Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is keeping their hand close to their chest. No Gujarat Summit announcement.

Went down the Gujrat rabbit hole ...

so far this is the only article that says nay, rest all says yay/might
2 more days ...

PM Modi met Elon in Nov/Dec.
Some other minister visited Fremont in Dec

Last edited:
People stopping to take pictures or even from a car used to happen all the time with the first generation Roadster.
With one difference. Cybertruck gets notice EVERY time. It was difficult to find anyone that didn't look and grab the camera immediately. If they didn't have the camera out, they just stood there smiling. The kid jumping up and down was hard to beat - got me excited watching him react.

I will have to say that my old Buick would turn "most" heads... and ran as good as it looked. But not like that Cybertruck.

I had a Master equivalent in this one (some amateur restoration in a few places). I kept it 99% stock walking miles in the Az junkyards, but some things (like the original hubcaps) were ugly so I put some '65's for the show. This is a '63 LeSabre. Crap, now I miss the "machine" parts of this 45 yr old project. The Transmission - Dynaflow was amazingly complex and simple. Their docs were outstanding and would explain it all like you were buying an industrial hydraulic press. The diagrams were outstanding with colors to show pressure showing the stages of a shift.

1704905244528.png

I also had a 3-speed manual K5 Blazer as well. Everything GM drive train was interchangeable (unlike Ford). Sad to see them go.

@unk45 a year ago you told us Google's embedded Android Auto in your Volvo was terrible (I think you used a spicier adjective!). What's the development there, if any? Maybe still no competitor to the Tesla OS, but is it more usable today? Put another way, is it no longer a reason not to buy a Volvo (or Polestar)?

Since then, my partner bought a 2023 Bolt, and I'm finding the OS (and app) passable. Again, not nearly as good as Tesla's, but a heck of a lot better than her past, non-connected ICE.
In a surprising development Volvo has been making frequent OTA updates. Obviously the old manual buttons still exist. In several other respects OTA updates (cellular connection paid by them) have reduced electron use (I have not been measuring since) and some map functions work better. The sensors still are as bad as they were. It’s not awful but I would change to Tesla the first day I could. The new EX30 is purpose built EV on a Geely platform. Reviews are enthusiastic.

It's not really about capability, it's about supporting standard plows.
The Lightning can't take standard plows because of where they put a part.
So could a Cybertruck support a snow plow and reasonably be used for pushing snow? I hope so, because it would greatly illustrate it's versatility and capability, and bolster it's street cred as a real truck IMHO.

Are stories I'm seeing about Cybertruck's mediocre snow performance true or just FUD?

Reactions: navguy12
So could a Cybertruck support a snow plow and reasonably be used for pushing snow? I hope so, because it would greatly illustrate it's versatility and capability, and bolster it's street cred as a real truck IMHO.

Are stories I'm seeing about Cybertruck's mediocre snow performance true or just FUD?
It's the AT tires that are the issue.

Why the warning? What has Tesla done to indicate they’re doing something wrong regarding employees? How does it relate to what Costco did wrong? You must know something otherwise there’s no reason for a ‘take good note, Tesla’ warning.
I don’t know whether you’re being obtuse, ignorant, just plain confrontational or some combination.

“Done?” I did not nor would I have used that verb form. In logic - and in law - a sin of omission can be as wrong as a sin of commission.

I needn’t wear the mantle of any stakeholder other than that of a shareholder, one which presumably you and the other members of this forum also either are or contemplate being.

As such a shareholder, years - decades - of experience and the collective centuries of historical knowledge show that labor unions participating in the affairs of a company negatively affect the welfare of the shareholder. Deny that at your peril.

As far as the greater sphere of all stakeholders is concerned, there I know the calculus is more complex. The goals, the desires - of employees, of suppliers, of the local community, the politicos, the country, the world, the environment, the future generations… these not only can and irrefutably are going to differ, but also will conflict.

BUT: To the extent which there has been any friction between Tesla and organized labor - and by friction I mean any interaction of any sort - then by the immutable laws of pure logic Tesla has sinned. By commission (“done” something such that there is labor grievance), or by omission: failure to communicate effectively just why it is in each employee’s best interest not to succumb to the allure of a labor union.

