Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those whose investment behavior is similar to mine, this end of 2023 is a trifle bittersweet.
I sold some TSLA and another issuers shares, all of which I had purchased around eight or more years ago. Those bought the house I wanted but...I've just sent the capital gains report off to my tax attorney. The really good news is that I did not need to sell very much of my holdings. The bad news is that when the percentage gains are well above 1000% the tax consequence is horrendous. Since my US citizenship is still very much active although I haven't lived there for decades the burden is unaltered. The US unitary taxation rules, almost unique, are quite onerous and irritating.

So I complain and will be forced to sell more to pay for the US profligate ways. Luckily, I suppose, I will end out unaffected in Brazil mostly because the US taxes are higher than the Brazilian ones and they do honor the credit despite lack of a tax treaty.
The virtues of HODL continue to please me despite that irritant.
In the meantime I still HODL as much as I can!

(sorry for the end of year rant. This is the only forum I use where this is topical)
Meu amigo,
We are in the same boat. Sold shares this year to buy my dream beach home in Florida (my backyard is the beach/ocean).
I've been vacationing here for the past 40 years and always wanted to buy something.
Closing in January so I sold 70% of the shares in 2023 and will sell remainder next week to lesson the tax hit.
I've stated this before but for any new members, I'll repeat it.
I bought some TSLA before stumbling onto this Forum. Many here gave me the conviction to not only buy more and go all in, but more importantly, you gave me the conviction to HODL. I am eternally indebted to you. My remaining portfolio is still largely TSLA.

Side Note: My dear father found this vacation location when I was a teenager. He had a modest condo (he was a poor immigrant from Portugal when he arrived in the 50's). His very good friends called him by his middle name "Matias". No one else called him this. If I heard someone call out Matias, I new it was a good friend. My father passed away last year. I named this new house "Casa Matias". I have a plaque to put above the door on the day we close.

Happy New Year to you all.
1704056165732.png

Fair commentary and outlook.
I think one huge event you are missing is the potential for a Model 2 (call it what you want) reveal in 2024. If we see this, it won't matter what eps is for Q3 or Q4, analysts may adjust their valuation models bringing price target upgrades.
I don't know if we will see the reveal in 2024 but I feel pretty certain that the the time from reveal to delivery will be short. I think the model Y had 10 months between reveal date and delivery date. I would not be surprised to see a 6 month time frame for the model 2.

If you look at all the other production starts of new Tesla models, really the one that aligned with a big boom in the stock was the Model Y. That was synergistic with Tesla beginning to produce consistent profits and operating leverage. I do believe Model 2 could do the same only if aligned with improving Tesla financials around the same time. At the end of 2024, I agree this could boost institutional targets and share price more than I estimated.

Nice post.

I do think that the point of sale tax credit on Model Y will more than make up for the loss of the credit on Model 3. Austin has a lot of extra capacity for producing Model Y. I expect a huge increase in US sales of Model Y.

Robotaxi probably won't get deployed at scale in 2024. But I expect that it is very possible that the technology will be proven well enough to justify a $500 SP in 2024. I expect that this will be the year when the market finally figures out that robotaxi is around the corner.

I think the question is more of supply chain, especially batteries. Model Y gets the rebate because they are using 2170 from Nevada, whereas Model 3 2170 are imported. If less people want a Model 3 and more want a Model Y, they need to boost the proper cell supply. They can't just take the imported 2170s over to the Model Y, at some point those still won't qualify for the tax rebate.

Model Y supply can go up from 4680 cell supply ramp. But if Model 3 is still using imported cells and no rebate, its sales will go down and total volume might be a wash. I agree the rebate is an improvement over the tax credit, but how much? People with lower incomes will now be able to use it, but not sure that is the target demographic for these higher priced cars. People with high incomes (like in California) aren't affected either way. Removing cost upfront and on loans is a benefit for sure, but I feel it's like $2.5k worth of new benefit if I had to guess.

Really the way to solve this is to redirect the imported 2170s to Berlin or Shanghai and hope 4680 can come in with huge supply and support Model 3 / Y. If there is enough Nevada 2170s and Austin 4680s, you can probably get Long Range Model 3 to qualify.

I appreciate this well thought out analysis regarding the stock in 2024.
However, I think it is a bit pessimistic, because it extrapolates merely from what is known. This is very sensible for most companies, and certainly most auto companies, but I think it misses the mark when it comes to Tesla.
Tesla has 4 wildcards that could MASSIVELY shift the stock higher:

1) FSD is actually achieved, or looks imminent, at some point in 2024
2) Optimus accelerates and starts to reduce factory headcount
3) Model 2 is announced
4) Something Special.

