Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But Apple didn't want an EV; they wanted an Autonomous Vehicle (AV). They couldn't get the driving software to work. Here's but a small sample from my 'Greatest Promisses' list:
Manufacturing Partners: (or, the "Fantasy League")
Analyst DeFIBulator: (all porky-pies)
So that's the Short List of the Apple Car Killers:
  • Gene Munster
  • Dan Ives
  • Craig Irwin
  • Adam Jonas
Today, we close the Apple car saga with this article from appleinsider.com

Cheers to the Longs!

Im-Not-Dead-Yet-Monty-Python-560x373.jpg

While not arguing with your persistent criticism of all things Chinese.you might want to directly evaluate some of them in markets where they are sold. In some models they are now regarded as high quality, even with the cheaper ones. Even the often odd styling is becoming more typically western in many cases. We also might want to understand why Elon, for example, regards Chinese OEMs as the most serious Tesla competitors.
BYD sells over 60k seagulls that are priced under 12k a month. This is their 80hp low range tiny car. Their 2nd best seller is the Dolphin, which again is priced under 20k with low range and just a bit faster. Tesla move near same number of cars 3x this of this price per month. BYD only sells a few thousand Seals/month, the actual model 3 competitor. They just have zero pricing power where Tesla is their competitor, and mops the floor with the rest of the industry where Tesla is not competing (25k and under price range).

So regardless how great people think their 80hp car is, they will ditch them in a second if Tesla start selling cars in that segment. The brand is highly regarded in China because the numbers don't lie when it comes to the strength of the brand.

I am happy that BYD is displacing cheap, terrible and most of the time, ICE cars that faked emission tests in China. BYD is also taking near zero margins doing so. Pretty sure they are supported by the government to sell low/negative margin cars in order to fix emission problems in China. I am not negative on BYD at all and glad they exist. Tesla however cannot copy BYD and make zero margin cars as well hence their new unboxing way in order to hit 20% margins at prices under 25k. I think Elon assumes BYD is actually making money on their 12k car hence why he thinks they are better than they are.

Last edited:
Or wait 6-12 months and pick over the bones……….

Not even worth it, it would be a cash furnace. Better to focus on their core products and the headset thing, I think is the decision. Tesla are now in an enviable position of being ahead in all areas in EV's, Automated driving and energy storage (and possibly humanoid robots) and with a huge cash pile, a very talented team headed by Elon it will only widen that gap.

Not even worth it, it would be a cash furnace. Better to focus on their core products and the headset thing, I think is the decision. Tesla are now in an enviable position of being ahead in all areas in EV's, Automated driving and energy storage (and possibly humanoid robots) and with a huge cash pile, a very talented team headed by Elon it will only widen that gap.

The under construction factory to produce several hundred thousand mid size SUVs (R2) will be worth something to someone.

BYD sells over 60k seagulls that are priced under 12k a month. This is their 80hp low range tiny car. Their 2nd best seller is the Dolphin, which again is priced under 20k with low range and just a bit faster. Tesla move near same number of cars 3x this of this price per month. BYD only sells a few thousand Seals/month, the actual model 3 competitor. They just have zero pricing power where Tesla is their competitor, and mops the floor with the rest of the industry where Tesla is not competing (25k and under price range).

So regardless how great people think their 80hp car is, they will ditch them in a second if Tesla start selling cars in that segment. The brand is highly regarded in China because the numbers don't lie when it comes to the strength of the brand.

I am happy that BYD is displacing cheap, terrible and most of the time, ICE cars that faked emission tests in China. BYD is also taking near zero margins doing so. Pretty sure they are supported by the government to sell low/negative margin cars in order to fix emission problems in China. I am not negative on BYD at all and glad they exist. Tesla however cannot copy BYD and make zero margin cars as well hence their new unboxing way in order to hit 20% margins at prices under 25k. I think Elon assumes BYD is actually making money on their 12k car hence why he thinks they are better than they are.
Don’t focus only on China. Look at the rest of the world. Look at how these manufacturers do in other countries and regions. It’s not about displacing the tiny semi-legal junk cars that were so ubiquitous only a few years back.

Anyway, the results are coming in day by day. Tesla dies very well and I’m sure will cont inue to do well. This is nit about competing with Tesla but about displacing ICE. That is just beginning and is not obvious. The. Infrastructure is being built, worldwide mostly by Chinese companies, with outstanding technology. The BEV revolution can only take place if infrastructure is already in place. The entire world should have already have learned that from Tesla.

That is why the likes of National Grid, Canadian Solar, Huawei and CATL have been first, with the bus and truck markers next then the cars. More of less that has been the pattern. Oddly, BYD is now a leader in solar panels, modular energy storage, bus and truck powertrains with their cars coming last in the list, not first.

