Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1000006798.jpg

Tesla showing police departments the cost savings available by using teslas as patrol vehicles is the kind of advertising I could get behind.

He said something on the JRE pod something like Climate Change will not end the world as we know it.
How does he know the world? How do you know the world?

My knowing is that it’s a cesspool of human suckiness; constant warring, negativity, judgements, criticisms, greed - Yeah, he’s right. Climate Change isn’t changing the world as I know it. 🤷🏻

My knowing is that it’s a cesspool of human suckiness; constant warring, negativity, judgements, criticisms, greed - Yeah, he’s right. Climate Change isn’t changing the world as I know it. 🤷🏻
The point is that Elon has taken a step back and says that climate change is being overblown, in the short term. He said we shouldn't demonize or try to force people away from oil and gas. Which is different than the past.

Elon 5 years ago would have likely re-tweeted that article, now I'd guess he'd say it's a fear mongering.

The point is that Elon has taken a step back and says that climate change is being overblown, in the short term. He said we shouldn't demonize or try to force people away from oil and gas. Which is different than the past.

Elon 5 years ago would have likely re-tweeted that article, now I'd guess he'd say it's a fear mongering.
Ok. How do you want me to feel about that?

I asked this of another poster last week. What’s his definition of short term? 6 months? A decade? A century? I have no context on which to base my own opinion on his opinion.

Additionally, the world is not static and neither are people’s minds. We can and do change our minds, often when we have more/new information. So what is that information he has vs what he had 5 years ago?

Last edited:
Ok. How do you want me to feel about that?

I asked this of another poster last week. What’s his definition of short term? 6 months? A decade? A century? I have no context on which to base my own opinion on his opinion.
Elon has made an obvious shift on how he feels about climate change and the oil/gas industry. Decide yourself?

He thinks anyone pushing that Climate Change is an imminent threat is fear mongering. He says politicians and academics are the worst offenders.

I'm not defining what he means by imminent or short term, but that's a different voice than we heard years ago. Even if he felt that way in the past, he didn't vocalize it.

Elon has made an obvious shift on how he feels about climate change and the oil/gas industry. Decide yourself?

He thinks anyone pushing that Climate Change is an imminent threat is fear mongering. He says politicians and academics are the worst offenders.

I'm not defining what he means by imminent or short term, but that's a different voice than we heard years ago. Even if he felt that way in the past, he didn't vocalize it.

I think Elon shifted after Russia invaded Ukraine, so he's worried about an expanding war

5 years ago, BEV worldwide adoption was uncertain. Now the clean energy transition trajectory is much clearer.

Had Titanic spotted the iceberg just 2 minutes earlier, then it wouldn't sunk. Same concept.

Autoline video with a drive of the CT truck with the head of a company that bought one for teardown. Ex GM truck head that has a ranch where he uses the CT as a real truck.

At one point John M asks if he thinks real truck guys will ever convert. He says probably not now but uses his experience with battery powered tools to point out eventually they will.

Not a lot new but an interesting watch. Some interesting insights.

Is this a fair summary?

Top takeaways:​

Tesla Cybertruck review:
  • Exterior: Stainless steel panels are scratch-prone and difficult to clean. Large windshield wipers leave a gap at the top. A-pillars significantly block the driver's vision.
  • Interior: Center touchscreen is large and easy to use. Yoke steering wheel is awkward and takes time to get used to. Rearview mirror is difficult to see due to small size and position.
  • Driving: Steer-by-wire system feels disconnected at low speeds but improves at higher speeds. Brakes are responsive. Four-wheel steering makes the truck surprisingly maneuverable. Ride quality is good with an empty bed, but can be harsh with a load.
  • Functionality: Bed gap allows debris to fall in and is difficult to clean. Tailgate drops debris onto the bumper. No physical turn signal stalk; requires using a button. One-pedal driving is not ideal for all situations. Wind noise is noticeable at higher speeds.
  • Overall: The truck is capable of doing work, but the reviewer is unsure if traditional truck buyers will be interested due to the cost, practicality, and design choices.
Additional:
  • The reviewer believes that electric trucks will become more popular as costs decrease and technology improves.
  • He also believes that people who charge their electric trucks at home will have a significant advantage over those who rely on public charging stations.

I can’t decide for myself without all factual information. I need context. I need to know what he’s specifically got in his head that’s causing him to express specific words. Otherwise I’m basing my opinion on incomplete, possibly inaccurate information.
You think he thinks it? Or he said it exactly how you’ve typed it? You don’t think any politician or academic hasn’t fear mongered on the topic? Ever? Does he have a specific person or incident in mind?
Ok. I understand that and my reaction is - and? People change their minds. He’s changed his mind. What is your point? You must have one. It’s bad he’s changed his mind? It reveals he’s no longer on task?

I’m not trying to be difficult. I’m trying to understand where you’re coming from. Your point of view. How you believe this relates to Tesla. Otherwise it just looks to me like your listing a random ingredient for chicken marsala - uscbucfan says there’s chicken in chicken marsala.

Ok.

I can’t decide for myself without all factual information. I need context. I need to know what he’s specifically got in his head that’s causing him to express specific words. Otherwise I’m basing my opinion on incomplete, possibly inaccurate information.

You think he thinks it? Or he said it exactly how you’ve typed it? You don’t think any politician or academic hasn’t fear mongered on the topic? Ever? Does he have a specific person or incident in mind?

