Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only concern about the price drop was that they may have blown their wad all at once with that huge drop at the beginning of the year. We've seen a bit more since then, but if 2024 does end up with a material recession, not a lot of ammo left...

I think they have enough in the piggy bank to get them through an economic downturn unscathed.

Heck, they could go to zero profit margin on Autos, give all the employees raises and bonus money to buy discounted chairs, throw a few parties, start construction on a couple of new factories, and still be laughing all the way to the bank.

Granted, Wall Street wouldn't understand and the SP might take a hit, but no, I think that Tesla has pah-leeeeenty of ammo left.

This article doesn't paint a pretty picture of how this looks (image) for Tesla in Sweden...

Instead, around 90 percent of Swedish workers are covered by collective agreements, a type of contract that regulates the relationship between employers and their employees, including pay, pensions, and working hours.

Gestapo....“We note that Tesla has chosen to take the long route, starting legal proceedings,” says Veli-Pekka Säikkälä, national bargaining secretary at IF Metall. “There is a simple and quick way to solve this situation, and that is to sign a collective agreement. As soon as Tesla does that, the conflict ends.”

I strongly feel that Tesla will erase Sweden from their global map.

This kind of sugar does not sit well with Elon.

I must admit, 2023 has not gone the way I expected it to for Tesla. Even my conservative estimates at the start of the year were not this low, I just never saw them lowering the boom on prices and margins the way they did.

Ah well, it is what it is! :cool:
But did you expect the interest-rates to be where it is now at the beginning of the year?

Having read many posts for months, going on about how someone is so disappointed over any of a variety of things, and all I can hear is that lovely Tink, Tink, Tink sound as the spring on the Jack-In-The-Box winds tighter and tighter while grinding out "All Around the Mulberry Bush" as we expectantly wait for the inevitable result when the Monkey catches that pesky Weasel.

C'mon,

... has everyone already forgotten last year? (i.e.: it could be worse)

... and the bottle rocket SP rise that started off 2023?
... and that the FED actually paused on the rate hikes?​

Maybe some of these folks just need to go get themselves a Happy Meal. (I know, I've now mixed metaphorical Mc and Jack fast food joints in this post)

HODL​

Last edited:

Shocking i know!

They fixed the glitch real quick:

1701122863292.png

• Informative
Reactions: Drumheller
Reactions: Mike Ambler
Right $2500 for a four year warranty with $500 each time you bring it in is not enticing at all. (Unless the terms have changed from what I remember).
IIRC I spent $4000 for a 4 year extended bumper-to-bumper warranty for my 2015 Model S. There was a $200 co-pay for each service visit. As it turned out, I would have spent less than half of that to pay for repairs out of pocket.

However, I think the hypothetical extended warranty under discussion is for battery and powertrain. The problem with buying an older Model S, is the chance of a battery pack failure out of warranty. It is a bit like playing Russian roulette for used car buyers. If Tesla offered an extra 4 years of powertrain warranty for $2500, that would pool the risk of random pack failures due to water intrusion, short shorts, etc. Such an offering from Tesla should make the older cars more attractive and help resale values.

GSP

I strongly feel that Tesla will erase Sweden from their global map.

This kind of sugar does not sit well with Elon.
Correct on Elon, it's like a bully punching him in the nose! Tesla will likely try a bit more diplomacy, politics, legal, and creative ways... until they can't. Listening to the union tough talk, this could turn into a stalemate.

If so, some other options... Service leans heavily on Mobile repair, or opens a Tesla only shop in a central location for any major work. I don't think Unions can stop that, right? Delivery/service might be at a higher cost, so adjust pricing accordingly. Cost of doing business there... others beware! 🤷‍♂️

Shocking i know!

Also in that story however-

Your source said:
The labor board official, however, found merit to two separate claims that Tesla maintained an unlawful rule on the acceptable use of technology in the workplace and solicited grievances from workers in an attempt to thwart support for the union, NLRB spokeswoman Kayla Blado said on Monday.

If Tesla does not settle those claims, the NLRB will issue a complaint against the company that will be heard by an administrative judge, Blado said.

So bit of a mixed bag overall

Image for Tesla or the Union? To me the Unions image is not unlike the mafia.
Strike breaking in Sweden, which is essentially what Tesla is doing, is frowned upon in Sweden. So, in that sense the Tesla image may be "bad."

But yeah, the union is essentially saying "We will stop torturing your kids (customers) as soon as you give us the combination to the safe (sign the collective agreement)". And they don't see anything wrong with that. o_O

I'm glad the courts have at least granted a temporary injunction so Tesla can continue to get license plates so they can deliver vehicles in Sweden. Hopefully the union comes to their senses.

Otherwise, Tesla may have spend more if they want to stay in Sweden. (They would have to open more service, and collision, centers that were all non-union. Especially to cover things that people don't normally come to Tesla for, for example winter tire change overs.) In the end it may be positive for Tesla as they would get more revenue in Sweden by doing everything themselves, but it may come at a cost of increased overhead especially for logistics.

View attachment 994197
I wonder how else VW could save money over the next 3 yrs. Maybe they should stop making EVs? /s
No really, this is likely a recurring argument at VW and many other legacy (although none would admit it in public... since Herbert anyway).
Outsource your new SUV to Magna! I find it funny they are laying off people but just gave a $500M million contract to Magna to develop a new SUV brand. So much for shifting back vertical integration for EV's. VW is doubling down on even more outsourcing.

Who here know who Sessa Capital is? Well I did not. Turns out they are the largest net put holder of Tesla's stock:

Ex Fund Manager Alexandra Merz dives into who is shorting TSLA.
@2daMoon

i noticed you have not commented on this video.

$1.4 Billion (net as of present date?) in unhedged Putz on Tesla by 1 fund, looking like most done in Q422
3x that done in Q422, then 2/3 reduced? in Q123
39-40% of their (Sessa?) portfolio
Chanos/Kynikos gone
Sessa next?

another "tink tink" of spring winding?
perhaps this may be 1 reason FTD's don't seem to be so large anymore, short interest TSLA down to ~2 - 4% range

i am quite sanguine HODL, but no empty cushions to search for "chairs"

knocked this out
(data is reported once every 3 months back to 12/2014)
1701129442799.png

:cool:
comments welcome as I am "but an egg"

Outsource your new SUV to Magna! I find it funny they are laying off people but just gave a $500M million contract to Magna to develop a new SUV brand. So much for shifting back vertical integration for EV's. VW is doubling down on even more outsourcing.

The advantage of outsourcing in this instance is that you can't be blamed for the results. After all, your boss had to agree to the outsourcing.

@2daMoon

i noticed you have not commented on this video.

$1.4 Billion (net as of present date?) in unhedged Putz on Tesla by 1 fund, looking like most done in Q422
3x that done in Q422, then 2/3 reduced? in Q123
39-40% of their (Sessa?) portfolio
Chanos/Kynikos gone
Sessa next?

another "tink tink" of spring winding?
perhaps this may be 1 reason FTD's don't seem to be so large anymore, short interest TSLA down to ~2 - 4% range

i am quite sanguine HODL, but no empty cushions to search for "chairs"

knocked this out
(data is reported once every 3 months back to 12/2014)
View attachment 994204
:cool:
comments welcome as I am "but an egg"

Funny you should mention it. I just finished watching that episode.

Even if there aren't a lot of shortzez these days, that sizzling sound they make when things don't go their way is always music to the ears.

What can go wrong with that. Fisker (FSR) has outsourced all their manufacturing of their only current model, Ocean, also to Magna Steyr. Fisker's stock price is trending down 92% from their ATH.