Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "market" is supposed to be forward-looking.....so does that mean just the next three months?

If the news that Q3 might be a bit less robust, does that mean the SP should drop 9%?

By that logic if Tesla said we are shutting down and everything is for sale the SP should rocket as the next quarter would look awesome.
The price drop AS ALWAYS is because of Wall St. worries about demand.

When Tesla stated reduced production for line upgrades:

We think “Yay cost reductions improvements, probably Highland.”
Wall St. manager thinks “Ha, I knew it. There are demand issues, that’s the main reason for reduced production and upgrades is just a cover.”

When Elon talked about FSD and refused to rule out price cuts:

Wall Street manger thinks: “That confirms price cuts because of demand issues. And the FSD deflection attempt is weak sauce.”

The question about price cuts is particularly infuriating, because they just won’t believe Tesla is ramping production as rapidly as possible and therefore price cuts are ONLY a function of demand, and that’s very hard to predict. Tesla WILL cut prices if demand falters, because there’s no alternative and they have enough margin headroom. Most companies can guarantee no price cuts because they will throttle production instead and Wall St. keeps trying to put Tesla in that box.

Last edited:
1689886012534.png

Elon said nothing about AI...no wonder stock went down...Bad Elon!! :)

The numbers were acceptable. The CC, not so much.

I'm not surprised by this reaction, yes it's an overreaction but then again this is TSLA, so par for the course.

I expect the reaction to be short lived but I also see us stuck around $280 give or take $10.

Need to see Cybertruck deliveries before we get some much needed momentum for this stock.

Cheers to the longs.
..................... or, how about $260

I must have slept through that comment. Literally. What was that approximate timestamp? I'd like to hear that whole comment, in context, with my eyes open this time 😉
It was this part here. I failed trying to get ChatGPT to find it for me (it's getting lazy). So just look for "10X" in any transcripts.

Here's the take-away of all take-aways:

"I love you, guys.

And so, we can’t control these macro shocks or the thematic depressive nature of the stock market. So, that’s why I recommend against margin loans in times that are turbulent. If times are not that turbulent, actually margin loan can be a smart move within reason. But we’re in, I would call it, turbulent times. Like I have very high confidence in the long-term value of Tesla. Like I see it -- I really see a path to a 10x -- call it a 5x increase in the value of the company, maybe a 10x. And -- but where things go along the way, the trials and tribulations and the mood of the markets, one cannot predict. And so, the old adage of buy and hold is right. For an investment advice, I’d say like identifying a company as products you love. See if they -- does it seem like they’ll continue to make good products or great products? Buy that stock and hold it. That’s it. You’ll win. "

Reports are in that a trade-in will not be required, you can just move FSD to a new vehicle purchase: How to get your free FSD transfer - trade-in not required [Update]

But it seems that the "within a reasonable time" of the end of Q3 portion got dropped. Take delivery by 9/30 to qualify:

Full terms: (Which are basically identical to how they handled the lifetime Free Unlimited Supercharging to 6 years of free Supercharging on a new vehicle promotion.)

1689880116310.png

I WAS excited, until I read point #4 under the Terms and Conditions:

The Full Self Driving capability can only be transferred once and so cannot be transferred to another vehicle or to another person even if the vehicle is privately sold.

So you can't transfer FSD again, even if you sell the car privately! Basically you're agreeing to never sell the car, or lose the entire value of FSD when you do. REALLY don't like this part. Probably won't upgrade because of it...

The Full Self Driving capability can only be transferred once and so cannot be transferred to another vehicle or to another person even if the vehicle is privately sold.

So you can't transfer FSD again, even if you sell the car privately! Basically you're agreeing to never sell the car, or lose the entire value of FSD when you do. REALLY don't like this part. Probably won't upgrade because of it...

Thanks, glossed over this part.

Deal-breaker for me.

Makes no sense, Bad PR.
We're missing something. Loopholes? Liability? What?

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12

Makes no sense, Bad PR.
We're missing something. Loopholes? Liability? What?

