Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting - didn't think they were shifting any at the lower price point...?

1704306057763.png

View attachment 1005449

I assume this is where all of the talk about what Tesla will state as their goal, but I looked back a few pages and couldn't find this exact quote.

I found that quote in this story-

But they give the source as Automotive News-- the same folks who tried to claim "someone" at Toyota told them Corolla sells 740,000 cars per quarter and thus outsells Model Y, so I wouldn't place any bets based on it.

So just reading thru that inside EV’s article again. Am I understanding that cyber trucks can’t charge at any CCS charger even if they have an NACS plug? That seems counter productive to sales.

In 11 years I have never had to and never wanted to charge at a CCS charger. Ever.

I prefer my chargers to actually work (a la Superchargers). Why would it discourage sales while there are Superchargers around?

Of course a serious "pop" in short-order could change my mind, but unlikely. I wouldn't plan on any incentives alone for this decision, but fully expect some design kinks to iron out. I can wait a full year, not a problem. We're still near the front of the line, and if the rumors of only 1,000 Founders are true (seems low but maybe), I bet they'll be circling back to our orders by next this summer. Good luck!
Second half of this year would be of perfect timing for me.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
In 11 years I have never had to and never wanted to charge at a CCS charger. Ever.

I prefer my chargers to actually work (a la Superchargers). Why would it discourage sales while there are Superchargers around?

Yah for sure. But many of us don’t have that luxury. The supercharger network is great but doesn’t cover everywhere. We routinely charge at FLO and B.C. hydro facilities on routes that are not served by superchargers.

I understand the sentiment, but there are regions where CCS chargers are extremely reliable, such as the Circuit Electrique network up here in Quebec (FLO in the rest of Canada).

You still have to contend with the small number of chargers per site (wrt to SC), but they have many more locations, and they have comparable uptime.

I have also heard from friends using both that the price per kW is cheaper with these CCS chargers than with Tesla SC, obviously this will vary over time and by location.

Yah for sure. But many of us don’t have that luxury. The supercharger network is great but doesn’t cover everywhere. We routinely charge at FLO and B.C. hydro facilities on routes that are not served by superchargers.
Now that NACS is "the standard", hopefully those areas build out quickly.

True. And fart jokes are like shooting fish in a barrel.

But on a (slightly) serious note, I think that given Tesla's record on such matters, the Optimus "pull my finger" gag is about 99% likely to happen.

Tesla has leveraged and/or adapted quite a few existing technologies or areas of expertise from the automotive side for the Optimus program:

- Battery cells/packs
- AGI/Neural Networks
- Cameras/image processing
- Motor/actuators
- Light-weight chassis design
- Low power/high performance compute

The obvious next one, now that Optimus has touch-receptors in the hands: "Gaseous Emissions Testing" (aka "Fart Mode")

1704309411545.png

Do it anyway, on a cold day too. You'll love Tesla even more.

We just did our first CCS charge on the Model YP in Flagstaff last weekend (I have the adapter and SW). Took 3 times to connect giving us 53kW on a really cold day. I did not like how the Model Y would try to keep just the adapter, it was stuck in there so I'm assuming there's some method to the release. Plus I felt like it was going to break off with that sticking out so far. Definitely not designed to support that stiff cable. OMG, I LOVE Superchargers!!!

View attachment 1005449

I assume this is where all of the talk about what Tesla will state as their goal, but I looked back a few pages and couldn't find this exact quote.
Tesla has never issued a forecast at the time of the production and delivery report. So I don't believe for a second that it was actually Tesla that gave that 2.2M prediction.

Some wondering can Tesla reach 20m unit sales. I think they wont, not because they can't, it's not necessary.

My projection for vehicle sales 2030 is as follows:

• Model 3 Y: Approximately 2 million units.
  • Cyber Truck: Around 1 million units.
  • Cyber SUV (Full-Size SUV): Estimated at 400,000 units.
  • Van (Delivery and Robo Van): Projected at 1.5 million units.
  • M2 Variations: An impressive 8 million units.
  • Semi Trucks: About 200,000 units.
  • Model S/X: Approximately 50,000 units.
  • Roadster: Around 20,000 units.
This brings the total to roughly 13 million units. However, it's likely to be lower due to the increased utilization of robotaxis. My prediction is based on the assumption that one robotaxi could replace the usage of four regular cars. By the 2030s, I foresee that most people will opt not to own a car. The economic advantages of using robotaxis, which are expected to be more cost-effective, will drive this trend. While some individuals may still own personal vehicles, it's probable that these vehicles will be considered luxury items due to the shift in ownership patterns and the growing reliance on autonomous vehicle technology.

Do it anyway, on a cold day too. You'll love Tesla even more.

We just did our first CCS charge on the Model YP in Flagstaff last weekend (I have the adapter and SW). Took 3 times to connect giving us 53kW on a really cold day. I did not like how the Model Y would try to keep just the adapter, it was stuck in there so I'm assuming there's some method to the release. Plus I felt like it was going to break off with that sticking out so far. Definitely not designed to support that stiff cable. OMG, I LOVE Superchargers!!!
Were the Flagstaff SCs all taken?

Were the Flagstaff SCs all taken?
Nope. One of my Grand-kids pointed to a Chademo at Walmart... so I moved it over for a test run (and I needed more for Grand Canyon trip).
Maxed at 53 kW, car charging next to me, cold, starting at about 50% SOC.
1704313015570.png
However, Cortes Junction SC was packed. And the SC in West Flagstaff at that hotel on the hill... also packed (that one surprised me, it was always empty last year). Consider the dates, was New Years and lots of folks travelling, so pretty good really.

Last edited:
Only if it has the Falcon Wing doors. The big problem with the S was that my friends, who aren't all the flexible, banged their head almost every time they entered or exited the S. The X eliminated that problem. Don't know about the Cybertruck's rear door yet--not even one video shows a full sized adult entering and exiting the rear (not sitting the rear--plenty of those). I have seen one video of a child entering the rear.
Exactly! And for us wheelchair guys, Falcon Wing (or at least perhaps suicide doors) are the only option to slip our manual chairs in behind us.