Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon described the glass as "rock proof". Gotta see how that holds up. In rural areas, rock chips are a frequent issue-if the glass truly is tougher than conventional glass, it's significant-especially given the size of the CT windshield! I'd also expect the degree of slope of the CT windshield help in that regard-a rock may deflect upwards rather than cracking it.

I've been doing some more thinking about pricing on the 4x4 version at $80k. Yeah, you can get a Silverado WT crew cab 4x4 for about $43.4. But...look at what CT has. Air suspension and front and rear locking differentials,4 wheel steering, plus all the rest of the tech. This has top of the line off-road hardware-probably the closest is the Raptor at similar pricing (but no air suspension, let alone 4 wheel steering or steer by wire!). This really is fairly priced for what you get, even at $80k. Honestly-with the performance and technology, I'd actually call it a bargain for that price-even in the ICE world, to say nothing about EV.

It's just that...not every pickup buyer that needs a 4x4 needs a top-spec model, nor can they afford to pay that price. I'm curious to see if they will come up with a "stripper" 4x4, perhaps giving up the air suspension, 4 wheel steering and locking differentials, for a significantly lower price (say around $55-60k).

A gallon of gas contains about 33.7 kWh.

So closer to 78 mpg equivalent

But, is that when laden with an African or European Porsche 911?

Asking for a friend...

ea90975f-f51e-40d4-b793-63712eb78b03_screenshot.jpg

I wasn't surprised buy the outlets at the rear of the cybertruck. But having 2 120v outlets in the cabin was a convenience I didn't expect.
I'm surprise they didn't decide to put the range extender instead of the backseat. I bet in reality most CT buyers, at least the ones without kids, will never or very seldom have anyone in the backseat.

Looks like MKBHD (Marques Brownlee) isn't going to give a glowing review.

aslo note the 3.5M views in just a few hours.

View attachment 995324
Did Tesla 'promise' 500 miles or 'estimated range up to' 500 miles? I mean it can be broken down several ways but we all knew this was going to happen regardless and the range extender to 440 miles is not good enough.

I'm surprise they didn't decide to put the range extender instead of the backseat. I bet in reality most CT buyers, at least the ones without kids, will never or very seldom have anyone in the backseat.
And people without kids are the ones wanting 500 miles range too. Try driving non-stop for 500 miles with kids ;)

I've been doing some more thinking about pricing on the 4x4 version at $80k. Yeah, you can get a Silverado WT crew cab 4x4 for about $43.4. But...look at what CT has. Air suspension and front and rear locking differentials,4 wheel steering, plus all the rest of the tech. This has top of the line off-road hardware-probably the closest is the Raptor at similar pricing (but no air suspension, let alone 4 wheel steering or steer by wire!). This really is fairly priced for what you get, even at $80k. Honestly-with the performance and technology, I'd actually call it a bargain for that price-even in the ICE world, to say nothing about EV.

It's just that...not every pickup buyer that needs a 4x4 needs a top-spec model, nor can they afford to pay that price. I'm curious to see if they will come up with a "stripper" 4x4, perhaps giving up the air suspension, 4 wheel steering and locking differentials, for a significantly lower price (say around $55-60k).
Most CT buyers - just like me - will never use it off-road. Just normal kid hauling duties in the suburbs ;)

Just like I will never haul a large plywood sheet ...

Most CT buyers - just like me - will never use it off-road. Just normal kid hauling duties in the suburbs ;)

Though you can add another 32A 240v outlet via an optional Powershare Mobile Connector. (Likely plugged into the NACS port.)
Thinking about this, they need to have a 9.6 kW inverter internal to the CT to power the 240V receptacle. But they wouldn’t have spare inverter capacity for this PowerShare Mobile Connector, so the PowerShare Mobile Connector must have a built in inverter, and, as you surmise, must be plugged into the NACS port so that it can slurp DC power. In that case, surely this mythical Powershare Mobile Connector could also be used in any Tesla to deliver 7.2 kW at 240V, which would be awesome. No bidirectional charger needed in Teslas, just what it currently has, which is direct connection between NACS and the battery.

Looks like MKBHD (Marques Brownlee) isn't going to give a glowing review.

aslo note the 3.5M views in just a few hours.

View attachment 995324

Marques (nice guy) is full of *sugar*. The price point isn't a 'spec', that's the clearing price in the market. And Tesla's estimated price was before this round of inflation (why is he being disingenuous, everybody knows that).

Then Marques conflates mid-spec range (340 miles) with the highest price version ($100K). That's just misleading and dishonest. The 340 mile range CT costs just $72,500 after the IRA credit, and costs even less in States with addtional incentives.

Lastly, Marques goes on a rant about Roadster range specs. Why? He doesn't even CONSIDER that Tesla is doing R&D right now on the v3 Cybercell at the Kato Rd. battery pilot plant. Doesn't Marques know what 'single-crystal silicon anode' means? How about 500 mile CTs and 600 mile Roadsters? (it's called 'energy density' Marques, do the math).

Humorously, even his 'first-time' claim is false: Tesla didn't deliver a $35K Model 3 until years after 1st deliveries, so this ain't the first missed 'key spec'. Yeah, it takes time.

He's become yet another grandstanding 'influencer', more interested in self-promotion than getting the story straight. I wonder if it's too late to join his patreon... :p

Last edited: