Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
India plans to draft and push out a EV policy after meeting with Tesla executives in August.

From the article:

"Minister Goyal said that Tesla aims to source components worth between $1.7 billion and $1.9 billion from India this year, having bought $1 billion of components last year."

"Tesla plans to produce a low-cost EV priced at $24,000 - about 25% cheaper than its existing entry-level model - for both the Indian market and export."

It says "According to leading analysts Benchmark Lithium, the global weighted average price of lithium ion battery cells fell 8.7% in August, taking it below the $100/kWh mark for the first time since August, 2021"

...wouldn't a 100 KWH battery pack cost over $10,000 at that rate? What am I thining wrong??
I spent a fruitless one hour two days ago trying to run down the meat of Benchmark Li’s comment, partly because at that time it was paired with a remark like “Key price barrier finally shattered”.

Why my search?

1. Which was it? Has the world for the first time finally reached the sub-$100 level,

or

2. Do BenchmarkLi’s data reach back only to Sept 2021,

or

3. Do journalists, or BL employees, not know how to express themselves,

or

4. Had there been some bizarre post-Covid market glitch that temporarily collapsed cell prices?

$<$100/kWh is a big deal, one worthy of celebration. Too bad the acknowledged leader of amassing these data cannot present them clearly.

Tesla has guided 1.8M twice now for 2023 and just based on current reg numbers Tesla will have to shut down q4 to be at 1.5M.

I think a bit over 1.8 million for 2023 is mostly a lock. Q1 produced 440,808, Q2 made 479,909, Tesla has guided for Q3 to be a bit under Q2 due to upgrades but I think it will be very close to equaling Q2, and Q4 should be the highest production of the year. So the math predicts 1.9 million as an easy target for 2023, but very likely closer to 2 million cars produced. This would likely equate to about 1.85 million delivered, which would be a bit over 40% YoY growth over 2022 for cars delivered.

2024 is looking more to me like a 20%-30% year though. Fremont and Shanghai probably won't increase production much in 2024 so most of the growth will come from Berlin and Austin, which are both nearing the end of their Phase 1 ramps (and Berlin seems to be stagnating a bit for some reason) . CT will add some volume but it's reasonable to assume the CT ramp will be a slow one (4680's alone could hold it up), so I'd expect 2024 production to be lower than usual, a regrouping year while Giga Mexico gets built and the "Model 2" line gets built in Austin. Maybe like 2.3 million units for 2024?

2025 is where the new growth should come in again, as Austin will likely start Model 2 production sometime in 2025 (possibly Shanghai too), CT should be ramped into high numbers, volume Semi production should begin. We'll also likely have another new factory underway somewhere by then.

In short, I'm expecting a production growth slowdown for the next year or two until the compact production begins, and then we'll probably see it explode out of the gate. :cool:

200 exceptional software engineer will hands down beat 10,000 mediocre software engineer.
Alot of people get confuse with quality and quantity. They think throwing more heads will solve problem faster and better, but that's far from the reality. Throwing too many body onto a problem would likely slow down and makes problem worse. That's especially true in software.

Indeed.

See also: The Mythical Man Month

<citation required>

Seriously though-you might be entirely right but first time this came up I briefly looked and couldn't find good #s on this (especially specific to taxis/rideshares)- if you have some I'd love to see em.
To get to work, 75% of people drive solo (as opposed to trains, carpool, working at home, etc). If you discount non-personal vehicles, it is closer to 88%.

For all vehicle miles traveled, the average car occupancy is 1.5.

Best info I found, with further references, at Personal Transportation Factsheet

I think a bit over 1.8 million for 2023 is mostly a lock. Q1 produced 440,808, Q2 made 479,909, Tesla has guided for Q3 to be a bit under Q2 due to upgrades but I think it will be very close to equaling Q2, and Q4 should be the highest production of the year. So the math predicts 1.9 million as an easy target for 2023, but very likely closer to 2 million cars produced. This would likely equate to about 1.85 million delivered, which would be a bit over 40% YoY growth over 2022 for cars delivered.

2024 is looking more to me like a 20%-30% year though. Fremont and Shanghai probably won't increase production much in 2024 so most of the growth will come from Berlin and Austin, which are both nearing the end of their Phase 1 ramps (and Berlin seems to be stagnating a bit for some reason) . CT will add some volume but it's reasonable to assume the CT ramp will be a slow one (4680's alone could hold it up), so I'd expect 2024 production to be lower than usual, a regrouping year while Giga Mexico gets built and the "Model 2" line gets built in Austin. Maybe like 2.3 million units for 2024?

2025 is where the new growth should come in again, as Austin will likely start Model 2 production sometime in 2025 (possibly Shanghai too), CT should be ramped into high numbers, volume Semi production should begin. We'll also likely have another new factory underway somewhere by then.

In short, I'm expecting a production growth slowdown for the next year or two until the compact production begins, and then we'll probably see it explode out of the gate. :cool:

Considering we now know Tesla committed to Austin as the site of the new vehicle production early this year, and has been under construction since shortly thereafter, it might be worth considering just how long it will take to bring this online.

