Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project Highland (Investor impact etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance coming later.
Maybe new motor etc?
Interesting. UK (RHD) deliveries still showing for August - September timeframe - perhaps suggests there is still a final(?) RHD shipment with unmatched M3 en-route to the UK/ROI.

For October Highland deliveries from Shanghai to EU we would expect shipments from Shanghai from the end of August onwards. That would suggest highland M3 production starting very soon to fill those ships.

We could see leaks of Highland production very soon if correct 🤞🔎

There are several possibilities;-
  1. The batches of older Model 3s might be to fill existing orders.
  2. Highland might not yet dual motor and performance versions (these may require 4680s)
  3. Regulatory approval is needed before customers can order Highland.
  4. Highland parts supply might be ramping, with parts volumes lagging the peak production rate.

Out of this list, 2. seems likely to me, Highland will become SR and higher trims might be a conventional 3 for a while.

I think it’s more likely that Tesla plans on sending some of the older 3 to markets where they don’t plan on sending Highland 3’s for the next couple of quarters. Likely the rest of 2023, Highland will only be available to order for North America, China, and Europe (probably not even all of Europe)

If that rumored price for Highland is actually even remotely close to being real, they’ll likely have a ridiculous backlog for a while (I have a hard time believing the rumored price myself)

While that could be true, surely it would be a reason to ramp Highland production ASAP?

There are rumours that Highland deliveries might happen in Australia on October.

But in the first quarter of production, I can easily believe that regulatory approval for the new model might not yet exist in all markets, and logistics might dictate some deliveries of the older models to particular markets.

The other question is:- What battery pack does Highland use? Initially this may be a structural LFP or M3P pack unsuitable for LR and performance models.

The combination of low price, high margin and long range seems unlikely to me, IMO pick any 2 from this list.

IMHO its likely to be just for Osborning reasons.

normal production will supply local demand close to factories, whilst Highlands are built initially for export.

Once those Highlands are on ships heading out to EU etc, then normal production fully switches to Highland and we then have the official launch.

This avoids "normal stock" needing to be sold at same time as Highland Stock, and reduces risks of refused "normal" deliveries, whilst also allowing production to ramp gradually to assess any issues.
I think we have a winner.

Tesla could have 20,000 on ships before a reveal. Likelihood of reveal being end of Sep at CT event keeps increasing. Makes sense, waiting list for CT is 5 years but you can buy this brand new model right now.

• The new Model 3 boasts a refreshed design with narrower headlights and no fog lights.
  • Interior Upgrades: Adoption of the Model X’s instrument panel, replacing the current central-only display. Gear selection is set to move to this central display, a change observed in test models.
  • Performance: The power-packed electric car promises more speed and an impressive range of approximately 640 km in its Long Range variant.

• The new Model 3 boasts a refreshed design with narrower headlights and no fog lights.
  • Interior Upgrades: Adoption of the Model X’s instrument panel, replacing the current central-only display. Gear selection is set to move to this central display, a change observed in test models.
  • Performance: The power-packed electric car promises more speed and an impressive range of approximately 640 km in its Long Range variant.
I would like to trust this source, but it also mentions this: "Keep an eye out for the debut in June!". What do they mean?

So moving the tweeter off the sail panel on the top of the door to the door itself will speed up assembly. The tweeter and woofer could be assembled in the door and installed much easier.

Tesla removed the tweeter next to the center channel speaker in the dash. In the new dash there is a square opening where the tweeter used to sit.