Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla executes better on the hardest problems of any large manufacturer. It took 70 years and a singular company to force 48v.
Couldn't wait for all the details of this historic move and all the positive effects it had. Only Tesla's high vertical integration made possible what other automakers could only have done by - I don't know - maybe legal requirements? Just think about the number of motors in a seat, the doors, the hvac system, all lights, every USB-Port (they are 5V), the safety elements for ABS and on and on that was attached to the 12V battery. What a move to set everything to a future proof potential.
Have you seen any of the old fashioned 12V outlets in this Truck? I hope they had the guts to remove them and came up with a modern successor.

Let's talk PowerWalls.

Do people realize the CT is like having a bunch of PowerWalls? It's has more than 2 PWs in terms of Power Delivery, and about 10 PWs in terms of Storage Capacity. The thing will run my entire home (I have 2 existing Powerwalls so the integration requires no additional hardware). My existing PWs cost an arm and a leg with the only advantage that they are available even when the vehicles are off-site.

But there has to be some serious CT value add for folks wanting to add more solar and PWs. And then to think that Tesla would honor the 150K mi battery warranty is insanely valuable. That's better than our existing PWs!

And what if I can charge from the grid at night on Off-peak? I can't do this with our existing PWs which can only be charged via Solar. This is likely a constraint placed by our Utility Co, but I'm not sure they could prevent us from loading up at night in CT. This will be a nice offset power machine on Wheels. So now I'm questioning if Solar is even needed in order to do pure offset use and cut DAILY power expenses. Oooo utilities gonna hate this, right?
Didn't it state you you need to own a Powerwall to use the CT as one? I either read that here or somewhere else.

The can't see out the back is just silly. You can't see out the back of an X (at least the ones 2020+) as the factory tinting is too dark. I haven't used the rear view mirror since the 2013 S because the rear camera is so much better and has a much wider view than the silly mirror.
The rear view with the camera is indeed better than with the rear view mirror in the Model X. When you can use it. 6+ months of the year here you frequently can't use it because it's covered in frozen slush/road grime/salt. Sure I can clean it every time I stop, but 15 minutes later it's covered again. To be fair, the Model X is far, far better than our 2018 Model 3 in that regard. That one is pretty hopeless in winter whereas the X's rear camera stays cleaner far longer. Camera placement and aerodynamics has a lot to do with this.

So where is the camera for the "rear view mirror" in the Cybertruck and how suceptible to being rendered useless by slush/dirt/salt is it? If in the rear bumper, I'm worried. If in the liftgate, that's problematic if one is driving with the liftgate down. If it's above the anterior edge of the tonneau cover, that would be great for keeping it clean, but it's view would be obscured when there are tall objects in the bed. Does it have a heater or mechanism for self-cleaning (doubtful)? At least it ships with side mirrors (for now) should the rear camera be susceptible to poor visibility in winter.

Didn't it state you you need to own a Powerwall to use the CT as one? I either read that here or somewhere else.
No, it does not say you need a Powerwall. Just that if you already have a Powerwall, and a Universal Wall Connector, that you don't need anything additional.

1701451909463.png

If you don't have a Powerwall you need to install a Tesla Gateway or Backup Switch. (Only some utilities have approved the cheaper Backup Switch option.)

The rear view with the camera is indeed better than with the rear view mirror in the Model X. When you can use it. 6+ months of the year here you frequently can't use it because it's covered in frozen slush/road grime/salt. Sure I can clean it every time I stop, but 15 minutes later it's covered again. To be fair, the Model X is far, far better than our 2018 Model 3 in that regard. That one is pretty hopeless in winter whereas the X's rear camera stays cleaner far longer. Camera placement and aerodynamics has a lot to do with this.

So where is the camera for the "rear view mirror" in the Cybertruck and how suceptible to being rendered useless by slush/dirt/salt is it? If in the rear bumper, I'm worried. If in the liftgate, that's problematic if one is driving with the liftgate down. If it's above the anterior edge of the tonneau cover, that would be great for keeping it clean, but it's view would be obscured when there are tall objects in the bed. Does it have a heater or mechanism for self-cleaning (doubtful)? At least it ships with side mirrors (for now) should the rear camera be susceptible to poor visibility in winter.
The camera is on the rear bumper. They only added 1 camera to the CT to the front.

I wonder what the range could have been if they had opted to use that storage space under the bed for cells.

Kinda like the 2 "stacked" modules on the front of the original S packs...
When I first found out about the "range extender", I figured that the sub-trunk space you are talking about is where it would be installed. Then we found out it takes up 1/3 of the bed space in the back of the bed.

