Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is good or bad - on Tesla's website, it looks like Tesla is discouraging new orders and encouraging buying from inventory.

I think this is a US thing? Here in the UK custom orders are as prominent as ever.
I suspect highland model 3 is imminent in the US, and they want to clear old M3s.
Or could just be some threshhold of inventory build up has been reached, or even a US sales team policy shift to maintain lower inventories.

Maybe unexpected, but Germany's IG Metall shows sense versus Swedish union IF Metall.
This is good.

The headline and the lead paragraph in the article is wrong.

IG Metall said that it would be illegal for their union to join the strike, not that the IF Metall strike is illegal. German law has restrictions on solidarity/secondary action. In Sweden it is protected by law.

…Chile has several points in it’s favor… Chile has the world’s largest lithium deposits is the world’s driest places, very high
I love that the loaded ore trucks can gravity-charge via regen going down and use that power to go back up again. Maybe even set up overhead electric trolley style wires part of the way so trucks generating on the way down can power others going up empty at the same time rather than stopping to charge/discharge so much.

Surprisingly detailed video from Sandy Munro. Sort of a pre-teardown with the Tesla engineers standing there to explain everything... wow!

Um, yeah, and it may be worth mentioning that this episode was SPONSORED BY FORD.

Kudos for Jim Farley and his electric branch of the business for their support!

Edit: For the record, I am offering this as sincere praise to Ford, though I could see where it might be humorous as well.

Last edited:
Surprisingly detailed video from Sandy Munro. Sort of a pre-teardown with the Tesla engineers standing there to explain everything... wow!
If you listen in the teens minutes there is an extensive discussion of bi-directional gigabit fiber ether loop which avoids classical ethernet indeterminacy because it incorporates aspects of token ring. Way back in the late 1980s we were awarded patents (owned by my company Artel Communications, alas) for the unique concept and product of bi-directional 100 Mbps ethernet over fiber loop network with token ring determinacy. Back in the stone age each node was a 3U rack piece of hardware. I'd love to meet these engineers and discuss this.

I think this is a US thing? Here in the UK custom orders are as prominent as ever.
I suspect highland model 3 is imminent in the US, and they want to clear old M3s.
Or could just be some threshold of inventory build up has been reached, or even a US sales team policy shift to maintain lower inventories.
Interesting: in many cases, Canada usually aligns with US market offerings both because of our geographic and economic connections. But this circumstance may be different because our federal credits aren't changing in the new year, so our demand likely hasn't dropped to the same extent as US in December (Tesla Canada's site is still offering new builds):

1702312458002.png

IG Metall said that it would be illegal for their union to join the strike, not that the IF Metall strike is illegal. German law has restrictions on solidarity/secondary action. In Sweden it is protected by law.
Yes, this is very important for atmospherics, if nothing else. It moves it somewhat out of the realm of the "anything goes American company trampling on our European labor rights" narrative.

Model 3 also doesn’t have the rain sensors and parking sensors anymore, and has more deliveries in the first 2 months of Q4 than in any quarter of the rest of the year.
Surely the reason can’t be that an upgraded Model 3 (Highland) got relatively more desirable in Europe than the Model Y. More range, cheaper, and more suitable for city traffic, nobody would consider that as better.
I am afraid at least part of the good sales numbers is due to the fact that Highland just came to market though (people stop buying when they hear there will be a refresh and thus delay some demand to when the new version is available, which makes sales numbers better intially than they will be long term).. Model Y has sold more in Europe consistently (129k vs 92k in 2022, 228k vs 89k in 2023 YTD, so your arguments for the Model 3 (which I agree to being a 3 owner) don´t seem to be the base for most poeple´s buying decision).

I am afraid at least part of the good sales numbers is due to the fact that Highland just came to market though (people stop buying when they hear there will be a refresh and thus delay some demand to when the new version is available, which makes sales numbers better intially than they will be long term).. Model Y has sold more in Europe consistently (129k vs 92k in 2022, 228k vs 89k in 2023 YTD, so your arguments for the Model 3 (which I agree to being a 3 owner) don´t seem to be the base for most poeple´s buying decision).
Meanwhile, Model 3 owners in the USA waiting for Highland...

give-me-give-it-to-me-now.gif

There's a new Model 3 order with my name on it once those puppies start shipping over here.

And next year there may be relatively more demand for Model Y because of the coming Model Y refresh.
My point was that the ups and downs can have many reasons. Blaming it on the rain and parking sensors is confusing correlation with causation.
When I was waiting for the delivery of my new car this morning, I briefly spoke with a couple that was also in the waiting room awaiting the delivery their first Tesla. They knew so little about their new car that they were certainly not aware about what’s going on with the sensors. They may yet discover that, but that’s after they bought their car.
It’s just the people buying their second or third Tesla that are aware of sensorgate and they are a minority. And in Europe many Teslas are fleet sales where people are just glad to get a Tesla as a company car, where monthly lease budget is the dominant factor.

