Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Camera Crew walking the running production line at Giga Berlin:

Might provide some interesting insights.
Wow - I watched the video thinking "wow, interesting but a bit slow, relaxed and a bit boring".

then at 15:15 the teamlead on that line says "you see, you got time, no one is stressed here...."
that's when I realized the whole video is for the IG Metal to see how good working conditions are,
they got music, they got time, it's a diverse set of people, it's relaxed, see .. it's all fine here.

actually this is brilliant, and it's better to be reported by "a random youtuber" than tesla itself - well done Tesla PR well done

Please help me understand. The Boston Dynamics robots that did that amazing coordinated dance and the one that does backflip seems more capable - for the untrained eyes - than Tesla's Optimus. What am I missing?

Have you ever seen a Jackie Chan movie? At the end they show outtakes of all the tries it takes to do 1 successful take for a trick he does in the movie. The point is in real life he'd fail 20 times to get it right 1 time because the thing he showed was super hard to do.

Now how many times to you think Boston Dynamics tried and failed before the one good clip they shared? I'm saying if you take those same bots and handlers and put them on a random course and give them a new route they'll be failing dozens of times to get it right 1 time. Boston Dynamics robots don't get any better after they learn a course.

Tesla's robot actually learns and does it on it's own and gets better over time. If you give it a new course it'll just do it. If it needs more training any training you give it will apply to other courses and routes.

Are you saying that Optimus learned to pick the egg just by watching? How does it know what kind of material that egg is made of - hard metal or paper or cardboard or sponge - so that it knows how much pressure to give to lift it without breaking it?

It learned the motions by watching, it learned the pressure by breaking eggs (storing the pressure used at time of breaking) and putting less and less pressure each time until it stopped breaking them.

Wow. Any idea how that deal is structured? Is Uber supplying all the cash, part of the cash, or is Tesla taking the full hit in offering a discount?
Not sure about the structure but I think this is a Hertz-Uber-Tesla thing probably tied to the big order placed by Hertz back when then followed by partnership announcements between Hertz and Uber

I wouldn't be surprised if this type of deal is what produced that huge delivery beat a couple quarters ago that nobody saw coming

It learned the motions by watching, it learned the pressure by breaking eggs (storing the pressure used at time of breaking) and putting less and less pressure each time until it stopped breaking them.
Or, it tries picking up objects using increasing pressure until they no long slip out of its grasp. That plus grabbing below the widest point goes a long way toward dealing with unknown items.

Re Optimus 2 comments on “X “ ex Scott Walter , good video with Herbert Ong

It is “branded “ suggesting production ready
Musk has earlier said “production ready November “

So , we may be seeing the first model optimist to go into production

Question for next quarterly meeting : what are optimist 2 production volumes for 2024 ?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger

It's soon going to be super easy to rent an EV and not even have to think about charging. There's nothing better than charging while you sleep.

Looks like Model Y is also losing all credit

I would like to know the "specific" reason why. Too much foreign stuff in the batteries? Was the IRA revised? Just Tesla?

Something smells funny, especially with the recent FCC ruling of StarLink...

I would like to know the "specific" reason why. Too much foreign stuff in the batteries? Was the IRA revised? Just Tesla?

Yeah, if both the M3 and MY are losing the credit on Jan 1, then what other EV's can possibly qualify at all for the rebate? 🤔

Could this simply be Tesla trying to scare up an end of Q4 car sales rally? Because I thought the MY LR used cells from Giga Nevada?

The phase in of the IRA means component and mineral requirements each bump up 10% and components can't come from an entity of concern.

It's soon going to be super easy to rent an EV and not even have to think about charging. There's nothing better than charging while you sleep.
..and Best Westerns are everywhere

When I gave the commencement address at Yale some years back, I expounded on
Youth
Ability
Leadership &
Experience

Thank the Good Spaghetti Monster I never get called upon to do the same at

T.H.E.T.E.X.A.S.I.N.S.T.I.T.U.T.E.O.F.T.E.C.H.N.O.L.O.G.Y.A.N.D.S.C.I.E.N.C.E
You were invited to give the commencement at Yale?

Who are you?

Yeah, if both the M3 and MY are losing the credit on Jan 1, then what other EV's can possibly qualify at all for the rebate? 🤔

Could this simply be Tesla trying to scare up an end of Q4 car sales rally? Because I thought the MY LR used cells from Giga Nevada?
My guess is that it has to do with the mineral requirements.

I don't believe Tesla is playing games. If Tesla says they are losing part or all of the credit then that is the best information Tesla has.

If it was Mary Barra, I might think differently. But sleazy sales tricks would be out of character for one of Elon's companies.

The phase in of the IRA means component and mineral requirements each bump up 10% and components can't come from an entity of concern.
I was aware of that @mongo but how specifically does it apply to M3 and possibly MY? Have Tesla known since the passing of the IRA and hoped it would be revised? Is it something Tesla can possibly correct in 2024 with use of other battery manufacturers? The discount next year is too big of a benefit to potential customers and therefore to sales to ignore. Or perhaps Tesla already has a solution and this "fact" is meant to sell cars before year-end...

I realize you don't know the direct answer, but your thoughts on the matter are always welcome.