Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Timing is impeccable:

I'm impressed they mentioned the other cars name rather than "Tesla and another car".

I was travelling at 85-90mph the other day coming through Oklahoma in the Y (and still getting passed sometimes). I didn't record the numbers but I was very surprised by how little the extra speed cost me in terms of range. Most of my long road trips have been in winter so I think the cold disguised that efficiency.
I'm currently on a road trip and yesterday one leg of my trip was Casper to Sheridan WY. This is only 154 miles, but its across a windy prairie. Between the quite strong headwind, hills, and 100 degree heat, I ended up needing to draft a semi truck going anywhere about 60 mph despite an 80mph limit to reach Sheridan with the car complaining for the final hour that I needed to plan my charging but it doesn't know of any in range. I got there with about 5% left.

I could have presumably driven the speed limit and not ridden a semi's bumper with a 500 mile range.

Other times ive had range problems involve severe winter storms where there was a need to balance keeping the windshield melted with the car not running out of battery. I used 98% of the battery going from Boulder to Idaho Springs - only 45 miles! - but it took 5 hours with the heat on very high. I again would have greatly appreciated a much larger battery.

If you face mountains, wind, and extreme weather that "500" mile range is not so big after all. Not to mention towing (oops I mentioned it).

Timing is impeccable:

Impreza going 15 over and Tesla going 5 over (based on report and Google Street View) crashed head-on for unknown reasons.

South Lake man dies in head-on collision on Pioneer Trail

Timing is impeccable:

FUD not working like back in the day stonk is up :p

Very positive article titled "Premium for the people" on Tesla in German weekly zeit.de (behind paywall): ZEIT ONLINE | Lesen Sie zeit.de mit Werbung oder im PUR-Abo. Sie haben die Wahl.

It is citing the well-known German car industry analyst Ferdinand Dudenhöffer. The article is predicting that if things go well Tesla Grünheide might take over from Volkswagen´s Wolfsburg factory for the largest number of cars produced in a few years.

The article highlights Tesla's success in the automotive industry while other manufacturers face crises. Tesla's Grünheide factory in Germany is set to double its capacity, signaling the company's ambitions to become a major player. Tesla's Model Y is currently the best-selling car in Europe, outperforming both electric and combustion engine models. In 2022, Tesla sold 1.3 million cars worldwide, and if it achieves its target of over 2.1 million cars this year, it could overtake Audi as the third-place premium manufacturer and challenge BMW and Mercedes. Elon Musk aims to deliver 20 million electric cars by 2030, surpassing the sales of Toyota and VW combined.
Experts attribute Tesla's success to several factors. Despite the challenges faced by the auto industry, such as supply chain disruptions and declining demand, Tesla's efficient management of delivery bottlenecks sets it apart from other manufacturers. Tesla's involvement in the development and production of semiconductor chips and batteries enables more stable relationships with suppliers. Furthermore, Tesla's competitive advantage lies in its price-performance ratio and production efficiency. The company offers modern, digitally connected cars with a suitable battery range and reacts to weakening demand with significant price reductions. Tesla's profitability, earning 13 billion euros in profit last year, is attributed to its ability to offer attractive products and its efficient production processes.
Tesla's large state-of-the-art factories, known as gigafactories, equipped with advanced technology, contribute to the company's efficiency and cost savings. Tesla's focus on producing more uniform cars without excessive customization options enables leaner production. However, the article also acknowledges potential challenges for Tesla, including competition from Chinese manufacturers who may offer comparable prices, quality, and efficiency. Chinese automakers, such as BYD, have seen significant growth in global electric car sales and are closing the gap with Tesla.
In summary, Tesla's success is transforming the automotive industry, driven by its efficient production processes, competitive pricing, and innovative electric vehicles. While challenges and competition remain, Tesla's strong market position and ambitious goals position it as a key player in the evolving automotive landscape.

Coming from a law enforcement family I'm well aware of this, but MOST people are not:
"Cruising" in the left lane is illegal in every state that I am aware of (i.e. maintaining a presence in the left lane when space in the right lane is open). Most LEOs just don't write tickets for it anymore.

This was a curious statement, and I can not seem to confirm it's accurate.

That's a couple years old now, but shows a map of the US, and there's very few states in the "left lane travel prohibited unless overtaking or turning left" category... only 7 states total.... then 5 more with a similar law for both left and center lanes-- so only 12 total your statement appears to be true of.