I think/hope that is a mistake left-over from copying the terms from the FUSC->6 years of Free Supercharging offer. (It seems like they just copy/pasted and then find/replaced without reviewing that everything still made sense.)

If not, it would make a new class of FSD that doesn't go with the vehicle when sold, which could make for some very upset people when they buy a car that shows it has FSD and it goes away once they actually buy it.

So, hopefully they correct/change that soon.

After the big announcement, Elon skipped - what, ONE earnings call? Today would be good maybe. I really don't wanna hear about Twitter or FSD.

Speaking of which, who did that really useful and fun bingo card last time?
Yup, I stand by this. I love you, Elon, but shut the *bleep* up about FSD, eh? Let the numbers speak for themselves.

I think/hope that is a mistake left-over from copying the terms from the FUSC->6 years of Free Supercharging offer. (It seems like they just copy/pasted and then find/replaced without reviewing that everything still made sense.)

If not, it would make a new class of FSD that doesn't go with the vehicle when sold, which could make for some very upset people when they buy a car that shows it has FSD and it goes away once they actually buy it.

So, hopefully they correct/change that soon.
I'm not sure what is going on with FSD pricing, and unfortunately I am not sure that Tesla is sure. But after our existing FSD Model 3 was totaled I noted that in the used Tesla inventory, from Tesla, mind you, the differential between FSD cars and non-FSD cars is like $1,000. Feel free to verify but I just looked a minute ago.

So we got a slightly used Model 3 Performance with FSD. I was gearing up for making an off the record argument that it ought to be transferred but I did not need to do it when it just comes, almost for free, on certified used Teslas.

I'm not sure what is going on with FSD pricing, and unfortunately I am not sure that Tesla is sure. But after our existing FSD Model 3 was totaled I noted that in the used Tesla inventory, from Tesla, mind you, the differential between FSD cars and non-FSD cars is like $1,000. Feel free to verify but I just looked a minute ago.

So we got a slightly used Model 3 Performance with FSD. I was gearing up for making an off the record argument that it ought to be transferred but I did not need to do it when it just comes, almost for free, on certified used Teslas.

Yep, this is the hidden "cheat code" for buying a Tesla if you want FSD. You may have to be a bit patient and accept that it will have a few miles on it (10-20k is fine in my book), but you can get FSD very cheaply this way. This is the approach we took last year with our Y.

Given the stock performance, would Wall St rather have Tesla make less money but with higher margins? Wall St : "Sure, $3B with 18% margins is ok, but $2B with 25% margin would be amazing!"

Na, it's Wall St. They are like my teenage daughter. Nothing makes them happy, they will complain about anything.

I went back and listened to the last question in Q&A yesterday about plant shutdowns for retooling- I gotta think Elon is purposely sandbagging on this. Elon shut down Zach’s response as soon as he said it “won’t be a profound reduction… (inaudible)… quite small”. I think Elon wants the analysts to bake in a significant production decline estimate just so he can handily beat it.
Oh good pick up! Thanks for posting. I didn’t hear that comment from Zach, but that definitely allays my own uncertainty about a big production reduction in Q3.

Only 10 weeks to go until P&D report. :cool:

I totally understand where you’re coming from; I’ve already paid for FSD twice myself… but all things considered, l’m perfectly happy for the opportunity to support Elon, Tesla, and the mission by just shutting up and paying the going rate yet a third time when the Cybertruck I reserved is ready to ship, even after today’s inconvenient little stock price cratering.

TSLA has been good to me.

But, yeah, the average consumer who might disagree with me deserves eventual full use of the FSD they paid for at some point.

FSD pricing makes sense if you compare a $70K new Model 3 with FSD with a $70K new BMW i4.

But that is only because the i4 is way overpriced.

Instead of $6K Enhanced $15K FSD it ought to be $3K Enhanced and $6K FSD on new models. I think the profitability would be higher as virtually everyone would add it. Right now I wonder what the FSD uptake is. I think Tesla is missing out on alot of sales. I know the angle now is subscription for trips but still.