Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feel like this was the first time since I have invested into Tesla that we didn't get 1 green day the entire week, not even a little green.

Haha, memory is a flighty thing. ;) The two longest multi-day losing-streaks for TSLA** are tied at 7 days:

Date
Closing SP
Consecutive Declining Days / Comment
09-05-18​
18.72​
7 / "thanks, SEC"​
12-27-22​
109.10​
7 / "thanks, hedgies"​

The next tier at 6 consecutives days is already up to a 7-way tie, with dates ranging from Oct 12, 2015 to today. Being TSLA veterans, one thing we can Shirley say: "this too shall pass". ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

**my TSLA daily database goes back to May 7, 2015

A Cybertruck would be an absolutely epic law enforcement vehicle...

Yeah, the Ontario Provincial Police already got one... /s

Tesla-Cybertruck-Police.jpg

Cheers!

My wife and I are proud owners of a Base model 3 and a 2022 Fremont Model y Long range. We have been looking into 6-7 seat upgrade for the Y. Initially once the FSD transfer was positioned I was convinced we would upgrade the Y to an X and even put in an order on one that was in inventory. I then got cold feet after it dawned on my I'd never driven the X and was positioned to spend like $95K.

I then spoke with a buddy of mine who was high on the Rivian R1S. I had watched the videos from Munro and other YouTube videos and the overall reception of Rivian is good. My only two hesitations are 1. Bankruptcy (still a worry but someone would have to put some cash to buy them) and 2. Charging network. Now that #2 has been solved we went and test drove both the R1S today and the X. My impressions were as follows

1. R1S is sharp and a traditional American SUV. Its big, fast, spacious, and has off road abilities far greater than I'll hopefully ever need.
2. Fit and finish is great and it has a very Tesla feel with the drivers seat. Frunk is massive, and 3rd row is usable even for 6 foot people on medium length drives. Ride was a bit choppier than I would like but doable. Given its off road chops this is somewhat expected IMO.
3. Tesla still has the best driving dynamics and UI by a mile, it cruises much better than the R1S. Hated the no stalk and everything on the wheel (this was a wheel not a yoke).
4. X just isn't "big" enough compared to Y. We both agreed there are many great things with X, but I can't see how anyone on a budget doesnt look at the Y as half the cost 2X the value. Granted the 6 seat is a good 3rd row option, it just wasn't worth the $$$ to me. I could buy a brand new minivan and keep the Y for what an X costs.

Overall I think Tesla will gain great mindshare and marketshare with the CT and it will fill a ton of needs in the US market. But there will be a point that the Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Tahoe, suburban, expedition crowd just isn't met. It's a lucrative market and I hope Tesla considers something in this space. I am not 100% sure I want to spend the money on a 90K SUV, but Rivian is best in class right now and I ruled out the X. I know I'm not alone and would love to give Tesla my money but the Y is just too good in comparison.

Last edited:
I was only being cute... What's your estimate?
Volume possibly in Sept, orders started... production started... 🤷‍♂️

What's my estimate for Highland M3 release?

Lots of rumors but no real confirmed sightings of production yet. It does seem like Highland M3 will launch in China first, but I'd have to think we'd see a lot more indications of it closer to release. Like how we're seeing CT's rolling out of Austin and being carted all over the place. We've not seen H-M3's like that yet.

My hunch is we're still over a month from Highland M3 coming out. CT honestly feels closer to release than H-M3 does to me.

But I don't have a crystal ball so I really have no idea of anything about this, LOL!

• Helpful
Reactions: SOULPEDL
So can you go into a Tesla store in Texas, use their 'puter, and log in the order site and order it while in the store? Or perhaps on your smart phone?

Just checking...
That’s exactly how I did it 5 years ago. They checked inventory for me, found me a car, I used my iPad to order, and they matched up the car to my order (after the down payment went through). It was delivered to my door.

My wife and I have recently done a test drive with the Model Y with the idea of using the FSD transfer to switch her Model 3 to a Model Y. We’re also going to replace my Model S with a new one in the coming months. And then I realised how painful it’s going to be switching from the yoke to the wheel+stalks and vice versa (We both drive both cars, depending on the situation).
So we’re going to wait to upgrade the Model 3 to a Y, hoping that the Model Y someday will get the yoke wheel too.
A very good idea.