And next year there may be relatively more demand for Model Y because of the coming Model Y refresh.
My point was that the ups and downs can have many reasons. Blaming it on the rain and parking sensors is confusing correlation with causation.
When I was waiting for the delivery of my new car this morning, I briefly spoke with a couple that was also in the waiting room awaiting the delivery their first Tesla. They knew so little about their new car that they were certainly not aware about what’s going on with the sensors. They may yet discover that, but that’s after they bought their car.
It’s just the people buying their second or third Tesla that are aware of sensorgate and they are a minority. And in Europe many Teslas are fleet sales where people are just glad to get a Tesla as a company car, where monthly lease budget is the dominant factor.
Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Supercharge Pan-American Highway - Wikipedia ?

NB. There's a 66 mile/100km gap in the route called Darién Gap - Wikipedia - previously discussed as I recall (search).

Spurs to other countries (other TMC members will know better) eg RN14 to Rio de Janeiro via Argentina

Countries served​

The Northern Pan-American Highway travels through nine countries, including in Central America:

The Southern Pan-American Highway travels through five countries:

Important spurs also connect with four other South American countries:

View attachment 998311
View attachment 998312

Supercharge Pan-American Highway - Wikipedia ?

NB. There's a 66 mile/100km gap in the route called Darién Gap - Wikipedia - previously discussed as I recall (search).

Spurs to other countries (other TMC members will know better) eg RN14 to Rio de Janeiro via Argentina

Countries served​

The Northern Pan-American Highway travels through nine countries, including in Central America:

The Southern Pan-American Highway travels through five countries:

Important spurs also connect with four other South American countries:

View attachment 998311
View attachment 998312
Not that I have mentioned something along these lines ever before🙄 but…
There also is a pinprick of a Supercharger gap on the Pan American of, oh, 2,088 miles between Prince George, BC and Prudhoe Bay, AK 🤬

Agreed. This tweet from Alex Avoigt captures it better.

1702315720285.png

Since you ask…Chile has several points in it’s favor. Before those, it is a small market, but does not itself produce vehicles. The Banco Itaú economic report is succinct and relevant:
Chile also has a very high GINI coefficient of 44.9, partly explaining how there is a robust but small market for high-end consumer products.

Chile also has the world’s largest copper reserves:
Hmmm, does Tesla need copper?
Then there are other metals:

Mine production in Chile 2021, by metalMine production of selected metals in Chile in 2021 (in 1,000 metric tons)Iron11,200Copper5,588Molybdenum49.40Zinc27.90Silver1.38Lead0.40Gold0.03
source: US Geologic Survey extracted by Statistica

On top of those factors is the huge Santiago electric bus fleet mentioned here in the past, coupled with high receptivity for anything that reduces necessity for fossil fuel imports. That is closely related to a close commercial relationship between Brazilian business and Chilean business. (Perhaps the most famous example was the effective takeover of TAM airline in Brazil by the Chilean family owners of LAN. The two families had long been close, so the accidental death of TAM’s CEO led to a friendly takeover that produced LATAM.) Further, the auto industry of Brazil has increasingly close ties with that of Brazil, although the actual import data reflects a different story:
From an overall policy perspective Chile has huge foreign exchange demand for petroleum and autos, while exports are now dominated by copper and other mining products, with the odd Atacama foray for astronomy (high driest place on earth!).
The single most salient fact about Chile is this:
As the article presents, Chile has the world’s largest lithium deposits is the world’s driest places, very high and very, very difficult to access.
What company is most adept at solving insoluble (ok, couldn’t resist, insolvable) problems?

Overall, it seems to me that Chile is an excellent market for Tesla Energy and an excellent small market for automotive products, not to exclude the raw materials potential. Don’t forget that the Chilean Human Resources are exceedingly familiar with the rest of Mercosur and know just how to navigate in Brasilia, often, I’ m observing, more adeptly than are most Brazilians. [that last sentence requires a book-length explanation, but Elon’s cousin, and/or others nearby, probably has already explained all that].

Were I a Tesla influencer I would have recommended the course they’re on. Once they’re established in Chile, Brazil is easier and when Argentina begins to recover, as eventually it will, Tesla will be ready.

In sum, Chile is easy to enter and provides entry to the Southern Cone/ Mercosur
I concur with our venerable int'l banker in that my many years of investing in Chile and the rest of the continent, and deep experience in Chile's extractive industry lead me to believe it is indeed the linchpin for Tesla in LatAm.

Not that I have mentioned something along these lines ever before🙄 but…
There also is a pinprick of a Supercharger gap on the Pan American of, oh, 2,088 miles between Prince George, BC and Prudhoe Bay, AK 🤬
Well, Tesla have to choose where to start their Superchargers for the route. Starting at Santiago, Chile seems reasonable to me... others may disagree.

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12