Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, could just be the way the image looks. Regardless it confirms that the robotaxi likely only seats 2 or 3 people. It does look like there is a dash for human driver controls, but a 2-seat compact doesn't seem like it would have a lot of takers.
We need to keep in mind that the Robotaxi and 25K car while being built on the same platform could be different vehicles.

I think the difference is more than just removing the steering wheel and pedals.

For example if the structural battery lack in the 25K car was longer, then it has a longer body accommodating 4 passengers, while the Robotaxi only seats 2. This isn't a problem for the Robotaxi, as any Tesla vehicle can be used as a Robotaxi.

IMO if seems possible that the front and rear of the vehicles can be largely the same, the main differences are in the interior and the sides.

The 25K car could be a 'stretched' version of the Robotaxi.

I also like the idea of a larger vehicle with separate compartments for rideshare. You get in your door, but have the choice of closing off your seat from the other occupants for privacy. After all, Robotaxi alone does not solve traffic, but a desirable ridesharing Robotaxi would greatly help. It’s still inconvenient in that you have to wait for other pickups/drop offs, but if you’re in your own compartment with privacy and your own nice space, it might be a worthwhile tradeoff for a cheaper fare and/or carpool lane access.
This! Easy enough to provide a discounted commuter subscription, with pickups in a small radius transiting to an urban core. Not for everywhere, but if the price makes it right...

Reactions: kbM3 and UncaNed
2:48 video
2:02 Right turn into a parking lot/ strip mall that only has one lane, CT is closer to curb than the car which entered before
2:14 double right/ u-turn in the parking lot
2:30 right in the parking lot (wide, but likely tighter than camera truck)
2:45 right from lot into outer lane to set up the left turn.
Only the final turn falls under driving laws. Others are on private property.

View attachment 972706View attachment 972707
I watched that video in slow motion three times before I posted. I stand by my observations.

Reactions: navguy12
Well, that china news and Jonas upgrade will help me sleep tonight even if they are both irrelevant in the medium to long term.

Lol, the other 'impending doom' was the Walter Isaacson book. I watched about a half hour of this 2 hr interview, and one thing I'll say is that Isaacson would get stomped out if he was on TMC Investors' Roundtable! :D

Einsteinium.png

TL;dr there were 4 papers published in Einstein's 1905 "miracle year". Facts matter Wall-e, or maybe you don't know what a paper is? or an appendix? :p

Cheers to the crazy ones!

Last edited:
Last edited:
This! Easy enough to provide a discounted commuter subscription, with pickups in a small radius transiting to an urban core. Not for everywhere, but if the price makes it right...
We called those passes when I was a public transportation user in the UK. I had a yearly bus pass (actually a bundle of monthly passes) for trips in my town, and a yearly season ticket for my specific rail commute (because annual was significantly cheaper than monthly).

I've seen traffic patterns such that there are the peaks at rush hours, then about half that during the day between the rushes, and then low levels outside the rushes. While people do commute at different times, it stands to reason that some form of commuter ridesharing would be necessary to downsize the vehicle fleet to allow cheaper commuting that retains at least the major convenience of point-to-point travel.

Reactions: wtlloyd
....I think Tesla can extract a cost to the dealership protective laws but only if they are willing to do it. Probably not. It would be nice if some of the others directly affected kept the issue active focusing on dealerships as opposed to states. YMMV
Or just wait while they put them out of business....

Lol, the other 'impending doom' was the Walter Isaacson book. I watched about a half hour of this 2 hr interview, and one thing I'll say is that Isaacson would get stomped out if he was on TMC Investors' Roundtable! :D

TL;dr there were 4 papers published in Einstein's 1905 "miracle year". Facts matter Wall-e, or maybe you don't know what a paper is? or an appendix? :p

Cheers to the crazy ones!
Don't be ridiculous- Einstein published 5 papers in his miracle year of 1905:

Seriously though, Isaacson is aware of the 4th paper, but refers to it as an addendum for whatever reason.

Don't be ridiculous- Einstein published 5 papers in his miracle year of 1905:

Seriously though, Isaacson is aware of the 4th paper, but refers to it as an addendum for whatever reason.
The fifth "paper" is not a journal paper but a doctoral dissertation. The fourth paper is a 3 page follow-up to the massive 30 page third paper and could well have been just one more chapter in the third paper. The three main papers are on three completely different topics and each considered worthy of a Nobel price.

Great summary. Presumably this also means that Tesla could start deliveries of the M2 whenever they want, possibly as early as next year if they are putting in a production line now. True mass production might have to wait until GigaMexico is up and running but if they're putting in trial lines now there's no need to wait until 2025 to start shipping - particularly if this is an LFP pack which is less cell constrained.
To qualify for US IRA that would need to be US LFP. As always the constraint is cell production. However sales of a 2/Z in Mexico and to Mercosur can happily utilise China LFP. So unless US cell supply can ramp more rapidly than US Y production + US Semi production + US Cybertruck production then the US (Austin) pilot production 2/Z line will be cell-starved for a long time. Presuming of course that the $$-GM/kWh is agin the 2/Z and favours the 3/Y/CT/Semi.

I've long said it would be a 2/Z platform rather than a point design. There are a lot of products that need to utilise that 2/Z/etc platform imho. Maybe they won't be prevalent in the USA but they will be widely welcomed outside USA. Apparently WOUSA is 81% of the world.

Regarding Robotaxi wet dreams (which I do not share) I expect to see Optimus doing manufacturing tasks (i.e. a controlled environment, with limited exposure to consenting humans) before I see FSD in a Robotaxi (i.e. an uncontrolled environment, with lots of exposure to unconsenting and uncooperative humans).

Even if/when FSD ever gets released at L4/L5 there is still plenty of other bits of any Robotaxi ecosystem and operating environment to assemble. No point having some sort of London taxi sans steering wheel if the operating licences, software, etc are still a work in progress. So we will (may one day) see a FSD in widespread L4/L5 release with Tesla on the legal liability hook, and only then would moves be made to start production of any specific bespoke vehicles. Trials with generic Y/etc could of course start earlier but they would not exactly be optimised to overcome the cleanliness/etc challenges that some customers will inevitably present. Anyway this means there ought to be a reasonable amount of 'warning' time between FSD going live and (perhaps) a subsequent RT offering. I put zero value on Robotaxi wet dreams in my own calculations.

===

By the way there is now a VW ID Buzz running around on the roads near me. Mighty fine looking. I wonder what the GM is on that ? (the photo is from online, but it is the same colour scheme and on UK green-stripe plates so may even be a journo review / demo one - I'll try and clock the registration next time I see it).

1694425776660.png

Last edited:
By the way there is now a VW ID Buzz running around on the roads near me. Mighty fine looking. I wonder what the GM is on that ? (the photo is from online, but it is the same clour scheme and on UK green-stripe plates so may even be a journo review / demo one - I'll try and clock the registration next time I see it).

View attachment 972883

I often see these here in Norway. The main drawback is that the van barely have more payload than a Model Y.