I posit it is the latter. Regardless, as I wrote in my prior post, Costco not only is to be commended for so recognizing, but should seriously considered by the Board for following.

The stories about mediocre snow performance are based on one (as far as I know) example. It's not a production CT but a release candidate with all terrain tires rather than snow tires, no locking differential, owned by Tesla, and the snow is really deep. Any truck would get stuck in that situation.

I don’t know whether you’re being obtuse, ignorant, just plain confrontational or some combination.
I’ve now made the same assumptions about you. I asked a straight up question why Tesla had to take note of what Costco did. You suggesting that Tesla had to do it in the first place leaves a person to wonder what Tesla has or hasn’t done regarding employees. No need to leave a message that Tesla has to follow another company’s position if Tesla is in fact doing things just fine. So what exactly has Tesla done that warrants your message? Feel free to provide specifics otherwise your message can be ignored by Tesla.

Alternatively, you could have said ALL companies should follow Costco’s example. Then I wouldn’t have asked the question.

Last edited:
I have been searching for an appropriate contribution to discussion regarding Tesla and organized labor. Not anything specific to Sweden or Scandinavia or Berlin or Fremont or a service center, but the company’s relationship with each of its employees.

I just came across something from one of my very oldest investments - tying with Starbucks in its longevity - Costco.

Last week, workers at Costco’s Norfolk, VA store voted to join the Teamsters. I am overwhelmed and, interestingly, rather excited and definitely pleased at management’s response. As my phantom presence on Tesla’s Board (remember: that exists solely in my head), I would be bringing this front and center for serious consideration. Here is what I read:

We're disappointed by the result in Norfolk.

We're not disappointed in our employees; we're disappointed in ourselves as managers and leaders.

The fact that a majority of Norfolk employees felt that they wanted or needed a union constitutes a failure on our part.

That is it. It is not an indictment concerning the stupidity or shortsightedness of workers over their lack of understanding how the company can serve the employees better than a union can; it is an admission that management has failed to communicate such a message.

Well done, Costco. Take good note, Tesla.
I may be wrong here, and somebody correct me if so, but isn’t the Berlin Gigafactory 100% unionized? I thought they were according to German law.

If this is the case, there’s no need for conjuring hypotheticals and doing straw man scenarios.

On a related point, Scandinavia is right next door to Germany, and surely they have a way of resolving at least some of the strike logjam and getting some Tesla products into the respective countries without all the hoo haw we’ve seen recently.

Apologies for the lack of big words.

I may be wrong here, and somebody correct me if so, but isn’t the Berlin Gigafactory 100% unionized? I thought they were according to German law.
No. There is a works council, required by law, that works with Tesla on things, but it is not a union. IG Metall wants to unionize GigaBerlin in addition to the required works council.

Time for Best Single 2024 Predictions

On Edit: JUST ONE, PLEASE!

Each participant is invited to present his or her single best prognostication for a Tesla-related occurrence in the next 365.24 days. Please keep it simple and relevant, and remember that good humor always is in fashion.

Mine definitely is simple; it also is one many will think a pimple on the dark side of the moon in importance….

But thinking about it certainly warms the cockles of MY heart:

PREDICTION -

In 2024, Tesla will have some very, very exciting news coming out of Anchorage Alaska. (at long last!)
I hope I’m not too late to the party. Somehow I got 180 pages behind, and decided that the message value here was worth catching up by reading every durned message rather than doing the “skip” option…

PREDICTION
A crime will be committed this year using a unique feature of the Tesla product.
For example: a bank robbery where the goods are transported away somewhere by a Tesla running FSD. No human occupants in the vehicle.

Sorry I’m late but I’m much smarter now. Thanks to all of you. Except my ignore list.

Perhaps Tesla is using the "It's a secret, don't tell anyone about the refresh M3" strategy. ;);)

In other words, another routine Tesla ad campaign.
Or they invoked a company wide blackout policy as they spin up the big surprise.
  1. ______
  2. ____
  3. ________ ______
Then ________ ________, followed by TSLA to 500.

(Not Advise...)

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and 2daMoon