You are noting that 3) is likely, but there is no weighting for 4). Over the 7.5 years I've held the stock, there have been relatively slow periods and then sudden shocks. Cybertruck was a MASSIVE shock. Optimus is also a shock. Do we know what will happen in 2024? certainly not, but if there is any company prone to suddenly announcing random shocks, its Tesla.

I don't think 2024 will bring us FSD, human-capable (limited domain) bots, model 2 and another big shock. But I *do* think that one of the 4 is likely. Tesla has put phenomenal effort into bot, fsd and nextgen manufacturing. The chances of NONE of this impacting the stock in 2024 seems extremely low to me.

FWIW my bet used to be on FSD, but has shifted to bot. That last video shocked me. There has obviously been progress since then. The next 6 months will be extremely interesting. Tesla is a stock that can be both boring and terrifying to HOLD. I Hold specifically because I know that one day, some totally un-foreseen tweet from elon is going to shock every one of us. I don't want to be buying in a frenzy the day AFTER this happens, and I will happily wait another year to see what unfolds.

Robotaxi level FSD is not happening in 2024. Even with impressive improvements, it is still multiple orders of magnitude away from the reliability needed. I've read a bunch on the AI threads from machine learning experts like @DrChaos and @ZeApelido and listened to X Spaces with some experts too to get some insight.

However if FSD does become really impressive in 2024, it is totally possible the market temporarily prices much of that into the stock.

I actually agree with some experts that the Bot might end up bearing more fruit before robotaxis - and yes the market hasn't priced that in yet.

Basically I believe a big boost to the share price that you are hoping for can happen, but really only when there is a confluence of improving financial fundamentals and long term projects showing signficant progress. I do believe this could happen later in 2024, but hard for me to see the financials showing clear improvements on 2023 Q4 or 2024 Q1 earnings.

No. Argentina is in dire straits economically. Until and unless they emerge from all that self-inflicted pain they will have no real prospect. Just search for Argentina finances to see the whole mess. In the meantime, though Argentina tourism is the Bargain of the decade, or longer. 160% inflation rate will do that!
I've been vacation in Argentina about 3 weeks every year and agree on what a bargain it is now with US$. I had the best Rib Eye in my life for $12.
In my career, I was the CFO for the Latin America region. I spent time in all the countries. I found the finance & marketing talent in Buenos Aires to be 2nd to none; they were excellent. I would love to see Argentina get back on its feet.

Optimus will do meaningful work on a Tesla factory floor....stock won't move much.

Tesla will announce 5 billion orders for Cybertruck.....stock won't move much.

Mexico's factory will be finished and ramping..... Stock won't move much.

FSD 12.420 is released with a coast-to-coast intervention free drive.......stock won't move much.

Tesla announces a 3-1 stock DIVIDEND.....stock goes to the moon as shorts are forced to cover!

Optimus will do meaningful work on a Tesla factory floor....stock won't move much.

Tesla will announce 5 billion orders for Cybertruck.....stock won't move much.

Mexico's factory will be finished and ramping..... Stock won't move much.

FSD 12.420 is released with a coast-to-coast intervention free drive.......stock won't move much.

Tesla announces a 3-1 stock DIVIDEND.....stock goes to the moon as shorts are forced to cover!
Only if it is a surprise dividend. Not like the last one where the pirates had lots of advance warning.

I have others of course 😀
▪︎ New lowest price for a Model 3 will be $34,990.

I would love to see this, but most especially if Tesla makes a very public/promoted statement comparing the specs to the originally planned/announced $35K version, and maybe a comment on inflation too.

Every time Tesla gets close to $35K on the 3, the Tesla-hating media whines about the broken promises and the years late and bla bla bla. They never even seem to see that the range and features have always been better than that original announcement.

If I remember correctly, the original $35K version announced on March 31, 2016 was supposed to have a 220 mile range (has any 3 ever sold at that low range?), a cloth interior, fewer speakers, no autopilot, etc.

There's also been huge inflation since 2016.

Tesla should announce it with a nice pre-emptive strike at the disingenuous haters, showing the original targets and pointing out all the improvements and enhancements now available in a world where average priced cars (and everything else) are much more expensive...

Good video about how the work is at Austin. Cliff: very agile, Tesla still improving everything rapidly. Onboarding new employees is a week, first day at a hotel, 400 people at the meeting because of the high turnover of new workers as many don't want to work to long hours and high pace, but enough people do want to do it.

Last edited:
Time for Best Single 2024 Predictions

On Edit: JUST ONE, PLEASE!

Each participant is invited to present his or her single best prognostication for a Tesla-related occurrence in the next 365.24 days. Please keep it simple and relevant, and remember that good humor always is in fashion.