Strangely to some most of that has not been price-led. Most of that also has benefitted from strong financial terms. All of that has been publicly known. For some reason, most in NA simply cannot see it happening.

Tesla is fully aware, but simply does not have the product ranges or funding to even begin to compete with all that. Tesla already is noted for Beth technology and manufacturing efficiency. Those will certainly help Tesla keep thriving.

For traditional auto OEM oblivious to changes, the world will soon look bleak

Some will continue successfully. Ones such as Hyundai/Kia probably. It remains to see who else. In the meantime, I personally think TSLA is underpriced.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 1.40.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 1.40.40 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
The under construction factory to produce several hundred thousand mid size SUVs (R2) will be worth something to someone.
Maybe... but a lot of these EV companies seem to have an almost religious belief that the NEXT model and the NEXT factory will somehow magically fix the fact that all the models and factories up to that point had mostly manufactured huge financial dumpster fires.
There is not much evidence that Rivian are heading towards profitability with their existing lineup. I don't see them being worth anything to a sensible investor until there is a credible plan for them to break even.

Don’t focus only on China. Look at the rest of the world. Look at how these manufacturers do in other countries and regions. It’s not about displacing the tiny semi-legal junk cars that were so ubiquitous only a few years back.

Anyway, the results are coming in day by day. Tesla dies very well and I’m sure will cont inue to do well. This is nit about competing with Tesla but about displacing ICE. That is just beginning and is not obvious. The. Infrastructure is being built, worldwide mostly by Chinese companies, with outstanding technology. The BEV revolution can only take place if infrastructure is already in place. The entire world should have already have learned that from Tesla.

That is why the likes of National Grid, Canadian Solar, Huawei and CATL have been first, with the bus and truck markers next then the cars. More of less that has been the pattern. Oddly, BYD is now a leader in solar panels, modular energy storage, bus and truck powertrains with their cars coming last in the list, not first.

Strangely to some most of that has not been price-led. Most of that also has benefitted from strong financial terms. All of that has been publicly known. For some reason, most in NA simply cannot see it happening.

Tesla is fully aware, but simply does not have the product ranges or funding to even begin to compete with all that. Tesla already is noted for Beth technology and manufacturing efficiency. Those will certainly help Tesla keep thriving.

For traditional auto OEM oblivious to changes, the world will soon look bleak

Some will continue successfully. Ones such as Hyundai/Kia probably. It remains to see who else. In the meantime, I personally think TSLA is underpriced.
They are a leader in a lot of things, just not in total revenue as Tesla makes 20% more while being behind in everything. They made 470M operating income for 2023 vs 9B. BYD is putting in a lot of hard work for pretty much no returns.

Last edited:
They are a leader in a lot of things, just not in total revenue as Tesla makes 20% more while being behind in everything. They made 470M operating income for 2023 vs 9B. BYD is putting in a lot of hard work for pretty much no returns.
As @unk46 has mentioned in the past, BYD's financial reports are not as straightforward as Tesla's. We need to be careful about making comparisons, especially on the P&L.

I think we can trust Tesla's free cash flow, but there are so many moving parts on this that I think we need to be careful about the conclusions that we draw. I'm not sure that BYD's free cash flow can be trusted at face value. Bottom line, comparisons on the financials are fraught.

I think BYD are chasing higher volumes on thinner margins and growing ASAP.

Tesla is growing more slowly but with a more deliberate policy of using higher margins to fund the next phase of growth.

Both approaches are needed to quickly displace ICE vehicles.

But IMO the Tesla Gen3 car will be well worth the wait from every perspective, customer, investor, mission.

And the Gen3 car will unlock a rapid phase of efficient growth that will at least match BYD.

But overall BYD are making a good contribution and producing reasonable products that are at least good enough to displace many ICE sales.

And I think when the rapid phase of growth is over, BYD will work on increasing margins.

So:- Gold - Tesla, Silver BYD, Bronze - still somewhere out on the track.

Last edited:
Maybe... but a lot of these EV companies seem to have an almost religious belief that the NEXT model and the NEXT factory will somehow magically fix the fact that all the models and factories up to that point had mostly manufactured huge financial dumpster fires.
There is not much evidence that Rivian are heading towards profitability with their existing lineup. I don't see them being worth anything to a sensible investor until there is a credible plan for them to break even.
Not saying I believe them 100%, but Rivian says that after they shutdown and extensively retool the existing line in Q2, they are expecting to reach gross margin positive on the R1 in Q4 this year.

R2 is unveiled next week.