Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy and utility scale projects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My theory is that batteries aren't needed and even V2G isn't needed, just many Robotaxis. They will dominate the grid and selecting when they are charged will smooth the grid.
View attachment 1008139
Robotaxis need to stay on the road. Personal cars plugged in 23 hours/day at home and work are perfect for stabilizing the grid. We just need 20-50x more of them.

As for the graphic, 4 kW peak draw is laughably low for a US house. A/C can easily draw 4 kW by itself, then you have ovens, electric clothes dryers, etc.

I have often thought of electrolyzers playing this sort of role. We'll need green hydrogen (and derivatives) for certain uses beyond the grid. Just consuming seasonal excesses (above ordinary grid demand) creates demand for RE overcapacity.
You need to run high capital cost equipment like Electrolyzers 24x7, or close to it. Stationary batteries have the same problem -- decent ROI in some cases if cycled daily, but ridiculously expensive when only used 20-30 times a year. That's why it makes so much sense to use cars, they still provide value even on days the grid doesn't need them.

Reactions: RabidYak
So this post seems to confirm that they intend to have a setup where you have one PW3, and then just add extra battery packs to it, not whole additional PW3s:

Yeah, the "DC-coupled battery expansion units" is interesting. I wonder when that will be available and how much it will cost to add an additional unit down the road.

11.5 kW of continuous power is enough for most homes unless you're charging an EV at high power, but if you're off-grid you're probably willing to dial that down.

Of course the engineer in me who would want to overbuild everything wants two PW3s with 23 kW of continuous power and two more DC-coupled expansion units for 54 kWh of total storage...

Hello friends, do we have a comparable chart for 2023 for energy storage from other companies like BYD or CATL?
I'd be happy even with a global chart that combines them all.
1709131438715.png

Hello friends, do we have a comparable chart for 2023 for energy storage from other companies like BYD or CATL?
I'd be happy even with a global chart that combines them all.
I read recently the US added ~27 GWh utility scale storage in 2023. Tesla global Megapack + Powerwall was 14.7 GWh. Other data indicates Powerwall is only ~15% of that. If all Megapacks are sold in the US Tesla's US utility scale market share could be a bit over 40%. If half are exported it cuts their US share to about 20%. I'd guess they export some, but nowhere near half, and have about 1/3rd of the US utility scale market.

And the supervisor of the Tesla crew at my house moaned about the weight of the old Powerwalls. I wish they'd sell 50 and 100 kWh home batteries that sit on a concrete pad and are brought in with a forklift.
I have a 3 ton HP so all I want is the cheapest Powerwall that can support my heat pump.

I don't give a darn about days of coverage, if it can last through a KUB outage of several hours I can handle any down time on a multiday outage (like if the PV + PW can cover daylight plus a few hours I'm fine if it goes dark while I sleep, and starts over drained the next day).

I think the worst power outage in my life here was less than a day (less than 8 hours even). And that was before I had a LR model 3 to charge my phones and stuff with.

I could sleep/watch/read in the Model 3 if the house AC/heat was unavailable. Heated seats or AC in a fully enclosed garage. So long as the PV came up in the daytime I could recharge the car each day.

Reactions: Fred42
I read recently the US added ~27 GWh utility scale storage in 2023. Tesla global Megapack + Powerwall was 14.7 GWh. Other data indicates Powerwall is only ~15% of that. If all Megapacks are sold in the US Tesla's US utility scale market share could be a bit over 40%. If half are exported it cuts their US share to about 20%. I'd guess they export some, but nowhere near half, and have about 1/3rd of the US utility scale market.
EIA said ~6.4GW of dedicate battery storage _power_ so depending on supported C-rates it could be about that.
There was 15.4GW of battery storage _power_ at the end of 2023, supposedly with another 14.8GW of _power_ coming in 2024.
Average usage factor was 5.7% in 2023. As more capacity is being added battery storage energy is gradually getting closer to that of pumped hydro.
Power capacity start of December 2023, usage factor %: 14,051.5 5.7% 23,166.5 8.1%