There must be something about that storage location that makes adding batteries problematic. My guess is that it has something to do with adding a lot of extra weight to that part of the vehicle. Adding batteries to the back of the bed probably doesn't mess with the center of gravity much. Maybe that's the reason?

... in order to do it without having to add additional hardware, ya I saw that too. But that's all they said. Still looking as I have no idea if an inverter is needed in the CT version PW for example. Gateway of some sort maybe, but I'm only guessing. A block diag labeling AC/DC paths would be an excellent find, I can't keep it all straight in my head.

Part of the issue here is just the truck buyer mindset needs to change. The days of having a truck that can basically haul your entire life wherever you want to go with zero impact on the environment need to be over. It's a mindset that was cast with plentiful, guilt free (at the time) oil burning. We cannot afford that mindset for much longer as a planet.

Get the tent attachment and leave the rest of your life at home when going on a road trip.
Disagree. If energy is completely renewable--my house is covered in solar panels and most charging is done at home, many other Tesla owners have gone with solar at home too and our grid is becoming increasingly renewable--then it becomes possible to haul around whatever you want with essentially zero impact.

As for tenting, I'm pretty sure I've spent more of my life in a tent than 99.9% of the population - backpacking, bicycle touring and canoe expeditions. IMO there's a difference between self-sufficient travel where you live for weeks with everything you need on your back/bike/canoe and travelling around in a vehicle seeing this amazing continent we live on. For the latter, the luxury of a modest trailer to sleep in (and a happy wife) is much appreciated. Isn't it great that the Cybertruck is capable of both?

Part of the issue here is just the truck buyer mindset needs to change. The days of having a truck that can basically haul your entire life wherever you want to go with zero impact on the environment need to be over. It's a mindset that was cast with plentiful, guilt free (at the time) oil burning. We cannot afford that mindset for much longer as a planet.

Get the tent attachment and leave the rest of your life at home when going on a road trip.
One of the reasons Tesla has been successful is that Elon understood you're not going to succeed by telling people they must drive an electric car. Instead build a fantastic car that happens to be electric. It's the same with truck owners that do use trucks for hauling and towing. Telling them to change their lifestyle to a lesser / more difficult/ less convenient way of using their truck is not going to be successful. An awesome truck that happens to be electric will work. Tesla made the cybertruck awesome on every way except range. I guess the tech just isn't there, yet, but this will be a deal breaker for a significant % of potential buyers. No, I don't know the exact % but the people I talk to in Phoenix are likely all off the buy list now based solely on range.

guilting consumers into accept a reduction in functionality for moral reasons is not an acceptable answer and will be a humongous loser of a proposition in the marketplace. If EVs win, it will be because they are superior products -- no other reason.

No, it does not say you need a Powerwall. Just that if you already have a Powerwall, and a Universal Wall Connector, that you don't need anything additional.

View attachment 995489
If you don't have a Powerwall you need to install a Tesla Gateway or Backup Switch. (Only some utilities have approved the cheaper Backup Switch option.)
Exactly, thanks. So this does add to CT value, especially if someone were to need 3 PWs but could justify only 1 PW and a CT. (Keeping in mind the % time truck is at home, YMMV).

Further, the ability to charge the CT at night on off-peak, then use it to get through all peak utility needs is, in fact, better than my own Powerwalls. So in order to use mine today, I must have sunshine to charge it. Not with CT.

This means, to avoid peak utility needs, you don't even need Solar Panels. There was a time where you could not buy a PW without a Solar installation, but then they relaxed it as I recall. I could see Tesla bringing back this requirement once people catch on - if anything, just for the mission, we need more local solar.

Reactions: AZRI11
Most use their rear view mirror when driving. I do and have in all of my Teslas. It's going to be a learning curve for most is what he said.
Cybertruck-Human-Meet-Machine-Desktop.png

Tesla did include a rear view mirror in the production version. I heard that it had nothing to do with regulations but it was that without a rear view mirror, too many women would have to go to work without lipstick.

When I first found out about the "range extender", I figured that the sub-trunk space you are talking about is where it would be installed. Then we found out it takes up 1/3 of the bed space in the back of the bed.

There must be something about that storage location that makes adding batteries problematic. My guess is that it has something to do with adding a lot of extra weight to that part of the vehicle. Adding batteries to the back of the bed probably doesn't mess with the center of gravity much. Maybe that's the reason?
The closer the weight is to the centre of the vehicle, the better. The storage is way aft of the centre.

I was concerned about the CT ramp before the delivery event, now I'm even more concerned. Did you all notice deliveries start in '24? Not now, or December, but 2024? I'm afraid production still might not even start for months. As usual with my pessimism, I hope I'm wrong, but the ramp could be even uglier than what I feared in my previous bear case.