I swap between my Yoke Plaid X and my wheel X75D quite often, and the fact that I use a hand control (being handicapped) makes it very tricky indeed.

My biggest complaints are the tiny horn button on the yoke, and the minuscule turn signal indicator lights on both models.

Would be really surprised if they're making that many Cybertrucks a day.

If they are, I don't see how a delivery event could be that far away. Like within the next 3-4 weeks

A few hundred Cybertrucks might be enough to start making sellable cars. On the other hand - I belive Giga Berlin made almost 2000 cars during pre-production before they started making cars for sale.

Part of those 2000 were made while waiting on red tape. But on the other side they had made Model Y elsewhere while the Cybertruck is new in so many ways that can affect production.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rarity and Big Time
No we are not just adding renewables on top of fossil fuels, because renewables will be overwhelmingly cheaper, better and more reliable. The amount of demand for fossil fuel energy will decline to approximately zero, even if for no other reason than simple economics. And I'm still on record predicting that human global energy consumption will increase by at least 10x in my lifetime.

For illustration, let's look at 21st-century history of the United States electricity market. This is a prime example because of the US geology and geographic population distribution. The US has a huge supply of cheap domestic coal. US coal consumption was stable from 2000-2010, after which it has declined by 55% as of 2023 (see chart below). US coal consumption per capita is down 63% since 2000. This rapid collapse of coal has occurred despite US total electricity consumption having grown slightly since 2000. Coal plants with capital costs already paid off are being retired early, year after year.

View attachment 966143
Source: IEA

Peabody Energy (a huge, old American coal company) filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2016. This is the earnings per share chart of a company disrupted by a new technology called fracking.

View attachment 966151
Source: Macrotrends

This flight from coal occurred mainly because US oil & gas companies (not exactly bastions of environmentalism or anti-fossil fuel sentiment) engineered breakthrough new technologies for how to extract natural gas from difficult shale wells at shockingly low cost. The second main reason is that in the 2010s wind energy achieved cost competitiveness and meaningfully large production scale.

Just as gas and wind have disrupted coal, cheap, flexible, reliable solar photovoltaics and batteries will disrupt all previously dominant energy sources (fossils, nuclear fission, hydro).

Besides cost, there's also the fact that we have aging electrical grid infrastructure. It needs tremendous capital expenditures in the coming years. Plus, how long are people going to tolerate the growing tendency of grid equipment to ignite horrendous wildfires? Solar and batteries are the only electricity generation technologies that allow for practical colocation of the generation and the load, even at small scale, with no need for high-voltage power lines or big transformers in between. Additionally, this elimination of major transmission infrastructure will probably delete even more cost.
Elon needs to work on a document to settle these debates...

I suggest "Master Plan Part 3" would be a a good working title.

But we could also call it:- "Hey didn't you read Master Plan Part 3" :)

i cant wait to pull into the Supercharger with one of these badboys ... its getting real people !!!
it is going to look so badass compared to SX3Y
View attachment 966329
Badass and large, not much space between supercharging spots for doors to open. No worries about door dings for the CT but S3XY owners might have an issue.

A few hundred Cybertrucks might be enough to start making sellable cars. On the other hand - I belive Giga Berlin made almost 2000 cars during pre-production before they started making cars for sale.

Part of those 2000 were made while waiting on red tape. But on the other side they had made Model Y elsewhere while the Cybertruck is new in so many ways that can affect production.
That had everything to do with Tesla waiting on German officials to give them the final approval for production for the factory itself. Later on, Tesla filed, and was given approval, to sell those initial 2,000 cars.

There’s really nothing to take away from Berlin Model Y initial production since it was entirely, at every step, held up by German bureaucracy

Nearly the same as what I said ($27.5K after incentives, someday before Gen 3). We'll know in 2 weeks as the rumor goes.
(FYI, my crystal ball was hand made; not sure where you picked yours up.)
You can’t include ‘plus incentives’. Incentives are not all created equally for people. Talk cheapest base price model price and that’s not going to be anywhere near $25k with the refresh.

FYI, crystal balls are for rookies. If you can’t pull it out your derrière at will, then amateur.