Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except tasks that involve carrying boxes and other parts. Those are mainly walking tasks (they're also probably the tasks that result in the most workplace injuries).

Hence my qualification on the type of task: "That's only true if 100% of the work involves walking."

My point is that in many cases a 50% walking speed doesn't imply only being capable of 50% of the work.

"It's BYD's World, and Tesla is Just Trying to Hold On, Experts Say.." :rolleyes: No, I won't post the link.

Either they don't get it, or are just taking any imaginable way they can to poo-poo Tesla. ANY EV sale takes away from ICE sales, not other EV maker's sales. Capishe?
If articles like this can make $TSLA go up almost 5%, poo-poo away please!

Wow. That's a lot of vehicle for $17.5k. Seems to me like BYD and Tesla will have overlapping / competing products faster than I was expecting....
My sources say it's $15K, not $17.5k for their '24 base model. (That's where I calculated the $19.5K earlier, even with the 30% tariff in USA.)

Edit per google ai:
"As of February 19, 2024, the Qin Plus EV Glory Edition by BYD has a starting price of RMB 109,800 ($15,250). The top-of-the-range model with the largest battery has a starting price of RMB 139,800 ($19,400). The Glory Edition is BYD's first card in its latest model refresh."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
Wow. That's a lot of vehicle for $17.5k. Seems to me like BYD and Tesla will have overlapping / competing products faster than I was expecting....

I think the likely future is that BYD will dominate the cheap EV segment and become to Android of EV, while Tesla takes the mid-to-high price segment like Apple does with the iPhone. Tesla will be making more profit per car, but BYD has the volume to make up for lower margin.

Mod: Deleted political comment from this post. This is a reminder that politics is the #1 banned topic in this thread, and in the forum generally. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the likely future is that BYD will dominate the cheap EV segment and become to Android of EV, while Tesla takes the mid-to-high price segment like Apple does with the iPhone. Tesla will be making more profit per car, but BYD has the volume to make up for lower margin.

Let this be another wake-up call for ICE manufacturing.
Why would anyone down thumb this? It’s already happening in China. The numbers don’t lie.

And later in that article on BYD...

"Interestingly, while the prices are coming down, the equipment list grows longer, including the latest conversational virtual assistant."

Tesla, where's Grok?
Kinda sorta way off topic... I wonder if X.ai Trademark Application will get rejected by USPTO for confusion over Groq the hardware and company. It's possible that Grok the software could actually run on Groq technology. Although they are in different classes per the filings, there could be confusion here. I'm not a lawyer, but I lived the process solo. USPTO may need the mark to be less broad as a logo design is my guess.

And if you were confused by this, that's exactly the rub. I was confused and needed to research it. And I actually pay for a Grok membership and was confused. Hopefully this post isn't used as evidence, lol.

BYD will launch here in Brazil a mini version of the Dolphin, creatively named the Dolphin Mini, which is just a rename of the Seagull in other markets, but the biggest point is it should be under R$100k, and for context, the cheapest new car you can buy today costs R$72k

It's tiny, but the fact that it will be available here at this price point is mind-blowing. Definitely not for road trips, 38 kWh battery pack, 40 kW max DC and just 75 hp

1708972750269.png

BYD will launch here in Brazil a mini version of the Dolphin, creatively named the Dolphin Mini, which is just a rename of the Seagull in other markets, but the biggest point is it should be under R$100k, and for context, the cheapest new car you can buy today costs R$72k

It's tiny, but the fact that it will be available here at this price point is mind-blowing. Definitely not for road trips, 38 kWh battery pack, 40 kW max DC and just 75 hp

View attachment 1022178
75 hp... can it go uphill?
Edit - corrected… R$100K = US$20K

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostSkater

Let this be another wake-up call for ICE manufacturing and the progress-defeating Republican Party.

I too think something like this is very likely. And that's okay, if Tesla becomes the Apple of EV's we are all in very good shape! 😁