From the additions already seen in place; expanding the stamping capacity, significant production line work, robots delivered, some double top secret work in casting (where they covered the windows for months), every indication is that significant progress could have been made already this year.

Could there be a possibility that this new line may be ramping just behind and in parallel with the CT ramp over the course of 2024? Particularly, after consideration of just how much the "unboxed" process may simplify assembly line construction.

Joe Tegtmeyer was puzzling over a big load of flat carts that looked to me like they might be the bases to carry the major sub-assemblies for the Unboxed process.

Austin, being the design pilot, is certainly slated to precede Shanghai by however much time is needed to finalize the processes before duplicating them at other factories.

How would next year's estimates be affected if the production of the Next-gen in Austin were to begin as early as mid to late 2024?

Last edited:
To get to work, 75% of people drive solo (as opposed to trains, carpool, working at home, etc). If you discount non-personal vehicles, it is closer to 88%.

Ok, but I'm in the camp robotaxis aren't replacing hardly ANY of those cars in the next couple of years- so designing a vehicle today with those people in mind is a bad plan.

People really like owning a personal vehicle-- to the point that even in arguably the worst city in the US to do so- NYC- very roughly half the households still choose to own a car. This is a trend that is likely to change at RTs become more common-- but generationally, not overnight or even over just a few years.

Hence why I'm asking about replacing actual taxis (and uber/lyft) which seems the easiest first market for RTs.

I know personally when I travel most of the time there's at LEAST 2 people (and sometimes luggage) involved in such rides, and a pretty decent % of the time more than 2 (plus any bags). And I don't even have kids. For those that do you're talking minimum 3 people EVERY such trip.

Is a 2-seater a reasonable fit for THAT market?

I just don't see why people are predicting a reduced production growth. Tesla have demonstrated the willingness and profit margin room to "goose" deliveries as they like. Plus, that Elon guy, from every single bit of anecdote ever related anywhere, does not pause, reflect, and then decide "Well, let's take a break here and see how it goes".
There are so many markets under-served and regions not yet opened, production pressure will flow to where there is room.

"Life uhhhh..... finds a way"

Ok, but I'm in the camp robotaxis aren't replacing hardly ANY of those cars in the next couple of years- so designing a vehicle today with those people in mind is a bad plan.

People really like owning a personal vehicle-- to the point that even in arguably the worst city in the US to do so- NYC- very roughly half the households still choose to own a car. This is a trend that is likely to change at RTs become more common-- but generationally, not overnight or even over just a few years.

Hence why I'm asking about replacing actual taxis (and uber/lyft) which seems the easiest first market for RTs.

I know personally when I travel most of the time there's at LEAST 2 people (and sometimes luggage) involved in such rides, and a pretty decent % of the time more than 2 (plus any bags). And I don't even have kids. For those that do you're talking minimum 3 people EVERY such trip.

Is a 2-seater a reasonable fit for THAT market?
M2 will be a capable taxi. RT will come when Tesla network is up and running and built on the same platform.

Most interesting data we are getting on the Semi for me is it's charge times and power.

So far, 10-80% in around an hour, charging power holds flat to 80% and it is somewhere between 550 and 650 kW

Finally the 750 kW chargers Pepsi has been talking about lines up

And the fact it holds that charging power flat, means there is likely room for much higher peaks, if we just scale this up from a Model 3 pack and it's charge curve, it would mean the Semi could peak as high as 2.7 MW, and charge times with that would be 10-80% in 27 minutes

Dang the glass house that was never being considered sounds much less cool than the glass house that Elon was apparently considering according to his biography lol

Seriously sounds cool

Evil geniuses do not build houses. They build bases.

I just don't see why people are predicting a reduced production growth. Tesla have demonstrated the willingness and profit margin room to "goose" deliveries as they like. Plus, that Elon guy, from every single bit of anecdote ever related anywhere, does not pause, reflect, and then decide "Well, let's take a break here and see how it goes".
There are so many markets under-served and regions not yet opened, production pressure will flow to where there is room.

"Life uhhhh..... finds a way"
Well we really need to see how many cars can they squeeze out of a gigafactory. But to keep his 50% production growth going, we should have 2 more gigafactories right now that should have already broken ground like 6 months ago. So as they move to gen 3, it wouldn't be surprising if there's a year worth of stagnation before rocketing again.

Most interesting data we are getting on the Semi for me is it's charge times and power.

So far, 10-80% in around an hour, charging power holds flat to 80% and it is somewhere between 550 and 650 kW

Finally the 750 kW chargers Pepsi has been talking about lines up

And the fact it holds that charging power flat, means there is likely room for much higher peaks, if we just scale this up from a Model 3 pack and it's charge curve, it would mean the Semi could peak as high as 2.7 MW, and charge times with that would be 10-80% in 27 minutes

Along this line of thought, would it be likely that Pepsi rarely charges higher than 80%? If so, this would be a good counter argument for all the "Tesla Semi is not making 500 mile runs" rhetoric that will abound.