Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick newbie question, I don't understand the Tesla graph below. From wikipedia, the top computer in the world is 1.6 ExaFlops. In 2024, Is Tesla aiming to be 100x more powerful with 100 Exa-Flops? And if you have 1/3rd of GPus in early2024, are you at 33Exaflops? It doesn't match the top 5 in the world (approx. 1Exa-flop).

View attachment 954912
View attachment 954913
Wikipedia, reference of last resort. It's great if you don't know the subject because you get keywords to search for so you can find an authoritative reference. Also FLOPS are often marketing FLOPS rather than real world performance.

• Helpful
Reactions: wws and oldTAVguy
8 trading days including today going into ER
TSLA can go down/sideways into ER which would be better
I don’t particularly want a major pre-earnings huge run up necessarily
Interesting times ahead
As long as monthly chart stays in positive overall, I’m goodView attachment 954919
@TrendTrader007
yet your graphs are _Monthly_ but you are talking _daily_.
I _think_ I see monthly MACD, RSI, Candlesticks, Vol, Accum/Dist in filled and line, not granular enuf for daily

(I have been looking at charts since the early mid 1980's and agree there is a lot of divination and scrying to apply, along with crossed eyes to see 3D objects at times)

I would _HIGHLY_ recommend reading cover to cover, several times and _taking_ to heart the lessons in
Edward R Tufte's
"The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" (his first book I stumbled across)
(often found in used book stores, I have a few I have gifted)

(I suspect quants et al have already done this a lot, but)

There is a combined display of why it's a _very_ bad idea to invade Russia, Chas Minard's graph of 7 items in 1 chart done shortly before Minard's death
400,0000 troops becoming 10,000
temperatures
directions
timeline
troops drowning in very cold rivers
(I leave it to the student for the rest)
(If you want english, google "Minard graph)
1689010847558.png

Your graphs are fairly illegible to others than yourself, if you wish to convey usable information, present it coherently for both yourself and others

meanwhile, I shall just HODL, plus reread "Look to Windward" by Iain M Banks

Last edited:
This share price at this time is just absurd...
which is why I don't trust anyone's valuation for 2030 and beyond. Been here since 2012, and I see you have as well, and the market should have accepted Tesla by now. But goalposts are moved and so IF it is around 2030 or the next huge run up, I'm pulling out. This company will never be valued like it should be. Sucks. So I'm patiently waiting and keeping track of Tesla's progress. We know cars and battery storage are set, but FSD and bots + share price will determine when I pull out.

I have seen several articles the last few days about EVs sticking around on dealer lots. Basically our EV sales stalling. None of them really mention that the price cuts on Tesla's and the full $7500 tax credit is really smacking competitors in the face. Why buy an arguably inferior product for more $ and iffy chance at getting the tax credit.

Really the solutions are quite simple and specific IMHO.
First, tax all short sales including any made by market makers, say, 2% of security price when shorted, deducted from transaction at time of short initiation;
Second, tax securities lending operations by taxing borrowers 3% of borrowed share value and lenders also 3%, each deducted at initiation date;
Third, tax gains on shorted stock sale at mandatory 15% of gain, deducted from proceeds;
Those are wildly implausible in the present environment, although FDR would have liked it;

How come I don't hear discussion about catching falling knives? It's not like it used to be around here. Or did those past knife catchers bleed-out around 110, leaving only the pure HODLers and some new high-rollers?
The drop right now is macro; it isn't about TSLA. Predicting what will happen on the macro side is a different art than believing in a company.
I have seen several articles the last few days about EVs sticking around on dealer lots. Basically our EV sales stalling. None of them really mention that the price cuts on Tesla's and the full $7500 tax credit is really smacking competitors in the face. Why buy an arguably inferior product for more $ and iffy chance at getting the tax credit.
You also have the fact that many of the legacy dealers (and potentially manufacturers) really want to slow down EV sales as much as they possibly can. It will severely damage their business.

I forgot another revenue source that Tesla will likely have by 2030. This has NOT been announced, so this is speculation.

Tesla is moving to a 48V architecture and I suspect will be building many of these components in house as the suppliers just haven’t been moving fast enough in that direction. I suspect that Gigafactory Mexico will be manufacturing a lot of these 48v components, and I suspect Tesla will sell these to the industry.

That’s quite a speculation chain, but … you heard it here first 😄

If I understand your point, module in sourcing was announced by Tesla. Cybertruck has 85% Tesla design modules.
As to supplying modules to other OEMs, I hope not for the engineer's sake.
Tesla purchasing of 48V components should help reduce cost which would potentially increase adoption.

SmartSelect_20230710_142308_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Both Jordan and Elon are on the same page here. Tesla has many times tried to address this impending issue from their production plan presentations while Elon actively begging raw material suppliers to ramp up production with the promise of unlimited money. This doesn't sound exactly like "there're plenty of raw materials to go around" in the near future to me.

Building new mines (hard rock spodumene mining or clays, etc.) aren't the only way to procure lithium compounds to refine. A large part of the current world supply is obtained from huge brine reservoirs found in in Chile and several other South American countries. Currently the brines are concentrated by evaporation ponds which must be huge since it takes so long. There are companies working on much more efficient ways to extract the lithium from the brine. Farther along in development is extraction of lithium from geothermal brines. Facilities to extract from geothermal brines are already being built over the Salton Sea in California. I'd conclude that Elon and Tesla are right to be focusing on refining rather than taking on difficult and expense to stand up new mining operations.

How a few geothermal plants could solve America’s lithium supply crunch and boost the EV battery industry
How a few geothermal plants could solve America's lithium supply crunch and boost the EV battery industry

Can we discuss a bit about the FBX index? Down 90% from the peak in late 2021. Has somebody done a proper analysis on this, reasons and so on? Is there a quantifiable impact on tesla earnings?
Ports got unclogged which is great news. Ships used to idle for days just to unload which increased freight cost to absurd levels and had a substantial affect on inflation.

I forgot another revenue source that Tesla will likely have by 2030. This has NOT been announced, so this is speculation.

Tesla is moving to a 48V architecture and I suspect will be building many of these components in house as the suppliers just haven’t been moving fast enough in that direction. I suspect that Gigafactory Mexico will be manufacturing a lot of these 48v components, and I suspect Tesla will sell these to the industry.

That’s quite a speculation chain, but … you heard it here first 😄

Tesla won't build most of the 48v components for its Monterrey Giga factory. Instead, about a hundred new supplier facilities are (even now) under construction in Nuevo Leon. One Chinese supplier, for example, is investing $100M in their new plant.

Tesla Looks for Local Parts Suppliers as It Builds Mexico Plant | BNN Bloomberg (June 10, 2023)