Ok. I understand that and my reaction is - and? People change their minds. He’s changed his mind. What is your point? You must have one. It’s bad he’s changed his mind? It reveals he’s no longer on task?

I’m not trying to be difficult. I’m trying to understand where you’re coming from. Your point of view. How you believe this relates to Tesla. Otherwise it just looks to me like your listing a random ingredient for chicken marsala - uscbucfan says there’s chicken in chicken marsala.

Ok.
1. The things I typed that he said were from him and in the context of discussing climate change in general.
2. My post was simply to point out that he doesn't feel moving off fossil fuels quickly is necessary. People say stick with the mission, but for him the mission isn't the same as it was. That's not to say Tesla's mission has changed.
3. This isn't to spur a debate, just pointing it out. It's not critical, just a datapoint.

Elon doesn't think the government should be forcing EVs. He doesn't agree with subsidies or mandates. This part has been pretty consistent with Elon all together.

I dunno... I feel like in the ~12 years I've been following he and his endeavors closely, I've heard him express sentiments similar to "people overestimate short term effects, and underestimate long term impact" relatively early on in the Tesla era...

As has been mentioned, given the transition to EV's is probably a foregone conclusion at this point, I think he's tempering things with a healthy dose of reality.

I think it's similar to his approach to electric cars... while building an EV that appeals to the practicality of addressing climate change should have been sufficient, he realized the reality of the situation was that only appealing to tree-hugging nerds (and I happen to a nerd that loves trees) with a wimpy bug-looking car wasn't gonna do the trick. So, he designed an EV that was stylishly sexy, stupid fast, practical to charge, and decently priced.... and then immediately made efforts to do more of the same.

Same here... it's not practical to stop using petroleum at midnight tomorrow, and you won't get folks in your camp by suggesting so. Much better to try and get people to buy in over some time... heck if he got all the Petroleum companies to invest in Solar/green energy like Aramco, they could remain profitable throughout the transition, and everybody would be happy (well, not everybody probably...)

Last edited:

That cesspool you describe most accurately portrays the world online and as described by politicians and chaos agents who profit from making people see it that way.
It does not at all describe what I see interacting with actual IRL humans around my town, or my neighbors, not my workplace, or people I interact with while traveling domestically. Yet they all ARE affected by climate change. Clearly there is a new tension between “the mission” and Tesla’s chief of ... mission. And we all know where the ambivalence came from.
As to some of the discussion here about TSLA and mission, there has always been a tension between the mission and maximizing profits. Lowering prices close to the bone on the one hand could be portrayed as undermining the mission by making it harder for other EV companies to survive and thrive. Or it can be seen as a company doing what companies have to do -- as one of my biz school marketing profs once said: YOUR company’s first job is survival. Profits will follow that survival. Tesla doesn’t have to worry much about survival at this point, but does need to thrive with good cash flow to execute its important game plans for things like Model 2 etc.
But giving ammunition and support to climate change deniers does not in any way support TSLA investments OR the reputed mission.
There is no nuance with these people, no healthy dose of reality about EV progress. There will only be “Even Elon says climate change isn’t an issue."

Last edited:
Seriously, how
5 years ago, BEV worldwide adoption was uncertain. Now the clean energy transition trajectory is much clearer.

Had Titanic spotted the iceberg just 2 minutes earlier, then it wouldn't sunk. Same concept.
We are not even out of the fog yet regarding this transition. We have 6 years left to do most of it and who knows if we will....

Mark is the best at understanding how we can accomplish this.

Perhaps it is a "different voice" because the scenario has changed. Maybe it isn't that he feels this way about "anyone" so much as it is he feels this way about "someone" specific.

Fear mongering is one of the oldest tools known to man for acquiring power undeservedly. Caution should always be increased when what appears to be such a tactic may be employed to take advantage of a situation. It is always a good idea to filter for whether the end game increases someone's pocketbook, influence, or power over others in a negative way before jumping on the bandwagon.

It seems good advice to apply first principles and the scientific method to determine whether or not the facts align with the story someone is pushing.

Q: The material states each PW3 can receive from up to 6 PV lines. To me "lines" suggests separate arrays - does this also mean that each PW3 has six separate or somehow effectively separate inverters?

And if one acquires 4 PW3s (apparently the maximum per unit), then one has the ability to have 4*6= 24 separate arrays? More: the material also states "scalable up to four units." So...conceivably up to 4 units of 4 PW3s = 13.5kWh * 16 = 216kWh - that's ample for me even in the depths of an Arctic Circle winter. Just trying to envision my non-existent next home project...if I'm understanding these data correctly.
Lines probably means 'strings'.
That doesn't mean multiple inverters. If you buy big commercial solar inverters (I have 10!) then a single inverter can support a lot of strings. In my case 10 strings each. Its still ONE inverter, but each string can be run at a different voltage so you optimise the production, where the shading for each string is different.
The conversion from DC to AC is definitely only happening once, in one place, but it allows for more fine grained optimisation. In practice, for a powerwall, this would mean you have panels in 6 different orientations (a horribly fiddly roof with trees, loft extensions and overhead cables causing various levels of shading at different times).
I think most domestic solar inverters support either 1 or 2, normally for houses with east/west facing single slope roofs.

Oh, also this is happening too which is pretty astounding when its successful. I'll personally make a trip to Santa Monica just to go there.

1707856706867.png