Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone who does not understand 'exceptional'and 'superb' when discussing TSLA I suggest looking at the 10Q for 3rd quarter.
In the category labeled "Automotive Lease Revenue" page 11 look at credit losses then divide by "gross Lease Receivables. The results are astounding when compared with others.
Then go to page 14 to make similar assessment of "Warranty Reserves" and "Warranty Expense"
Apart from the virtually unprecedented Free Cash Flows being generated at @The Accountant and others often discuss,
the amazingly good credit quality and equally amazingly low warranty expense with very conservative reserves is yet another obvious but little noticed indication of how exceptional TSLA really is.

When facing FUD from all sides, friendly fire too, we also have constant carping of what Tesla should do better. Much of that is valuable, for continuous improvement is crucially important, in cost reduction, reliability improvements and feature development.

Still, this 10Q tells a vastly different story than the PR, including that of Elon, is presenting. This 10Q describes excellence in nearly all efficiency metrics, despite gigantic investments continuing with challenges in every area.

If the foregoing is not good enough take a glance at services and energy sales.

After examining that and the rest of the financials then, and only then, tell us why Tesla does not understand marketing, why they desperately need better education of the masses and why they are faltering in several areas at once. I would really like to understand what is wrong. Frankly, I'm almost giddy with admiration for the sequence of nearly impossible successes.

Without doubt I could be wrong. Please tell me how I am, if anybody can find evidence in the 10Q or elsewhere.

In the meantime I'm still HODL, and thrilled that TSLA is preserving such a stellar balance sheet, and not wasting reserves on share buybacks, dividends or inefficient promotional devices. Those practices have allowing Tesla to survive and thrive while others around have had bankruptcy, mergers and/or bailouts. Every quarter, poring over the 10Q new brilliance emerges!
Nerdish life is thrilled!
Oh the irony - TSLAQ constantly shouts fraud and accounting chicanery when discussing Tesla's financial statements but in reviewing the notes to the financial statements and the numbers and ratios, the company's financial position is solid and the accounting conservative (imo).

I do wonder when Tesla might slow down. But I think you are essentially right.
It has to happen eventually. At the theoretical maximum, even if Tesla became the sole automotive producer in the world, they won't exceed the entire TAM for the automotive market.

I'd say Shanghai and Freemont are fairly mature.
Fremont is mature, but also inherently less profitable because it's a retrofitted facility full of compromises, and because it's located in one of the most expensive cities on the planet. So it's probably not much more profitable than Austin or Berlin are right now.

Shanghai is mature, but in Q3 it effectively was not, because the M3 line was restarted with many changes for the Highland refresh. There are new learning curves to climb. As an analogy, here at Boeing we have been making 737s in the same factory since 1966, but right now that plant currently isn't achieving nearly the same unit economics as it used to because we're still ramping up the 737 MAX and figuring out how to produce it as efficiently as the previous generation of 737.

At first glance, it seems that Service and Parts won't be such a big business for Tesla as they don't require a lot of service. But battery replacement might become a big business as cell prices continue to plummet. Margins will be high for battery replacements. So I'm with you here.
If we are actually anticipating Tesla vehicles surviving for hundreds of thousands of miles, then there will be substantial demand for post-warranty replacement work and parts. Many parts of the vehicle will either wear out, break or become obsolete long before the economics favor scrapping instead of repairing/refurbishing.

This would at least include stuff like computer and touchscreen upgrades, interior refreshes, and suspension replacements.

I'm not sure I agree with this one. It's true that Tesla is the only one who is pricing based on market conditions. But I expect this will continue without regard for other brands. And I really don't think that many buyers sincerely compare Tesla with another brand then go on to buy that other brand because they think it's superior. So I just don't think the competition affects Tesla's pricing much if at all.
This one is speculative without more market data, but fundamental microeconomics says that, unless Tesla demand is determined in isolation with no substitutes, then pricing decisions by competing firms do affect Tesla's demand curve. I am highly confident that the competition selling EVs for big losses has a nonzero effect on Tesla's market-clearing ASP, but the exact magnitude is difficult to estimate.

I've seen multiple people in own family independently choose to cross-shop for EVs, and the price of the competing vehicles was a major factor in their decision calculus. That observation suggests that it's not a rare behavior. Some people who could only marginally afford a new Tesla are instead choosing cheaper EVs like Bolts and Konas primarily because they are cheaper.

On the other end of the spectrum, some people who place higher value on creature comforts, premium materials, ultrasonic proximity sensors, and other traditional luxury features are buying the likes of Taycans and E-Trons instead of Teslas. Tesla could add this stuff too, but it would add a lot of cost. The competitors are choosing to add this extra cost to make their vehicles more desirable for this customer demographic, but they are not passing those extra costs onto consumers. Thus, they are artificially distorting the market by subsidizing their cars with ICE profits.

One of the first people picking up their highland 3 reporting on the German forum:

One of the first people picking up their highland 3 reporting on the German forum:

The owner of the Model 3 Highland says he noticed a red shimmer on the cameras and concludes it must be HW4. The latest news I read was that "HW3.5" would be installed on the Highland, whatever that means. How to find out which HW version actually is installed in Highland? If it's HW3.5, would it be retrofittable to HW4?

