Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of internal to the pack aren't made in house most likely

And besides, those packs are made in China, Tesla Shanghai can make and send the needed parts, no need to ship from the US and back. The big parts like the house have no secret in making them, so it's not unlikely both have a line making them
Even if they only need to move 2 miles, that's a major logistics pain to rearrange when they've already internally optimized the flow for existing parts.

Now we can stop arguing about advertising right? Right?
View attachment 951292

I believe there was news recently that another "Musk company" had negotiated with google and was paying google again after some kind of disagreement.

Further detail on Tesla adverts:-

1687886384411.png

I saw something somewhere suggesting that Highland reduces the time taken to build a Model 3.
If the upgrade includes the areas I think it does, wiring harness, steering, brakes, that reduced assembly time seems plausible.

Less time to build a car, means more production from the same line. Not major, but every bit helps.
Personally, I think less space to build a Model 3 is more important to Tesla in Fremont. Freeing up space makes many more long-term improvements possible. Reducing time just adds a step-improvement to yield. Both are important of course, but getting the BIW scaled back for the Model 3 will create a lot of opportunities.

It is thought that 4680 machinery had gone to Berlin for installation, but before being installed was then sent to Austin where it is now operating. The reason being the US-IRA domestic manufacturing subsidies.

Well in January 2024 there are EU rules due to come in to force which will give rise to a 10% import tariff on non-EU sourced cells. The tariffs will ramp more as time goes on.

Point being that it would be good to see some 4680 machinery starting to turn up in Berlin, or else this will affect even the Berlin-origin Y. Naturally it will also affect the Shanghai sourced 3 and the Fremont sourced S/X.
IIRC this was mainly to streamline process and not to shift production to Austin; they apparently had some unexpected barriers coming up and upgrades were needed. Tesla's second 4680 plant in Fremont suggests there might be a step-change happening soon in process.

I would be surprised if Berlin is not putting out meaningful quantities of 4680s in Q4. They will still need the LFP modules, but maybe they can hit ~3k/week on 4680 Y's.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Wall St wants TSLA to go down so badly to make money on the downside and then flip to bullish to ride it higher.
That's the game. Volatility is a great way to make money when you control the direction. Fortunately it is kind of predictable; TSLA has no business being at $300 before production numbers come out; that creates a huge amount of risk.

I hope $300 is a floor after earnings though.

Personally, I think less space to build a Model 3 is more important to Tesla in Fremont. Freeing up space makes many more long-term improvements possible. Reducing time just adds a step-improvement to yield. Both are important of course, but getting the BIW scaled back for the Model 3 will create a lot of opportunities.
So hopefully building the Model 3 Highland won't be as "in tents"...

"The new SAE NACS connector standard will be developed on an expedited timeframe and is one of several key initiatives to strengthen the North American EV charging infrastructure," SAE International, a standards-developing organization for engineers, said in a statement on Tuesday.

It's going to be pretty rough for the other automakers for the next year or two, trying to sell cars with the wrong charge port.

"The new SAE NACS connector standard will be developed on an expedited timeframe and is one of several key initiatives to strengthen the North American EV charging infrastructure," SAE International, a standards-developing organization for engineers, said in a statement on Tuesday.

It's going to be pretty rough for the other automakers for the next year or two, trying to sell cars with the wrong charge port.
Now will the Federal "standard" for funds be changed to embrace the better emerging standard???

That's the game. Volatility is a great way to make money when you control the direction. Fortunately it is kind of predictable; TSLA has no business being at $300 before production numbers come out; that creates a huge amount of risk.

I hope $300 is a floor after earnings though.
Earnings would have to show margins rebounding to the mid 20's for $300 to be a new floor for the stock. I don't think it's impossible but we need Austin/Berlin to average 5k/week for us to get there imo. 5k/week average is very important for gross margins and as long as Austin/Berlin are materially below 5k/week, they're a drag on overall gross margin for Tesla.

Energy revenue needs to grow even faster than it did over the past year so that the margin improvement there starts to help overall GM instead of still being a drag on it.

It's possible that there might be some material increase in monthly FSD subscriptions since newer releases are showing good progress + a lot of the delivery growth for tesla is coming from the US, which is the only place FSD is offered (thanks to Austin production ramp + Shanghai now supplying Canada).

The other wildcard factor is when drop in cost of commodities and goods that we've been seeing for the past 6+ months will finally start to show up in Tesla's earnings. Probably need a combination of all of those things for gm to return to mid 20's this quarter.

Last edited:
That was published February 14th. Any idea what has happened in the intervening 4 months? Have to admit I have heard nothing
I certainly not the person ask regarding the pace of union organizing. But the facility is in NY, a hotbed pro-union sentiment. The union involved is not the UAW. Lastly, the facility manufacturers Tesla charging equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33