Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For perspective, BYD hit just shy of an annualised run rate of 1.8M BEVs in August
BEVs means Battery only (vs Hybrid or "New Energy Vehicles", lol)

"BYD sold 155,967 battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) in August, which is up 88% year-over-year and 11% compared to July. BYD also sold 60,508 new energy vehicles (NEVs) in August, which is up 331.9% year-over-year."

What is a "New Energy Vehicle" - anything not a BEV? Like runs on butter, sugar, nuclear, hydrogen, and/or hybrids?

On Jan 07, 2023 I wrote:

Regarding the IRA, I wonder if Tesla can configure a version of the dual-motor Model X to qualify under the $80K SUV price cap. I haven't kept up, do you know what is the current cheapest price for a Model X?

Imma call this a 'win' for Tesla, new Model X owners, and investors. Thanks, Elon. You're a Genius. ;)

Cheers!

P.S. Dan Ives / Wedbush recently has taken to saying that Tesla's price cuts were done (or 95% done). Well Dan should spend more time in this Forum to get the early tips... :p

These price drops, does that even work?!?

I just scheduled a Model S Plaid test drive for tomorrow.
I'm amazed you were able to. I've made 6 attempts at the different Phoenix stores in the past 18 months and have been told they either do not have one or will not allow test drives. I have told them I'm not going to buy one if I cannot test drive it.

This includes using the web site to schedule and specifically requesting Model S Plaid.

BEVs means Battery only (vs Hybrid or "New Energy Vehicles", lol)

"BYD sold 155,967 battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) in August, which is up 88% year-over-year and 11% compared to July. BYD also sold 60,508 new energy vehicles (NEVs) in August, which is up 331.9% year-over-year."

What is a "New Energy Vehicle" - anything not a BEV? Like runs on butter, sugar, nuclear, hydrogen, and/or hybrids?

I had been left with the impression that in China the NEV term's scope includes BEV, along with everything else that isn't solely ICE.

This interpretation may be the reason the numbers from the China manufacturers so often lump BEV and Hybrid into the same count.

Wow did I get lucky.

I ordered an S 4 days ago and finished the forms and trade-in appraisal by yesterday. I would have finalized yesterday had Tesla been ready. Made the new discount be cause of their delayed response by 1 day!!!

‘The car I was getting had a $5500 discount, but that’s way more than made up with the new price, so I’m ONLY saving ~$10k:).

Plus I got the resale quote before the price drop. Although it was pretty poor:
2022 Model S Red with white interior 7k miles and the trade-in offer was only $57k.

Off to Vegas to invest that $10k and see if my luck holds:)

Don’t see why CT needs to be garaged.
I think the CT is it's own garage! With a separate bedroom even... Imagine playing watching a movie or playing games in the main cabin and then retiring to the bed(room) under the stars, closing the tonneau cover if it starts to rain or gets too chilly, then waking up to a fresh cup from the plugged in coffee maker in the morning!

It's going to be wonderful!

And on another note, let's all just get along this labor day weekend, OK? While I question Tesla's logic in reducing the S&X pricing and not focusing on the refreshed 3 (in the US), I have confidence they must have had a good reason. I hate to see my favorite posters argue about it. Regardless of the SP, it's a great day for Tesla, so let's celebrate!

Well, this doofus has decided to stick his head up with some observations.
on Highland:
perhaps Tesla has reached a size where it can be cautious about new releases. Start up one plant then transfer the learning experience to the next.

China is a clean slate plant and Fremont a mess. It simply takes longer to rebuild a line In Fremont.

perhaps there is something about the new car that disqualifies it from the current rebate. Did they mention something about battery changes?

On the S and X, I stated my opinion a couple of hundred pages back. They needed a price cut and getting rid of the color surcharges. Two out of the three. They are still important, not so much for dollar volume, as for being halo cars. This probably will hold them until Tesla can actually make new models that look new.

On the S and X, I stated my opinion a couple of hundred pages back. They needed a price cut and getting rid of the color surcharges. Two out of the three. They are still important, not so much for dollar volume, as for being halo cars. This probably will hold them until Tesla can actually make new models that look new.
The s/X has no surcharge for colors - 2 for two.

I'm amazed you were able to. I've made 6 attempts at the different Phoenix stores in the past 18 months and have been told they either do not have one or will not allow test drives. I have told them I'm not going to buy one if I cannot test drive it.

This includes using the web site to schedule and specifically requesting Model S Plaid.
Weird. I needed a loaner a few months back; I got a plaid S just by saying I was remotely interested in upgrading my X for a new one. Got to keep it for a week.

That was a glorious week…so many test launches given; I’ve got a real sense of 0-85 in that thing (it’s speed limited).

The cream interior is a MUST! Carbon and cream FTW!

anytime someone calls out Tesla for its mess ups
Erm, they are leading the business. World's fastest-selling car. (you have to achieve demand, and match that with production... no mean feat) Massuve profits, fortress balance sheet. Superlatives in multiple categories no matter how you look at it. (Well, maybe Solar Roof is not perfect) The kind of descriptions we only dreamed about in 2013.

"But Tesla has mess-ups." Apologies for only looking at the big picture

Man, the market does not like these moves/announcements... normally, you would think a new version of a popular product would help along with accelerating sales of other high priced products (although via price reductions).

The only thing I heard that caused concern was the price increase on the new 3 (esp in China), but did not expect a -6% price reaction on the stock.

Reactions: JusRelax

It’s amazing to think that you can now buy a bare-bones plaid for under 90 K

Last edited:
Man, the market does not like these moves/announcements... normally, you would think a new version of a popular product would help along with accelerating sales of other high priced products (although via price reductions).

The only thing I heard that caused concern was the price increase on the new 3 (esp in China), but did not expect a -6% price reaction on the stock.
I wish the product and price cuts were announced over the weekend. Friday price action prior to a holiday weekend introduce too much noise if one where to figure out the real reaction by fund managers from the announcement.

Wow did I get lucky.

I ordered an S 4 days ago and finished the forms and trade-in appraisal by yesterday. I would have finalized yesterday had Tesla been ready. Made the new discount be cause of their delayed response by 1 day!!!

‘The car I was getting had a $5500 discount, but that’s way more than made up with the new price, so I’m ONLY saving ~$10k:).

Plus I got the resale quote before the price drop. Although it was pretty poor:
2022 Model S Red with white interior 7k miles and the trade-in offer was only $57k.

Off to Vegas to invest that $10k and see if my luck holds:)
I sold the identical 2022 Model S with 20K miles to CarMax for $61K two weeks ago with a similar trade-in offer from Tesla. Transferred FSD to a new Model Y Performance which better fit my needs. It seems for every owner who took big depreciation there are others who are pleased with the price changes or transfer options.

I wish the product and price cuts were announced over the weekend. Friday price action prior to a holiday weekend introduce too much noise if one where to figure out the real reaction by fund managers from the announcement.

Don't forget to add in End of Month rebalancing, Max Pain being $245, and all the usual machinations of a wide array of market forces the most-optioned ticker symbol may fall prey to.

Against those headwinds, the announcement of the new M3 and the price cuts are easy scapegoats for anyone looking for a simple answer, rather than investing time into uncovering a more reasonable explanation for the drop.