Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is what I meant. They completed the building of the cluster but it is not online yet.
It's completed and been brought into production. It's online. Dodger's transcript source had a typo:

"We recently completed a 10,000 GPU cluster of h100s. We think, probably bringing it into operation faster than anyone's ever bought that much compute per unit time into production"

Timestamped audio:

I initially and continue to invest in Tesla to support the mission of transitioning away from fossil fuels. That’s why I am disappointed.

They could of made a regular pick up, then developed the cybertruck. It has been four years since announced…and how many years work before that? Preemptively I do not buy the lack of battery argument …as in they would not of had enough batteries.

If they went this route, it would have accelerated the transition, and been much less risky with respect to the fact we know annual demand of conventional pick ups is huge.

Instead they make the same mistakes that delayed the model x, making thing complicated. Fool me once shame on…
Regarding the decision to make the Cybertruck instead of a conventional truck, we need to reserve judgement until we see the specs of the Cybertruck.

Ford's conventional electric pickup is not winning over conventional pickup buyers. It's not helping the mission.

To replace gas-powered pickup trucks, you need an EV that is actually better than a conventional truck. Ford's version has a huge frunk and an on-board power source that lets you plug in your tools and potentially powers your house. Those are great features but it hasn't made up for the lack of range, lack of towing range, and general "bugginess" of the vehicle. And it's a terrible road trip car, which is a problem that still won't be completely solved by NACS.

Think about how Tesla won over sedan buyers. They offered an EV that was superior to a gas car in every way. This is what has to be done for an EV to win the truck market.

If Tesla went the F-150 Lightning route three years ago they would have been first to market with a disappointing vehicle. And they would have been battery constrained because the only way to give it decent range is to add a huge, expensive battery pack. This is especially true for towing. So Tesla would have been stuck.

Don't give SMR "3-D Chess" material.

Seriously, I've been thinking about what kind of master plan might have been behind this conference call. If there was a master plan, this seems like a good candidate. Axium's Razor at play.
I don't think there was any master plan behind the call.

Elon has a lot going on in his personal life. Zack was not there to help keep Elon focused. They will do better next time.

My take is that Tesla is approaching the top of the demand curves for the Y and 3 (sans advertising- which Elon basically doesn’t believe in). Unfortunately Cybertruck production doesn’t look to be really scalable- 3m orders but only 250k annual production - and the next gen car is years away.

So Elon needs to reset investor expectations.

His excuse is interest rates and macro. US auto sales have been fine and have been nowhere near the very temporary dips due to either the pandemic or 2008 banking crisis

US auto sales _had_ been fine, trending back up towards 2019 levels, but July and August dropped.

I don't think there was any master plan behind the call.

Elon has a lot going on in his personal life. Zack was not there to help keep Elon focused. They will do better next time.
I agree, Probably not. Elon has clearly been trying to manipulate the Fed, maybe persuade is a better word, for the past year, but the tone and results of that call probably weren't part of that effort. Or any other.

Remember that Norway is banning NEW ICEV sales from 2025. I suspect some sellers want to get out now, while others might anticipate a rush in 2024.
Some politicians wanting to ban <> Banning

Afaik, nothing is decided yet, so this is good news and may actually help the ban coming through.

Nevertheless, hadn’t it been for Tesla…

A random poster on Reddit (yeah, yeah, I know) indicated he worked for an automation supplier to Tesla and they weren't going to be installing their specific Cybertruck automation pieces until Q3...of 2024!!! No idea if thst is true or how critical those pieces are, but well...take it for what it's worth (maybe not much).
We know with 4680’s they try and make each new line a new version or generation. So it seems very possible that supplier is for the 2nd production line they will be adding to get to 250k annually.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
Elon tends to oscillate between overly optimistic, and overly pessimistic.

Interest rates are a big deal for him in part because he doesn't like the current US government, and in part because what he says about mostly payments impacting on demand is true.

Many other legacy car markers have unsold EV inventory pilling up at dealers, and have delayed some of the EV production plans.

Outside of the US, BYD is a threat because they are growing production volumes and managing to price cars very competitively.

Overall, this period is going to put legacy auto further behind Tesla and BYD n terms of EV market share.

