Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was concerned about the CT ramp before the delivery event, now I'm even more concerned. Did you all notice deliveries start in '24? Not now, or December, but 2024? I'm afraid production still might not even start for months. As usual with my pessimism, I hope I'm wrong, but the ramp could be even uglier than what I feared in my previous bear case.
It's stating 2024 if you're placing a new order.

Which is, on the other hand, probably grossly optimistic, but perhaps Tesla is expecting a lot of pre-orders to wait for price reductions and other trims to come out later and be able to deliver to new orders sooner than we'd expect.

I was hoping to use a Cybertruck as a camper, but the 3K$ CT Tent is not what I hoped for. Any ideas if the third party camping attachments like the Cyberlandr will be feasible now that the CT is officially released?
I gotta say, as someone who camps a lot in many weather conditions throughout the year, roof-top tents are about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Pay thousands to expose yourself to the wind on top of the vehicle, and/or make getting out of the tent in the middle of the night an adventure?--no thanks, Just invest in a good quality standalone tent or sleep in the truck bed itself. Better and cheaper.

It's stating 2024 if you're placing a new order.

Which is, on the other hand, probably grossly optimistic, but perhaps Tesla is expecting a lot of pre-orders to wait for price reductions and other trims to come out later and be able to deliver to new orders sooner than we'd expect.
Has anyone here been contacted regarding delivery?
Does anyone here know of someone, other than Tesla employees or people with celebrity status, that has been contacted?

Let's talk PowerWalls.

Do people realize the CT is like having a bunch of PowerWalls? It's has more than 2 PWs in terms of Power Delivery, and about 10 PWs in terms of Storage Capacity. The thing will run my entire home (I have 2 existing Powerwalls so the integration requires no additional hardware). My existing PWs cost an arm and a leg with the only advantage that they are available even when the vehicles are off-site.

But there has to be some serious CT value add for folks wanting to add more solar and PWs. And then to think that Tesla would honor the 150K mi battery warranty is insanely valuable. That's better than our existing PWs!

And what if I can charge from the grid at night on Off-peak? I can't do this with our existing PWs which can only be charged via Solar. This is likely a constraint placed by our Utility Co, but I'm not sure they could prevent us from loading up at night in CT. This will be a nice offset power machine on Wheels. So now I'm questioning if Solar is even needed in order to do pure offset use and cut DAILY power expenses. Oooo utilities gonna hate this, right?
Cybertruck's ouput (48A, 11.5kW) is equal to one Powerwall 3.

It’s about the towing. That will cut range by quite a bit. 500 would maybe give you 250 if pulling a 11k trailer.
& that assumes you're operating in a good temperature range. During cold parts of the year you can knock another 20-30% off that. Then look at the sparse distribution of superchargers in most of the US (away from the two coasts) and it's easy to understand why a 500 mile range would be desirable for people that need a work truck in most geographic areas. CT will be great for operating within a 100 mile radius of a home charger and urban areas with superchargers but battery technology still has a ways to go before it starts to displace many truck use cases very much akin to how the tesla semi won't displace long-haul trucking anytime soon but is nonetheless useful.

When there is a Supercharger station every 50 miles, range don't matter, period.
I think this narrative I keep hearing so often here and from many Tesla enthusiasts on Twitter, is a bit delusional and removed from reality. You can have a ton of Superchargers every 2nd mile in every gas station, it doesn't take away the need to have a decent solid (meaning 20-80%) 300 mile range in peak winter. Which is why 500 mile EPA is important.

and there are a gazillion superchargers
In metro areas and along major interstates, that's true. On secondary roads, or in remote, rural areas? Not so much. In much of the West (not West coast) you're out of luck if you're not along a major interstate. Even in the crowded East, if you prefer rural backroads, you're stretched at the current time. Granted, things are improving steadily, but the infrastructure isn't there yet for a lot of the country. The problem is, the places you're likely to want to take a trailer are most likely in those rural, somewhat remote areas.

Now imagine you live in Montana and your passion is snowmobiling. You have an enclosed trailer with 4 sleds and gear, 4 people in the truck and a 100 mile drive each way from your house. With potential for significant snow on the roads, and no SC within 100 miles of your route. You might squeak by at 200 miles-but really-in the winter, towing, with the heat on? Want to chance it?

I couldn't drive from Coeur d'Alene to Boise on Hwy 95 (the main highway through the state) even without a trailer-lack of SC infrastructure makes it impossible as of now. The vehicle technology and capability isn't unreasonable now-but the lack of infrastructure is still a show-stopper in much of the country. The main need for that range is due to lack of infrastructure.

One thing I think we all do is look at our experiences and assume that they are similar for everyone. Those living near the coast in CA likely have an issue picturing life without a SC within 20 miles. Much of the country doesn't have one within 100 miles. Our needs and concerns are justifiably different, and I think we all have a habit of generalizing. Just because an EV might not CURRENTLY be a good fit for many of us due to lack of infrastructure doesn't mean it's not the best choice for a great many others. CT in it's current form will likely meet the needs for many millions of potential customers now, and many more as the infrastructure builds out.

Last edited:
I was concerned about the CT ramp before the delivery event, now I'm even more concerned. Did you all notice deliveries start in '24? Not now, or December, but 2024? I'm afraid production still might not even start for months. As usual with my pessimism, I hope I'm wrong, but the ramp could be even uglier than what I feared in my previous bear case.
Nah. If you order one now then there is no way you are getting it in 2023. Too many in line in front of you. I think that's all it means.

And 2024 is optimistic. I bet if you order now you aren't getting your CT until 2025 unless you order the Cyberbeast.

In metro areas and along major interstates, that's true. On secondary roads, or in remote, rural areas? Not so much. In much of the West (not West coast) you're out of luck if you're not along a major interstate. Even in the crowded East, if you prefer rural backroads, you're stretched at the current time. Granted, things are improving steadily, but the infrastructure isn't there yet for a lot of the country. The problem is, the places you're likely to want to take a trailer are most likely in those rural, somewhat remote areas.

Fortunately, in a few years there will be Superchargers everywhere, and, the trailers will have their own batteries and motors.

The Range extender will Never be sold, just makes no Sense at all

It’s too heavy to be easily removed, it’s not possible to truly fast charge as of cooling complexity, it worsens every spec of the car including the ones you care for when buying into the extender which is range and charge times as more weight is less range and the extender can’t keep up with vehicle charging speed
Can the range extender plug and play as a powerwall? If so, instant purchase for me. I want to purchase 4 powerwall for my farm. If I could go with 2 powerwalls and an extender for extra capacity for my home system, and then unhook and plug into Cybertruck when needed. I have equipment to lift and move. All I need is for it to be compatible for home storage and in the truck. For 90% of my use standard battery pack is fine and I want the batteries at home for backup.