Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@uscbucsfan I had a great experience when my kids were little. Don't recall it being stupid expensive, but the boats are far less crowded and have quality food/booze and perhaps more importantly, guests.

Me - "I got this new investment, it's TSLA."
Friend - "How much did you waste on that?"
Me - "It's a generational investment so I probably made money on it."
Friend - "You always say HODL and never sell anything."
Me - "...................."
Slightly changed your conversation with friend above.

• Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane
Fun Fact: Which cost more in constant dollars, a 1928 Duesenberg Model J or a 2023 Tesla Model S Plaid (w. Ultra-Red paint, Arachnid wheels, FSD, and Track Pack)?

View attachment 963804

A hundred years ago, the Model J was the Model S of it's era. Which would you rather drive? :D

Yup, it's a Duesy! $241,500 adjusted for inflation, vs about $153,250 for a loaded Model S
I believe that price was for a rolling chassis. You still had to pay a coachbuilder for that boattail bodywork. So the price is considerably higher yet.

Last edited:
Any legacy auto company would lose their dealer network if the truly implemented OTA updates. They are stuck with policies from eighty years ago.
I am sure the dealers would not like it but the bigger challenge seems to be the way they have architected the electrical system on the vehicles. Supplier ownership of the software, 10's of modules that do not talk to each other etc...

They are trying but I doubt they will get there unless they bring everything internal and vertically integrate.

So Tesla won 2 of the 7 Maine NEVI funding, so two new Supercharger sites coming in Maine. I suspect that means they will be V4 stalls with the mini screen and credit card reader. I wonder if they will be dual cable, or use a V4 MagicDock design?

The interesting details is that Telsa's hardware costs are 13% of some competing bids even though Tesla was bidding for 2-3 times as many charging stalls.

The big thing that I think this means is that Tesla will have to open up an API for live stall stats for the NEVI funded sites, as well as take payments from third-party apps. (So you could pay through someone like ChargePoint, Blink, Flo, etc.)

I really thought Tesla wasn't going to go for NEVI funding after not getting in from Ohio, and not applying for any in Oregon... It will be interesting to see where else they win contracts.

So Tesla won 2 of the 7 Maine NEVI funding, so two new Supercharger sites coming in Maine. I suspect that means they will be V4 stalls with the mini screen and credit card reader. I wonder if they will be dual cable, or use a V4 MagicDock design?

The interesting details is that Telsa's hardware costs are 13% of some competing bids even though Tesla was bidding for 2-3 times as many charging stalls.

The big thing that I think this means is that Tesla will have to open up an API for live stall stats for the NEVI funded sites, as well as take payments from third-party apps. (So you could pay through someone like ChargePoint, Blink, Flo, etc.)

I really thought Tesla wasn't going to go for NEVI funding after not getting in from Ohio, and not applying for any in Oregon... It will be interesting to see where else they win contracts.
Heh.

And this is a shot across the bow of the competing charging networks.

Competing networks: "Hey! Government Largess! Let's Jack Up The Price To The Moon and Make Big Profits for the C-Suite People! (We couldn't actually give two farts about actually providing real charging services.. It's All About The Greed." Think: United Launch Alliance.

Tesla, with their avowed crusade to Save The World from CO2: "You gonna do that, we're going to put out realistic bids with realistic money. And we'll have many, many more chargers than your bid, more reliable, and at less cost. Customers (i.e., the various States) will be falling all over themselves to get us into their locations. And, for fun, unless You Change Your Ways, We'll Drive You Bankrupt. Think we're kidding? Try us."

Don't forget: All those other states will see Maine's numbers, too 😁.

This is a continuation of the Tesla, "We're not kidding, we're coming with cheap, non-compliance BEVs that are usable. It's not a bluff. Don't follow up and build BEVs yourselves? We'll eat your lunch." general approach.

Remember when Musk said that, pretty much, he didn't care if Tesla went under if the end result was BEVs everywhere? This is more of that.

It's a great time to be alive.

Just when you think Farley and Ford turned a corner.... 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴
Disappointing, it now seems unlikely Ford will be the first car maker to licence FSD.

In terms of the mission, and shaking incumbents out of their lethargy, the ideal outcome would be for BYD to license FSD, support NCAS and build a factory in Mexico to make cars for the US market,

BYD could go one step further and install a 48V wiring harness share some components with Tesla.

BYD cars built on this platform would be way better than anything GM or Ford could hope to build.

I would have preferred Ford to be smart enough to make this move, but "the early bird gets the worm".