I am only disappointed that Giga Mexico has been delayed, but I suspect that the delay has been over emphasised by Elon, in the hope that the government can be pressured to reduce interest rates.

When times are tougher economically, people tend to become more conservative and short term focused. That means EVs need to be attractively priced. Hopefully, the bulk of the price reductions are over, and there are still some cost reductions in the pipeline.

The update on 4680 production sounded good, I would like to see a written transcript of that section and I will listen to it again.
It is encouraging that other EV’s having trouble indicates demand concerns don’t apply specifically to Tesla.

But if interest rates are the primary demand killer, they should apply just as much to luxury ICE vehicles. Are we seeing this?

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed
It is encouraging that other EV’s having trouble indicates demand concerns don’t apply specifically to Tesla.

But if interest rates are the primary demand killer, they should apply just as much to luxury ICE vehicles. Are we seeing this?
Interest rate overall didn't kill demand, but dampens demand generation. Tesla's demand nearly doubled from 2 years ago just to match the double in production. However with such interest rate, it's hard to generate additional 50% more demand than the current demand of 1.8M/year is what Musk is saying.

See, this sort of post is why I made an account. Many likes for this tweet which is obvious trash.

This is becoming obnoxious.

You see, if this source were correct (after posting > 5,000 per week estimates for all of Q3), then Tesla would have produced ~ 75k to 80k cars in Berlin.

@Troy estimates Berlin produced 45,000.

45k, not 75k

3500 per week, not 6000 / week. Not 5000 / week. Not even 4000 / week.

The cognitive dissonance is amazing.

I’ve been around for a few rodeos. The first home loan I had was at 6.5%. I never had one under 6%. That never stopped me from buying a house, but it did influence what I bought. Car loans were more than that and terms were 3years with rule of 78s interest calcs. Didn’t stop me from buying cars. It did mean I bought manuals, no power anything cars. Interest rates are within the “normal “ range now. Zero interest rates helped put us in the mess we’re in, and I hope we never see them again. I agree with Mr. Musk’s feelings about where we( and Tesla) are at the moment. Also, all the easy conversions have been made in Tesla’s current markets. The hard slog against entrenched brands begins. My guesstimate is that Tesla needs to get another $5000 out of 3andY prices to make the argument compelling and the monthly payment figure reasonable. All indications are that Tesla is hard at work at getting that$5000 out of the cost of both models. I’m encouraged somewhat by the negativity Of the call. He gets it.

Regarding the decision to make the Cybertruck instead of a conventional truck, we need to reserve judgement until we see the specs of the Cybertruck.

Ford's conventional electric pickup is not winning over conventional pickup buyers. It's not helping the mission.

To replace gas-powered pickup trucks, you need an EV that is actually better than a conventional truck. Ford's version has a huge frunk and an on-board power source that lets you plug in your tools and potentially powers your house. Those are great features but it hasn't made up for the lack of range, lack of towing range, and general "bugginess" of the vehicle. And it's a terrible road trip car, which is a problem that still won't be completely solved by NACS.

Think about how Tesla won over sedan buyers. They offered an EV that was superior to a gas car in every way. This is what has to be done for an EV to win the truck market.

If Tesla went the F-150 Lightning route three years ago they would have been first to market with a disappointing vehicle. And they would have been battery constrained because the only way to give it decent range is to add a huge, expensive battery pack. This is especially true for towing. So Tesla would have been stuck.
CT has a lower Cd - good for range including towing
Won't be buggy because s/w will be almost identical to other Teslas
Supercharger network

I don't think we need to reserve judgement. 250k won't be nearly enough but that is okay.

See, this sort of post is why I made an account. Many likes for this tweet which is obvious trash.

This is becoming obnoxious.

You see, if this source were correct (after posting > 5,000 per week estimates for all of Q3), then Tesla would have produced ~ 75k to 80k cars in Berlin.

@Troy estimates Berlin produced 45,000.

45k, not 75k

3500 per week, not 6000 / week. Not 5000 / week. Not even 4000 / week.

The cognitive dissonance is amazing.

Shucks, that is a very good point. 😔

Reactions: Zaddy Daddy