let's go to..." or "I want a hamburger" and the system will intelligently understand what you're asking for. When asking for a dining destination, the navigation screen shows many options in the area and has the establishment's ratings and Yelp reviews available.

Video queued up to demonstrate:

Of course, FF wants $15K annually for this feature..
FSD already does most of that. I can just hit the mic button and say "Whole Foods" or "Portillo's" and it'll just go into Navigation mode to that location. If there's more than one Whole Foods, it brings up a list and you just select the location you want and it starts Navigation.

You can also say something like "pizza restaurant" and it'll list all the nearby pizza places. If you click the name, it'll activate Navigation mode. If you click the pin next to the name, it'll bring up an info bubble with star rating, $ rating and Navigation, call and website buttons. It does show number of reviews from the source it gets the rating from but doesn't allow you to see the actual reviews so that's a nice feature that Faraday has. Maybe that's coming soon...

I'm pretty sure Elon has stated on multiple earnings calls that he thought the Model Y would be the best selling car.
...and to supply some evidence (actually at the Annual General Meeting, not earnings call) but here is a quote from 2021:

"But I...I almost got arrested at one point for claiming we would do 5,000 in one week. Literally. Hahaha, you're laughing now. Anyway, this is great. We think the Model Y will be the best selling vehicle of any kind globally."
-Elon Musk

Yes, Elon estimated Model Y would become the best selling car by revenue in 2022, and the best selling car by volume in 2023.

Well, back in 2013 Egon also predicted 500K cars in 2020, so there's that... ;)

Cheers!

Doesn't it do that automatically? Daylight running lights?

Michael
Daytime running lights and full headlamps are two different things.

Daytime running lights are useless for helping the driver see; they are simply an aid to be seen by oncoming traffic.

Edit: a reasonable analogy would be the difference between anti collision lights and landing lights on a commercial airliner.

Reactions: unk45 and jerry33
European sales seem likely decrease again QoQ.

Why do we think European demand seems to be weaker even with signficant price cuts?

The eurozone slipped into recession in the first three months of the year, after official figures were revised to show the bloc’s economy shrank as the rising cost of living weighed on consumer spending.

Price cuts and reduced demand are what I would expect in a recession.

In a recession market share is a more relevant metric. Deliveries are also lumpy and unpredictable, early predictions are useless, wait for the official numbers.

Global deliveries are what count, a growth in US deliveries may compensate for lower delivers if Europe, assuming that happens.

Model Y was unveiled March 14/19. Production deliveries commenced March 13/20. Musk's projection of Model Y becoming best selling car was first stated on April 27/21. If you have different information showing Elon's prediction prior to March 13/30 please share.

The lumens (or whatever the correct technical term for DRL specification are) are much less on DRLs than on the actual low beams.
The reason DRLs are the way they are is because when the specs were written the automakers said that their electrical systems wouldn't cope with running headlights all the time.

so i am minding my own business, seeing patients on a Holiday at my Clinic. my wife, CEO of our company, comes in this afternoon and tells me that
there is potential risk of prescription lithium carbonate shortage by 2024 . never in my last 38+ years of medicine have i ever heard of lithium carbonate, which our Clinic widely prescribes for treatment of Bipolar disorder, suicidality, treatment refractory Depression etc being at risk of short supply. Lithium is a potentially life saving treatment and if LiCo3 goes into shortage it will have life-threatening consequences for psychiatric patients. ! i will send a tweet to Elon.