Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About the new USD 25.000 Tesla car:
It would certainly amaze me if Tesla would not think out of the box and hasn’t been looking at completely different/new materials.
Tesla deciding: we’ll make it from steel, of course?
That just isn’t Tesla.

The hard part, however, is not the strength of (composite?) new materials, but the durability (aging), reusability and long time exposure to things like the sun.
Finite element analysis will take care of the majority of strength questions.
I am very curious what materials Tesla will use for this new car!
I nominate ZINCALUME steel as a product worth of consideration. Steel coated with zinc and aluminium

Many Australians have this on our roof and we are very glad to have if a heavy branch falls off an overhanging gum tree in a storm it will shatter a tile roof, it may dent the ZINCALUME roof, but the roof should stay watertight.

In costal QLD is common for a roof to need to be "re-screwed" after around 20 years, that is because the galvanised steel screws have rusted, if they are not replaced they will eventually cause the ZINCALUME steel to rust.

As far as I can tell ZINCALUME steel can be stamped via the regular process, it can certainly be bent,, Fixing to a car body can be via spot welds, rivets or silicone or some other glue. (I think we can rule out spot welds and probably rivets for plastic).

I think unpainted ZINCALUME panels would be fine for a Robotaxi, but not for a private car, unless the owner was happy with how the product looks naturally, washing, scrubbing or polishing the surface to retain a shiny look would probably remove the rustproofing, And personally speaking, I would not want my car looking like a Robotaxi.

It can be easily painted with no need to use primers, and only one side needs to be painted.

Cost is around $15 AUD a linear meter for a 1 meter wide corrugated sheet, a flat sheet should be cheaper. I estimate no more than 10 metres for a compact car.

Compared to plastic we need to consider:-
  • Cost
  • Environmental impact - CO2 emissions and recycling.
  • Longevity
  • Damage repair,
  • Aesthetics
The cold climate perspective is different because you have salt on your roads, but things also rust very quickly here due to the salt in the air.

While I think ZINCALUME is a good material for the top of a car, plastic is a better product for the bottom, especially parts which don't get a lot of sunlight.

Tesla already has a lot of black plastic on the bottom of the car, and as per the bumpers, plastic can also be painted.

So some mix of ZINCALUME and plastic and let the science, engineering, cost and design find the optimal boundary.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Unpilot
Whew. After the WSJ published a not-horrible article about Franz/Tesla, I was wondering if the world was OK. But today, Tim Higgins of the WSJ published an absolutely trash article painting Elon as a Putin stooge. I won't link the article because it is truly garbage. But I can sleep well tonight knowing the world is back to where it was.

I nominate ZINCALUME steel as a product worth of consideration. Steel coated with zinc and aluminium

Many Australians have this on our roof and we are very glad to have if a heavy branch falls off an overhanging gum tree in a storm it will shatter a tile roof, it may dent the ZINCALUME roof, but the roof should stay watertight.

In costal QLD is common for a roof to need to be "re-screwed" after around 20 years, that is because the galvanised steel screws have rusted, if they are not replaced they will eventually cause the ZINCALUME steel to rust.

As far as I can tell ZINCALUME steel can be stamped via the regular process, it can certainly be bent,, Fixing to a car body can be via spot welds, rivets or silicone or some other glue. (I think we can rule out spot welds and probably rivets for plastic).

I think unpainted ZINCALUME panels would be fine for a Robotaxi, but not for a private car, unless the owner was happy with how the product looks naturally, washing, scrubbing or polishing the surface to retain a shiny look would probably remove the rustproofing, And personally speaking, I would not want my car looking like a Robotaxi.

It can be easily painted with no need to use primers, and only one side needs to be painted.

Cost is around $15 AUD a linear meter for a 1 meter wide corrugated sheet, a flat sheet should be cheaper. I estimate no more than 10 metres for a compact car.

Compared to plastic we need to consider:-
  • Cost
  • Environmental impact - CO2 emissions and recycling.
  • Longevity
  • Damage repair,
  • Aesthetics
The cold climate perspective is different because you have salt on your roads, but things also rust very quickly here due to the salt in the air.

While I think ZINCALUME is a good material for the top of a car, plastic is a better product for the bottom, especially parts which don't get a lot of sunlight.

Tesla already has a lot of black plastic on the bottom of the car, and as per the bumpers, plastic can also be painted.

So some mix of ZINCALUME and plastic and let the science, engineering, cost and design find the optimal boundary.
I like it. Hot dipped galvanized (Zinc coated) steel can be slow cooled to produce gorgeous crystals, as in these photos. No two alike, like snowflakes. The zinc can eventually wear off with time (like paint for example), but over steel provides a robust barrier to rust and corrosion.