Mine definitely is simple; it also is one many will think a pimple on the dark side of the moon in importance….

But thinking about it certainly warms the cockles of MY heart:

PREDICTION -

In 2024, Tesla will have some very, very exciting news coming out of Anchorage Alaska. (at long last!)
Tesla UI Grok will read be able to book a table at the Tesla Restaurant (partly staffed by Optimus) for me followed by reading the news of how Tesla is conducting a buyback.

Each participant is invited to present his or her single best prognostication for a Tesla-related occurrence in the next 365.24 days. Please keep it simple and relevant, and remember that good humor always is in fashion.

Mine definitely is simple; it also is one many will think a pimple on the dark side of the moon in importance….

PREDICTION -

In 2024, Tesla will have some very, very exciting news coming out of Anchorage Alaska. (at long last!)
Autumn: Bot pretty much exactly replicates the «Bot reveal dance»:
(Guardian copy, don’t know original location).

Sure ... but how many ? I'd like to see a break down of new car buyers by income.

May be its my west coast (very expensive) bias - but almost everyone here with two incomes (esp. in tech) seems to make 300k a year.

For eg. one of the reasons I won't get a foundation series (even if invited) is because of tax credits. Since I've the ability to move around my income - I can reduce it next year to get tax credits.
I hate to tell you, but there are plenty of two income families making well under $80,000 a year in the rest of the country.

2024 prediction (wish):

Optimus proof of concept video drops in Q1. Shows the bot working half a dozen real production jobs around the clock. May demonstrate monkey-see monkey-do training. May follow verbal instructions.

Rationale is that Brett Adcock of Figure is seeing software that would allow such a video. Musk has access to the best AI devs, the best team (See pace of Grok emergence) I can’t imagine that Tesla are not at least level pegging with Figure. Tesla have years of experience with FSD. They have the training compute. We’ve seen amazing results on the hardware which they’ve willingly revealed. Everything points to Tesla laying their software capability on the table face up.

PREDICTION -

The Tesla rollout of the Supercharger network to other manufacturers will take maximum advantage of the Tesla app software to route other manufacturers vehicles, in real time, to Superchargers able to most easily support their seamless incorporation into the Supercharger network.

TL;DR: The worries about other vehicles overwhelming the Supercharger network are the biggest Nothing Burger of 2024.

RT

When the prod‘n n delivery figures drop, remember that one ship was turned back to Shanghai from Australia with bed bugs. Those vehicles will be delivered Q1. The shipping co insurance liable for costs, I’d imagine.
Also another ship arrived late in Spain, due to rerouting around Africa, so those additional deliveries in Q1 also

2023 has been awesome for Optimus.We’ve moved from an exploratory prototype (Bumblebee/cee) to a more stable, Tesla-designed platform (Optimus Gen-1).We’ve improved our locomotion stack, frequently walking off-gantry without falls and with a faster, increasingly more human-like walking gait.We’ve built a very low-latency & high-fidelity teleoperation system, used to collect AI training data of the bot imitating humans performing certain tasks.We’ve designed, trained and deployed some of the first end-to-end neural nets for humanoid robots ever demonstrated to autonomously perform tasks requiring coordinated control of humanoid torso, arms, and full hands with fingers.We've designed and built yet another upgraded version of the bot (Optimus Gen-2), adding an articulated neck, revamped hands w/ tactile sensing, and a tighter integration of harnesses, actuators & electronics.What made this possible?- a fantastic group of passionate people working hard and well together- a scrappy, flexible, flat & bureaucracy-free startup-like operating structure- a large-scale AI training & evaluation infrastructure- years worth of prior work on technology foundations for our cars, on actuators, batteries, AI chips and Autopilot software- the backing and vision of a CEO who doesn’t shy away from tackling tough problems for the better of humanityWhen the time is right, our manufacturing lines will be added to that list.Tesla is one of the very rare places on Earth with all the critical ingredients to make this actually happen, and the potential to shape a future of abundance for everyone.I wish you all a wonderful, happy New Year, and invite anyone who can to join us and help make 2024 even more incredible!

http://tesla.com/ai

PREDICTION -

I predict in the 3rd quarter Tesla will introduce Gen 3, it's true "world" car, and it will be called the model R (you know S3XYR). Production will first begin in GigaTexas for US consumption and from GigaMexico, plus the newly announced GigaIndia, as their first production cars. It will have Drive-by-wire and be designed to easily be configured for use in any country ... in the world!

Oh, and at the car introduction, Optimus will step out of the driver's seat, make the Vulcan peace symbol, and speak "Live Long and Prosper" in Spock's!