The owner of the Model 3 Highland says he noticed a red shimmer on the cameras and concludes it must be HW4. The latest news I read was that "HW3.5" would be installed on the Highland, whatever that means. How to find out which HW version actually is installed in Highland? If it's HW3.5, would it be retrofittable to HW4?
Technically, there is no such things 3.5. It is a term used to describe having SOME components of what folks thought would be in HW 4. That originally consisted (speculated) of:

- Better cameras
- More cameras
- New computer
- Radar

What we have seen in the wild is a subset of this. The Model S and X got better cameras, the new computer and radar. The latest Model Ys appear to have the new computer and better cameras as I suspect the Highland 3 does. Nothing has received additional cameras...however, the Cybertruck looks like it will have additional cameras and will get the "full HW 4.0 package", which, is exactly what Elon said in a past call (i.e. Cybertruck will be the first to get HW4 suite).

Ultimately, radar still seems to be an "experiment" and it is TBD as to whether additional cameras can be retrofitted. At the moment, the only additional camera that seems to be on the table is the bumper camera...a likely easier retrofit if Tesla decides to offer it.

Oh the irony - TSLAQ constantly shouts fraud and accounting chicanery when discussing Tesla's financial statements but in reviewing the notes to the financial statements and the numbers and ratios, the company's financial position is solid and the accounting conservative (imo).
It may be ironic, but to casual observers some of those superb results seem too good to be true. Of course, responsible investors are never casual. That is why so many of obsessively evaluate risk factors, process improvements, internal controls, accounting policies, etc.

Integrity demands thorough understanding. does it not?

This is not good, I see Cruise and Waymo as policy pathfinders for all robotaxi networks including Tesla. This is setting a bad precedence.
This is great news. Cruise was turning public opinion against autonomy. Telling Cruise to remove only half their vehicles from the road was insane. That's like the FDA discovering a drug is dangerous and telling the company to sell it to half as many customers to reduce harm.

It's a bad precedence but an inevitable one I think, because true robotaxis are seemingly nowhere near becoming reality even geofenced into a hotbed of autonomy much less generalized across an entire country, across all seasons, across all edge cases, etc, and then expanded globally across different countries with different conventions, different quality of infrastructure, and everything else.
Which is why I wish Tesla would push for L3 on controlled access highways first, then city/streets then move to L4/L5. The average owner doesn’t care much for robotaxi they want to read/text and view videos.

Will be interesting to see how far down this path V12 gets us and if Tesla will ever phase in FSD as outlined above or will they hold out for robotaxi functionality? Elon appears to be pretty stubborn over full robotaxi.

Which is why I wish Tesla would push for L3 on controlled access highways first, then city/streets then move to L4/L5. The average owner doesn’t care much for robotaxi they want to read/text and view videos.

Will be interesting to see how far down this path V12 gets us and if Tesla will ever phase in FSD as outlined above or will they hold out for robotaxi functionality? Elon appears to be pretty stubborn over full robotaxi.
First they need to fix it. It works 95+% on controlled access, but not well enough for L3. too many dives into the turn lane and too many wrong "changing lanes to follow route".

First they need to fix it. It works 95+% on controlled access, but not well enough for L3. too many dives into the turn lane and too many wrong "changing lanes to follow route".
The problem with highway driving is the reaction time required and much greater consequences when things go wrong at highway speeds versus what you see on city streets. I’d pay good money for a Level 3 system that would allow you to stop paying attention at highway speeds, but I think that might even be further away than Level 4+ on city streets at lower speeds.

Tesla has probably already made more money selling FSD to car buyers than all the Robotaxi company operations combined to date, but question is where it goes from there with Elon believing autonomy is absolutely critical in tandem with electrification

Your example is why robotaxi is a long way from off since FSD is still L2. Lets get L3 working first knowing regulatory approval for robotaxi is a long way off. FSD take rate will increase significantly with real L3 and that means a lot more revenue and a lot of happy owners.

I assume you are not running V12, so path planning might not yet be fully controlled by the NN?

It is likely we will still have problems when cars are running V12, but also more likely that more training with extra data can fix the issue.

Reactions: Robertj and jerry33
As a driver who is wrapping up another ~3,000 road trip, thinking about all the miles FSD has just driven quite well for me, I sincerely hope that Tesla does release camera-free, steering wheel nag-free driving for at least some operational design domains soon.

As an investor in TSLA and a person with a modicum of self-preservation instinct remaining, thinking about all the times when in the midst of a seemingly flawless drive, FSD suddenly did something which posed risk to my car and I, and intervention was required, I sincerely hope that Tesla does *not* release camera-free, steering wheel nag-free driving for *any* operational design domains anytime soon.

The struggle is real.

P.S. After further consideration, the limited-to-the-point-of-near-uselessness use case that Mercedes limits themselves to (certain freeways, low speed in traffic, no lane changes, etc) is possibly the one use case Tesla could start taking responsibility for w/o attention. But that is such a laughably restricted little use case that Tesla probably shouldn’t bother offering as “attention free” even if they could…

Last edited:
Camera location is far more important then camera specs once you are at HW4. Saw no sign there were any changes on the Highland model. I cannot enable FSD until I leave my neighborhood due to two obstructed view intersections. Pathetic.

Back up the truck y'all!!!

1698193943126.png