Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's also newswire reports about this, but no details on what it's about, might be what dumped the stock 1% in pre-market

1695041735455.png

I don't get it. The Saudis are flush with cash. It makes sense to me to use that cash to build their own clean energy businesses in order to hold onto their energy dominance as their oil & gas business declines. Bringing in Tesla, while being good for tax revenue and some economic stimulus, is inviting a competitor to come and take business that could belong to them.
Because they are awful at operating businesses. They’ve been looking to diversify away from oil and gas for many years now, but they just want to be passive investors, ideally into companies that provide local jobs.

I think the current interest rates are an under appreciated headwind for the stock market. If you're wealthy and have ten million, you can get 500K a year in interest. Why put your money in a volatile market when you can get a stress free 500K?
Maybe >5% inflation would (minus the tax on the interest where applicable), in which case you would see your assets dwindle away? Without stress, possibly…

There's also newswire reports about this, but no details on what it's about, might be what dumped the stock 1% in pre-market

View attachment 974916
No, I can tell you exactly what dumped the stock:
1. New cybertruck deliveries imminently.
2. New version of Model 3-- with fewer parts.
3. New factory coming in Mexico
4. Possible new factory in Saudi and eminent collapse of lucid (might be wiser to invest in tesla factory then continue to pour money into lucid-- this is clear)
5. Main domestic auto manufacturers with multiple tesla killer product lines are being held hostage by the uaw.

Big 3 have an optics problem (among others). If they say how much trouble they are really in, this could pull demand away from ICE even faster IMO, and tank the stock.

Had they leaned into EVs, profits would be down but labor might understand the new mission. So now they have the UAW at their throats yet they can't possibly pay fair wages for very long. Unfortunately, who would believe that? After all, they are "doing so well" with EVs and many more ready to launch. /s

It's like someone lost their job but still owns a Porsche and brags of wealth. Then goes on a date to a cheap restaurant. Hard to explain...

So now, the more honest they get, the worse off they appear. They cannot please workers AND shareholders at the same time. They had their chance and blew it IMHO. (Edited to bold key point.)

Last edited:
Bringing in Tesla, while being good for tax revenue and some economic stimulus, is inviting a competitor to come and take business that could belong to them.

Same reason China brought in Tesla, and allowed them to open the 1st ever 100% foreign-owned factory in the Country: they don't have any competing technolgy (the same way a horse didn't compete with a Model T).

I am cautiously optimistic - personally and abstractly, there's a lot of new discoveries across many industries. I've been noticing the FDA is opening up all sorts of new breakthrough devices. There's many unrelated sectors experiencing "better and more discoveries and innovations than what we're used to".

Again, I admire your approach. I just don’t have enough faith in humanity. We’re selfish, stupid, and too easily corrupted.

Case in point and to bring the discussion back on topic: TSLA/Tesla

- purposeful false narratives and spreading of lies to protect self-interests
- ignorance about the company, its product, its CEO etc., and less than zero desire to find out or know the truth
- demonstrative manipulations, some of them even legal (ie., who’s responsible for allowing the system to be manipulated in such a way that a single ticker is responsible for 50% of the entire options market and, and, and)
- multitude of self-grandiose opinions spread as facts about EVs and all the ways they are ‘bad’ by so many people who haven’t a clue and don’t care to have one.

And you’re optimistic we can survive the boulder we’ve already pushed down the mountain? I say ignorance is bliss, but I hope you’re right for the planet’s sake and the sake of all the species; just not the homosapiens.

Just to follow-up from the weekend:

Great article (from a tech entrepreneur in Ukraine) on SpaceX Starship and its path to get to Mars...as well as what it means for humans and having everything kinda come together to make Humans on Mars vision happen.

• Love
Reactions: gillfoto
Meh, I don't believe shortzes even read the news. All they care about is closing-the-gap:

View attachment 974934

Newz is for their minions. All they care about is the money.
I'll wait a bit longer before I disagree... Looks like a struggle to me, but jury's not out obviously.
(Edit: This may not age well, lol)

Last edited:
"America passed the EV ‘tipping point’ — but many buyers still want gas" article from WaPo.

(rant on)
If you have WaPo access, please do the Tesla/EV world a solid and go add some sane comments. Good Lord, the article quotes from a self-proclaimed environmental advocate that would buy EVs but "had no nearby charging infrastructure". I counted 12 chargers within 10 miles of their stated location, including one SC.
The article mentions all the major EV manufacturers in the US. You know, Volkswagen, BMW, Ford, and of course the leader, GM. Somehow the list seemed shorter than I expected. A little short for a Storm Trooper?

FFS, it's called Tesla and Google Maps, people! (or supercharge.info/map)
(rant off)

View attachment 974916
Reuters article, China central bank, FX regulator meet foreign firms in capital drive

"China's central bank and forex regulator met with foreign financial institutions and companies on Monday, as Beijing strives to attract overseas investment to support its recovery.

JPMorgan (JPM.N), HSBC (HSBA.L), Deutsche Bank (DBKGn.DE) and Tesla (TSLA.O) were among those attending the meeting, according to a statement by the People's Bank of China (PBOC), in a sign of renewed efforts by Chinese policymakers to revive foreign trade and investment.

The world's second-largest economy has lost steam since the second quarter and showed only tentative signs of stabilisation last month with policy support.

China will improve its policies, and create a market-oriented and international-level business climate, PBOC Governor Pan Gongsheng was quoted as saying in the statement."

I saw somewhere dojo was built on 7nm TSMC stuff. If that’s true I feel like DOJO v2 has already been designed on 5nm and dojo 3 is in the works. Am I wrong on this. I don’t know much about chip stuff but if I’m right and dojo is as impressive as it is with such old chip tech it would but crazy good with the stuff Apple currently has exclusivity on no?

The key part of that article is that TSMC is having trouble with low utilization of their 7nm-node product. My immediate thought is that Tesla has a good use for that unused capacity with Dojo D1 and has a ready bankroll. So don't be surprised at free cash flow being low for a few quarters...

Yup- with bigger players moving to smaller process (and it'd be a much harder fight to get in on that capacity--- 10k wafers Tesla is talking about is VERY few relative to TSMCs order sizes.... Apple for example is ordering something on the order of 700,000 to north of 1,000,000 wafers a year on 3nm depending whose estimates you believe)- so if Tesla is finding performance at 7nm sufficient it makes sense to ramp into available capacity rather than fight with much bigger orders on a new process.