The vast majority seem to simply be "must keep to right when slower than normal speed of traffic" and then a handfull more each of "Must yield left lane" to people trying to pass or "Must keep right if driving lower than speed limit"

I finally have closure now on why TSLA has been on a tear..it was thanks to Fraudstown motors (Author of this article may/may not be credible) :)

1689713995184.png

This was a curious statement, and I can not seem to confirm it's accurate.

That's a couple years old now, but shows a map of the US, and there's very few states in the "left lane travel prohibited unless overtaking or turning left" category... only 7 states total.... then 5 more with a similar law for both left and center lanes-- so only 12 total your statement appears to be true of.

The vast majority seem to simply be "must keep to right when slower than normal speed of traffic" and then a handfull more each of "Must yield left lane" to people trying to pass or "Must keep right if driving lower than speed limit"

And there's the rub, there is significant subjectivity of some of those.

"must keep to right when slower than normal speed of traffic" - well, normal speed of traffic is subjective. Is normal above the speed limit? Is it normal for all times, or normal per that time of day?

The fact of the matter is compared to Europe, most American drivers are assholes that think they BELONG in the left lane, even if someone is overtaking them. That sense of entitlement to the left lane is not legally justified. As pointed out by your article, cruising in the left is one of the primary causes of road rage, and passing on the right. Both lead to increased accident rates, injuries, and deaths on the roads.

Decades ago we had this figured out, the current driving population has regressed in this regard.

Mod: this is a rathole, down which we shall not proceed. --ggr

Timing is impeccable:

Holy crap. I think I saw the aftermath of this crash. The crash must've impacted another car since we saw a black/some other dark color SUV with moderate damage to one of the front corners off to one side of the street on our way to dinner. They blocked off the street of course, so I had to take a detour, and when I went around the block and looked back, I saw a disfigured car with a completely smashed windshield - figured the driver didn't survive. This was not a Tesla, but I didn't have enough time to identify the car make or model, and I couldn't see the other car involved.

Hopefully the Tesla driver was ok.

Edited: I just found out that an infant on the Tesla died. So sad.

I concur, just rented a Model Y on the east coast. Running AC and "keeping up wit the traffic" do not add up to stated range.

FYI, the speed limit on the 130 toll road that goes by the Austin Tesla factory is 80mph posted..................Trust me, Autobahn got nothing on Toll road 130.
Which begs the question- which gives us the best least bad mileage:?

A- Windows closed, A/C on
B- A/C off, windows open
C- AC on AND Windows open

Which begs the question- which gives us the best least bad mileage:?

A- Windows closed, A/C on
B- A/C off, windows open
C- AC on AND Windows open

A.

And Tesla's energy graphing could be used to prove this by driving the same route under similar conditions, in the same car, and reporting the data.

But windows open kills aerodynamics, much more so than range lost to A/C utilization.

I did it. I fully paid off my margin.

I really hated letting go of shares that I know will be worth > $1k each (and were worth > $400 at the peak) for only $293, but it gives a far greater sense of security.

Considering, I’m no longer working, being > 100% invested in Tesla was crazy! I was not at very high margin when we peaked at $4xx per share, but I bought more and increased it on the way down. It got pretty scary when we got down to $107 last year. Had it gone down below $80, I would have had margin calls and had to to sell nearly half of my position or risk losing my retirement altogether.

I know I won’t do as well in the long run, but I don’t want that stress anymore (or smaller monthly budgets). Life’s too short.

So yes margin paid off for me, but at my age, trading a year or more of very high stress for more money later in life was not wise.

Still ~90% Tesla, but I plan to reduce that gradually over time.

I did it. I fully paid off my margin.

I really hated letting go of shares that I know will be worth > $1k each (and were worth > $400 at the peak) for only $293, but it gives a far greater sense of security.

Considering, I’m no longer working, being > 100% invested in Tesla was crazy! I was not at very high margin when we peaked at $4xx per share, but I bought more and increased it on the way down. It got pretty scary when we got down to $107 last year. Had it gone down below $80, I would have had margin calls and had to to sell nearly half of my position or risk losing my retirement altogether.

I know I won’t do as well in the long run, but I don’t want that stress anymore (or smaller monthly budgets). Life’s too short.

So yes margin paid off for me, but at my age, trading a year or more of very high stress for more money later in life was not wise.

Still ~90% Tesla, but I plan to reduce that gradually over time.
You cannot buy time, stress = #1 killer. There will be other opportunities to make $$, you did the right thing.