Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reuters is likely just using Pacer, which is federal courts.
Ummmm.....They've been doing that on a daily basis. How would you explain all those articles when they do 0 research and claim 'reliable sources' or when their 'facts' are proven wrong, you do not see an apology or an 'updated' follow up?
Sure. they’re just typing it. they could have turned that around in five minutes. believe what you need to. The actual FUD from MSM is not conspiracy stuff, it’s just the same amount of ignorance and incompetence to be found in any profession.
The internet hype-stars are a different problem, as are the sometimes bizarre pronouncements of the various “market experts” and the more bloviating of the fund managers. Then, there are the shorts. Who should be the subject of some of these courtroom stories. All these groups aren’t working together, they’re all up to different things for different reasons.

Depends on the portfolio composition, but given this thread is mostly HODLers, I'd be at least selling OTM calls against my shares every week, and a similar strategy with cash-covered puts

Yeah, there's always some risk, but of you go far enough away from the money it's pretty low
A few years ago, I would not have replied...But it still wouldn't have worked too well for options bought near ATH (early Nov '21). HODLers who bought at ATH have waited over 2 years now and are still upside down. By a lot. Even with a "guaranteed" stock like TSLA, the timing of options can still require skill and patience. Just some perspective.

In short, Toyota isn't going to the moon with their solid state batteries. At the moment they are aiming for 10000 solid state battery vehicles for 2030 - not sure what's the Plan next mont...

What a great example of WHY Elon & Tesla have pushed so hard to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. This is Toyota's plan WITH Tesla...imagine it without!

Last edited:
That was just one example. It could be $250k in home equity, $100k in savings and $650k in a 401k. None of those figures is implausible for someone who has been a professional for 20 years. That is what an entry level millionaire looks like and it is something a lot of people in the US can accomplish with a little planning, discipline and luck.
Frankly speaking, a $1 million net worth in the US is not what it used to be. It does not buy a life in the lap of luxury in any major city.

Any major city in the US or worldwide? $1M can buy you a very nice condo in a very nice building in a major city (e.g. Louisville, KY would take $130k for a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo)...with the rest being liquid in dividend mutual funds and generating enough to cover most expenses...e.g.

1. mortgage for $100k for that $130k home and paying the mortgage payment via the dividend mutual funds or even 5% treasury yield with $950k generating $47500 annually
2. fully paid off $130k home and dividend mutual funds or even 5% treasury yield with $850k generating $42500 annually

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
Any major city in the US or worldwide? $1M can buy you a very nice condo in a very nice building in a major city (e.g. Louisville, KY would take $130k for a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo)...with the rest being liquid in dividend mutual funds and generating enough to cover most expenses...e.g.

1. mortgage for $100k for that $130k home and paying the mortgage payment via the dividend mutual funds or even 5% treasury yield with $950k generating $47500 annually
2. fully paid off $130k home and dividend mutual funds or even 5% treasury yield with $850k generating $42500 annually

Going back 20 years the average 10Y treasury yield has been 5% or higher for... zero of those years.

Also regarding condos- the majority of of US households live in detached single family homes FWIW (and have for a very very long time).... (which is a good thing for Tesla, as home charging is available to a lot more folks than if we all lived in Condos)

Going back 20 years the average 10Y treasury yield has been 5% or higher for... zero of those years.

Also regarding condos- the majority of of US households live in detached single family homes FWIW (and have for a very very long time).... (which is a good thing for Tesla, as home charging is available to a lot more folks than if we all lived in Condos)

I mean, I get that about treasury yields and the potential for those to lower in the next few years (or not for those that want to passively generate an income and stay out of the markets!).

If you look further, a detached home goes for $250k in Louisville, KY. Also, a mix of 60/40 split of dividend mutual funds portfolio still generates 7-10% annually in growth outside of the 3% dividend yield (this year, I've generated like 12% all together between yield + growth and still a very exciting month to go).

If you read the article, then click on their linked calculator, you can use it to exclude the house in the net worth calculation. Doing so results in 12.5% of the population are millionaires, not including their home value in their net worth.