1708230915105.jpeg

1708230969324.jpeg

I like it. Hot dipped galvanized (Zinc coated) steel can be slow cooled to produce gorgeous crystals, as in these photos. No two alike, like snowflakes. The zinc can eventually wear off with time (like paint for example), but over steel provides a robust barrier to rust and corrosion.

View attachment 1019462

View attachment 1019463
Yes, I also like the crystals and it does look great when it is new an shinny...
I've had a few sheets replaced here,,,, and it does still look good and shinny after about 2 months...
I am going to take an interest because the contrast between new and old is stark.. (old in this case is around 30-40 years old, with years of trees dropping junk on it and fair bit of the change is probably dirt.)

I also wonder if the zinc and aluminium act as a "sacrificial anode" then form a protective patina over the surface which helps slow further reactions...

Regardless, I am also a big fan of "sacrificial anodes"....

Looks like it is possible to homologate Cybertruck individually in Germany (not sure if this means Tesla could get a regular homologation for normal sales):

At €485000 each - I'll have 2

A TESLA Cybertruck is for sale with individual acceptance
for European roads. Appropriate modifications (including headlights, charging port, front protection, etc.) have been made and are officially approved.

Hence the corresponding price. Was able to take an order from the USA, had it converted and imported, it wasn't free! :)

It is the so-called Founders Edition with the well-known inclusive features.

Absolute rarity 2024!
Apple Vision Pro is also available for the overall feeling if you are interested... :)

Attract fascinating attention on the streets. :)
For personal reasons, I'm giving it away...
If you're interested in taking over the vehicle at the fixed price above, there are a few things to consider, private arrangements...

Opinion:

I for one hope Tesla doesn’t go with stainless or galvanized or falcon wing doors or yokes or anything unconventional for the Model 2. I want it to look good but be conventional (except for great tech like 48V architecture). No wedges, no yoke, no unusual doodads.

Model 2 needs to appeal to the masses and sell in jaw-dropping numbers. That is going to be much more difficult when you go with something unconventional merely because the masses are closed-minded and often resistant to change, even if it’s potentially better.

The mission is not to see how different you can make the car look. The mission is to get as many people as possible driving Tesla’s cars. Moreover, anything unconventional will probably slow the ramp.

I for one will be disappointed if we get a Cybercar for Model 2.

NO, NO, NO
Everyone (at least from the Boston area) knows that the official measurement is a SMOOT.

True story, back in the 70s, my friends and I also defined a similar unit of measure call the Bob. In real life, Bob was a horse jockey 5' tall and 100 lbs. It was a combination of length and weight - essentially a measure of Bob's density. But this metric had uniquely even numbers with the potential for wide use due to it's simplicity. "We could throw that rock at least 10 Bobs." or "Feels like 1/2 a Bob." This went on for years in fact.

Again, coming from Canada, it was important growing up that we had units that were simple to use. Then they changed to the metric system, so the Bob unit was no longer needed. Perhaps it is still useful in the USA.

But no! Those Americans had to come up with their own version called a Smoot. Does anyone here remember how long a Smoot is without having to look it up? But I bet you'll all remember what a Bob is... forever.

I have another buddy that thinks the reason the USA didn't change to metric in the was to keep the people stupid for better control of the populous. Sadly, this reason is possible. After all, they came up with calipers to measure in fractions of an inch. That's nuts!

I also wonder if the zinc and aluminium act as a "sacrificial anode" then form a protective patina over the surface which helps slow further reactions...

Regardless, I am also a big fan of "sacrificial anodes"....
Boat designers get off easy. They just ground a zinc anode in the water... done!
Hey, I wonder how much we've elevated zinc oxide levels in water from this?
Hey, I wonder if you could make a battery out of our lakes by now? :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: jerry33
I for one hope Tesla doesn’t go with stainless or galvanized or falcon wing doors or yokes or anything unconventional for the Model 2. I want it to look good but be conventional (except for great tech like 48V architecture). No wedges, no yoke, no unusual doodads.

Sorry to break it to you, but both 'steer-by-wire' variable-rate and the desire to retract the steering wheel from the cabin almost certainly requires some sort of yoke. We've seen literally a half-dozen iterations over these past few years as to what the 1st release may look like, but I think its highly unlikely to be a conventional circular steering wheel with a mechanical attachment to the steering rack.

Sorry to break it to you, but both 'steer-by-wire' variable-rate and the desire to retract the steering wheel from the cabin almost certainly requires some sort of yoke. We've seen literally a half-dozen iterations over these past few years as to what the 1st release may look like, but I think its highly unlikely to be a conventional circular steering wheel with a mechanical attachment to the steering rack.
Shape of the steering wheel is irrelevant to steer by wire. Retraction requires a void to retract into and could impact the deployment of the air bags.