Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup.

In Marques Brownlees video, he plays with the cover controls, opening and closing it several times. You can clearly see it retracts down in the area in front of the forward bed wall, not down inside the bed (video at correct time below):

Marques Brownlee's CT Review

There was also some discussion a while back of the space in retraced in to underneath the bed.
The cover works like a high tech roll top desk.

I think that's just the default color of Fanuc robots, nothing to do with outgassing....

Reminded me of this dumb allegation against Elona few yrs back:

View attachment 996303

Somebody subsequently posted a factory pic FULL of yellow Fanuc robots lol...

That report from Reveal, was FUD from the UAW.

Robot colors (typical)
Fanuc = yellow
Kuka = Orange/Red
Kawasaki = white

In one of the videos...I think the one with Jason talking to Lars and Franz...I believe they said "our panels are up to 1.8 mm thick"

I definitely remember 3mm for the early prototype...and rounding that to 1/8" in my head.

If 1.8 mm is indeed accurate as a MAX thickness, they have done some amazing engineering and materials work ... and the cost is even lower than your calculation.
Alternatively that might mean that Tesla shifted some of the mass from the stainless steel skin to the aluminum castings and battery pack. Also it might mean that Tesla upgraded to a more expensive alloy and/or metallurgical process for making it. Without more information it’s impossible to determine.

I'm not sure which is the most problematic feature of CT for pedastrian safety, shape of front or collision energy absorption? IF it's a problem.

I just wondered today, would I like to collide with front of Nissan Ariya... But it's fine for EU.

Attachments

• IMG20231204160913~2.jpg
    IMG20231204160913~2.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 26
An editorial in todays Globe and Mail, about the virtues of attracting capital to finance the transition.

“China has a huge base of this investment already – the majority of the capability and the intellectual property for processing these raw materials into what we actually need to go into the battery cells resides in Asia. It doesn’t reside in North America,” Ms. West said in an interview.

A challenge, however, will be attracting the capital for all parts of the EV industry, especially as the United States woos investment with the Biden administration’s Inflation Reduction Act, which features US$369-billion in green incentives.
Another concern among executives is the slow pace of expanding the charging infrastructure, which remains a key hurdle to acceptance among consumers.
(Paywalled)

Reactions: madodel
Regarding the usefulness of the Cybertruck. I remember a long-time contributor who was quite interested in buying a few of these for forestry work, but the CT was too delayed, and they had to go another direction for new trucks.
@nativewolf are you still receiving?
Curious if you've taken a look at the Cybertruck now, and if/how you think it fits the forestry business.

A more fun request for some spectulation ;):

How long will it be before Cybertruck deliveries outpace Ford Lightning or Rivian (R1T+R1S) sales in a given month? In a quarter?

And how long before total/cumulative Cybertruck sales exceed those of Lightnings and/or Rivians, even though Ford and Rivian started selling earlier?

There's an Electrek article today saying that Ford's lightning hit a monthly sales record for November:

"F-150 Lightning sales more than doubled (+113%) in November, with 4,393 units sold. With the growth, Ford’s Lightning is the best-selling electric pickup through November, edging out the Rivian R1T."

Rivian's record for QUARTERLY deliveries in total (R1T + R1S + delivery van I believe) was 15,564 for Q3 2023...so they can manage just above 5,000 per month as of now.

I think any other electric trucks (hummer, etc.) are still in the dozens per quarter range.

Tesla's stated target of ~250,000 cybertrucks per year is way above any targets I've heard from Ford or Rivian, and would eventually put Cybertrucks at about 5,000 per week, or ~20,000 per month (a factor of 4 higher than the other guys are currently). I'm having memories of how the Chevy Bolt "beat" the Model 3 to market, but Chevy could not or would not target big production numbers, so eventually the Model 3 totally outpaced it.

A more fun request for some spectulation ;):

How long will it be before Cybertruck deliveries outpace Ford Lightning or Rivian (R1T+R1S) sales in a given month? In a quarter?

And how long before total/cumulative Cybertruck sales exceed those of Lightnings and/or Rivians, even though Ford and Rivian started selling earlier?

There's an Electrek article today saying that Ford's lightning hit a monthly sales record for November:

"F-150 Lightning sales more than doubled (+113%) in November, with 4,393 units sold. With the growth, Ford’s Lightning is the best-selling electric pickup through November, edging out the Rivian R1T."

Rivian's record for QUARTERLY deliveries in total (R1T + R1S + delivery van I believe) was 15,564 for Q3 2023...so they can manage just above 5,000 per month as of now.

I think any other electric trucks (hummer, etc.) are still in the dozens per quarter range.

Tesla's stated target of ~250,000 cybertrucks per year is way above any targets I've heard from Ford or Rivian, and would eventually put Cybertrucks at about 5,000 per week, or ~20,000 per month (a factor of 4 higher than the other guys are currently). I'm having memories of how the Chevy Bolt "beat" the Model 3 to market, but Chevy could not or would not target big production numbers, so eventually the Model 3 totally outpaced it.

C'mon, we all know the answer...

2 weeks​

Ah thanks for this. I've been looking for any evidence of Brake by Wire, as it wasn't explicitly mentioned like Steer by Wire was, which I found odd.

Watching that video, it indeed doesn't look like a traditional brake master cylinder along with that steering control unit:

View attachment 996291

The Brembo Sensify system uses a hydraulic brake-pedal sensor unit for pedal "feel", so there would ostensibly be lines running to it.

The Brembo was tested on a Tesla, incidentally... and Tesla has used Brembo systems on their cars, so there's some thought they were developed in conjunction with each other...
It looks like a normal system with a dual circuit master cylinder with some form of booster feeding a 4 corner ABS unit.
1701704043634.png

It looks like a normal system with a dual circuit master cylinder with some form of booster feeding a 4 corner ABS unit.
View attachment 996330
I also saw a post elsewhere claiming he's seen pics of the underside of the CT and there's hydraulic lines. I've also seen (admittedly earlier) pics of the brake calipers, and they aren't red, which Brembo's typically are.

So perhaps Sensify didn't get included after all..

Regarding the usefulness of the Cybertruck. I remember a long-time contributor who was quite interested in buying a few of these for forestry work, but the CT was too delayed, and they had to go another direction for new trucks.
@nativewolf are you still receiving?
Curious if you've taken a look at the Cybertruck now, and if/how you think it fits the forestry business.
For forestry: Home | Munro Vehicles. This one hoses down inside the cabin !