Fun exercise to see where I stack up (well, where I'd stack up if I were an American ;)🇨🇦). Thanks $TSLA!
A recent article on Yahoo Finance claims 5% of American households have a net worth greater than $1M. I'm seeing sources ranging from 1-2% up to 18%. Sounds legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drumheller
Toyota has been promising MAGIC SUPER BATTERIES since at least 2009 and delivering...nothing.

Every 2-3 years they trot out the story again, with the target date pushed back a couple years, and still nothing.

Not sure why people keep believing them.

Some examples-
That's from 2014, "Toyota is also pursuing the development of all-solid-state batteries, and has already developed prototype cells"- the story claims commercialization by 2020. Nothing ever came of it.
That's from 2017.
That's from 2019- they were still hoping for 2020.... nothing ever came of it.
That's FROM 2020.
That's from...a month ago... citing 2027-2028.
Now you're saying they're pushing the date to 2030?

Truly unbelievable, you just MUST be mistaken. I have read many many news/blog/editorial writings that say Tesla is the automaker of broken promises. Toyota is of the highest integrity and manufacturing history and would never fail so miserably to meet their predicted timelines. Surely every one of these stories and projections you've noted must really be attributed to Tesla... /s

I still hold "timing" anything, especially options, is primarily - or more likely exclusively - luck.
Well, do ya?

1700674302237.png

I'm a lucky guy, not with options, just life. Didn't lose money on them, but I felt like I had to watch them like a hawk with wild swings. Long ago, I had DITM Leaps to play it safe much like @Papafox, but that became a constant drain at times... like now. So I still enjoy a good dip to play some chips cuz I know this stock is safe, I have all the facts right here, and it goes up and down all the time. Sure, it might pop (for reals), and is why I don't play much %. It's only to enjoy a little dip every now and then, and really does help on the moral. TSLA is my IRA and part of my income, so YMMV. (Edit: As I recall, we were discussing 10% leveraged among members.)

Hearing they had a Cybertruck on display at our local Charlotte Showroom, I felt the need to perform due diligence as a Tesla owner and investor, and checked it out ;).

This is off the beaten path so zero street traffic, but there were about 2-3 dozen people there with a steady stream in and out all morning. Everyone seemed excited!

Overall impression -this is one tight vehicle. Maybe we shouldn't judge by panel gaps but this thing reflects the micron precision Elon was talking about. Dense and muscular. Packed tight. Will be very interesting what the rollout does to Tesla awareness in general. I think it will be big. Bullish!

Oh, and Optimus was there too.

Some 4K photos I took...

IMG_0069.jpegIMG_0067.jpegIMG_0066.jpegIMG_0064.jpegIMG_0062.jpegIMG_0081.jpeg

I mean, I get that about treasury yields and the potential for those to lower in the next few years (or not for those that want to passively generate an income and stay out of the markets!).

If you look further, a detached home goes for $250k in Louisville, KY. Also, a mix of 60/40 split of dividend mutual funds portfolio still generates 7-10% annually in growth outside of the 3% dividend yield (this year, I've generated like 12% all together between yield + growth and still a very exciting month to go).
Not everyone lives or wants to live in Louisville, and if they did I assure you detached homes would cost a whole lot more.

Meaning: this whole line of conversation is at best an exercise in hypothetical Upside Down Pineapple Cake.

Not everyone lives or wants to live in Louisville, and if they did I assure you detached homes would cost a whole lot more.

Meaning: this whole line of conversation is at best an exercise is hypothetical Upside Down Pineapple Cake.

Not entirely, this is an investment world thread too.

Also, I'm giving Louisville as an example in the US outside of the standard tech hubs and is a great place to live (e.g. if you like bourbon). Worldwide? What about Bangalore or Mumbai, if you want a solid growth tech city outside of the US? A luxury 2-3 bedroom condo there is $200k.

- tri motor are not using plaid motors at all

- lots of one off parts specifically for CT

- they are only working on one pack at the moment for tri motor
- Dual motor pack isn't ready yet.

- first edition pricing should be in the 90s
I question that considering some (or most) of the RC units have been dual motors. That person also said in the thread that it's the same size as it was in 2019, despite it being known and confirmed that it's smaller.