Anybody care to discuss the fact that TSLA Short Interest was reported yesterday for July 31, 2023 settlement? Down just a little... -16% vs the previous print from 2 weeks before:

Settlement Date​
Shares Short​
Avg Daily Vol​
D2Cover​
Delta Short Int.​
Short %​
Closing SP​
Short Interest​
07/31/23​
124,390,883​
1.00​
2.46%​
$269.08​
$21,044,540,685​
07/14/23​
92,996,256​
113,902,548​
1.00​
-2,635,055​
2.93%​
$285.30​
$26,531,831,837​

TSLA.Short Interest.2023-07-31.png

This was the lowest reported number of TSLA Shares Short since Dec 15, 2022:

12/15/202273,037,086

Anybody care to further speculate why TSLA showed such strength today while other Tech stocks wilted? ;)

Paging @Papafox Next Dissemination Date is 8/24/2023 for the 8/15/2023 Settlement Date:

Last edited:
Most 5 year olds well aware of Tesla and all in on Tesla cars.
Absolutely!

My friend's precocious 7-year old son here in Phuket knows all about Tesla and is even aware of Elon as leader. He was beyond excited for his initial Tesla "experience." We first ambushed mom with fart mode, then played with the music creator and sketch pad before buckling in to "make the jump to light speed." I've now catapulted past mom and dad as coolest guy on the planet.🤣 Young Master Kaibo also requested a pic as "proof of Tesla" so he can share with all his school buddies.

Note: I only have the LR Y, but it still feels scary fast to peeps who've only experienced dino-juiced ICE vehicles.

Keep in mind this happened in Thailand, which is still the hinterland for Tesla. However, the numbers are rapidly climbing in this region.

The future is indeed bright for Tesla.E18EDBA0-D43C-4BE6-AD3D-A1A498E8611F.jpeg

I am sure the dealers would not like it but the bigger challenge seems to be the way they have architected the electrical system on the vehicles. Supplier ownership of the software, 10's of modules that do not talk to each other etc...

They are trying but I doubt they will get there unless they bring everything internal and vertically integrate.
Or maybe develop a standard protocol for communications and updates but this will take years.

Heh.

And this is a shot across the bow of the competing charging networks.

Competing networks: "Hey! Government Largess! Let's Jack Up The Price To The Moon and Make Big Profits for the C-Suite People! (We couldn't actually give two farts about actually providing real charging services.. It's All About The Greed." Think: United Launch Alliance.

Tesla, with their avowed crusade to Save The World from CO2: "You gonna do that, we're going to put out realistic bids with realistic money. And we'll have many, many more chargers than your bid, more reliable, and at less cost. Customers (i.e., the various States) will be falling all over themselves to get us into their locations. And, for fun, unless You Change Your Ways, We'll Drive You Bankrupt. Think we're kidding? Try us."

Don't forget: All those other states will see Maine's numbers, too 😁.

This is a continuation of the Tesla, "We're not kidding, we're coming with cheap, non-compliance BEVs that are usable. It's not a bluff. Don't follow up and build BEVs yourselves? We'll eat your lunch." general approach.

Remember when Musk said that, pretty much, he didn't care if Tesla went under if the end result was BEVs everywhere? This is more of that.

It's a great time to be alive.
Except that the old "Public Procurement" rules will kick-in, requiring that funding is awarded "fairly" across a number of applicants, regardless of capability or execution skills, Boeing and Blue Origin getting funding for orbital payload delivery being a prime recent example

Or maybe develop a standard protocol for communications and updates but this will take years.
I had a Ford PHEV 10 yrs ago. It had a cellular modem built in and could run a diagnostic check from a touchscreen button, upload the data to Ford and then send an email with diagnostic report. Primitive but still from 2013.

EV Battery Health with Dr Jeff Dahn | Dalhousie U Electric Vehicle Society (Aug 1, 2023)

"Everyone with an EV should want to maximize battery life. Understanding why Li-ion batteries..."​

I'm only halfway through the vid, but found two things especially interesting that I cant resist commmenting on right now:
1 - NMC batteries have less microfracturing (and thus live longer) when discharged less. You're better off charging from 30-60% twice than from 10-70% once.
2 - At this timestamp in the video, Jeff Dahn explains how single crystal electrode materials will enable EV's to implement V2G. Will enable. Sounds like: cannot currently be implemented without stressing your battery too much.

I dont know anything about the manufacturability of single crystal material, but I'm sure The Limiting Factor will help out soon enough 😁

edit: 3 - If you've got a high nickel cell chemistry in your car battery, charging to a max of 75% will diminish microfractures and avoid oxygen release. Finding out what chemistry you have is up to you.

Summary: maximizing battery lifetime

Last edited:
In the Q&A at the end of the video, my most pressing question was answered, but then raised another question. When Jeff Dahn says 100% charge in the video, does he mean a cell charged to 100% in a lab setting, or the 100% state of charged shown on your display in your car? He says he means the latter. So charging to 75% would actually be 75%, not 80% because the manufacturer built in a safety margin.
Thats a nice clean answer, but don't manufacturers use different safety margins on their batteries? I've heard some brands are quite conservative, which would lead to a different optimal SoC. Or not? I suppose if the safety margin is enlarged on both sides, then the % of the optimal SoC wont change either. So there's that.. I'll just keep that 75 in my head o_O