Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the sad face, Ford?

53560266317_5d567fd555_n.jpg

"Ford just paid $250k for a Cybertruck in the aftermarket and is testing it at its proving grounds near Detroit."

So...just so I make sure I understand correctly:

Ford just paid a bunch of money to bring a vehicle with a full set of cameras to its proving grounds. And those cameras could potentially live stream everything at those proving grounds right back to Tesla HQ.

Is that right?

I mean, they could just remove the SIM.

But also- what do you think is happening at the Ford proving grounds that Tesla would care about?

Numbers for February starting to trickle in for European countries.
Tesla is in first place in Norway with 1778 cars registered (24% market share, 1749 of those are Y), ahead of Toyota and Volkswagen (10.1/8.0%).
That is up 23.1% for Jan+Feb compared to 2023.

BYD in 13th place at 2.1%, up 788.2% (sic) for Jan-Feb.

Just one data point though, I´ll give an update when we have all numbers.

Another interesting point from this list:

1. Tesla Model Y: 1749 biler (2711)
  2. Toyota bZ4X: 389 biler (524)
  3. Volkswagen ID.4: 267 biler (436)
  4. Volvo EX30: 235 biler (330)
  5. Nissan Leaf: 230 biler (493)
  6. Hyundai Kona: 222 biler (504)
  7. MG 4: 210 biler (367)
  8. Nissan Ariya: 206 biler (389)
  9. Volvo XC40: 174 biler (331)
  10. Ford Mustang Mach-E: 150 biler (292)
  11. Audi Q4 e-tron: 147 biler (296)
  12. Volkswagen ID.3: 140 biler (260)
  13. Toyota Yaris/Yaris Cross: 140 biler (200)
  14. Toyota Corolla/Corolla Cross: 125 biler (147)
  15. Skoda Enyaq: 119 biler (192)
  16. Hyundai Ioniq 5: 105 biler (151)
  17. Subaru Solterra: 105 biler (114)
  18. Polestar 2: 102 biler (178)
  19. BMW i4: 101 biler (141)
  20. Mazda MX-30: 100 biler (181)

...is that there isn't many Chinese cars in the top 20. Only MG and Polestar.

And my impression is that the cars most popular now are smaller and less expensive than a year or two ago.
Which rhymes with the fact that the number of cars sold in February is at an all time low.

I don't think any of the Roadster flying, swimming, time travel, or teleportation packages will materialize. Too much liability. Beam me up, Scotty!
The nannies in California is already talking about capping a car's speed. Wait till the idiots...............errrrrrrr.........."social media influencers" on Youtube ruin it for the rest of us.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I would guess Model S/X top of my wish list would be, steer-by-wire and variable ratio steering..

Then do something about the pedals, and RHD deliveries are back on.....

Damn - RGB ambient lighting isn't as exciting...
I think you need 48V for steer by wire, and Lars has stated 48V is only going in new platforms

The nannies in California is already talking about capping a car's speed. Wait till the idiots...............errrrrrrr.........."social media influencers" on Youtube ruin it for the rest of us.
I understand your position and I wholeheartedly support ’too stupid to live’. However, the problem that exists is that innocent people tend to suffer because of others’ stupidity, including driving too fast for conditions, while not paying attention, on worn out tires, beyond personal capabilities etc…. And that’s why we can’t have nice things. As you say, wait for the social media attention (gardening tools) to yet again cause government bodies to need to protect us from ourselves because innocent people demand they be protected.

CNN:

Elon Musk sues OpenAI and CEO Sam Altman for breach of contract​

This revolves around the point that OpenAI has gone from non-profit status to a profit making entity. I'm wondering if this means that Musk has no intentions of profit goals from any of Tesla's AI endeavors; Optimus Bot, GrokAI, etc. Opinions?

"March 1 (Reuters): Elon Musk has sued ChatGPT-maker OpenAI and its CEO Sam Altman, saying they abandoned the startup's original mission to develop artificial intelligence for the benefit of humanity and not for profit."

I understand your position and I wholeheartedly support ’too stupid to live’. However, the problem that exists is that innocent people tend to suffer because of others’ stupidity, including driving too fast for conditions, while not paying attention, on worn out tires, beyond personal capabilities etc…. And that’s why we can’t have nice things. As you say, wait for the social media attention (gardening tools) to yet again cause government bodies to need to protect us from ourselves because innocent people demand they be provided the illusion of being protected, because they won't take personal responsibility for managing that task themselves.
FTFY

This opinion is based upon the fact that after decades of research I've never witnessed any example of a statute leaping off the page it is written upon in order to protect someone.

CNN:

This revolves around the point that OpenAI has gone from non-profit status to a profit making entity. I'm wondering if this means that Musk has no intentions of profit goals from any of Tesla's AI endeavors; Optimus Bot, GrokAI, etc. Opinions?
No.
Musk funded and help start OpenAI with the explicit purpose of it being open, not closed and not for individual or corporate profit. The closing off and Microsoft tie-up violate that intent.

Tesla was not founded on that set of principles.

CNN:

"March 1 (Reuters): Elon Musk has sued ChatGPT-maker OpenAI and its CEO Sam Altman, saying they abandoned the startup's original mission to develop artificial intelligence for the benefit of humanity and not for profit."

I think that it means a contract was entered into to create OpenAI, and one (or more) of the parties to the contract then acted outside the bounds of the agreement they entered into.

Taking the matter to court is the established method to resolve an alleged breach of contract.

Elon's profit goals for other endeavors would not have any bearing on the OpenAI contract itself. The court will decide based upon the terms of that specific contract.

The court of public opinion might have their own take, but that will have nothing to do with the process of law regarding a contract dispute.

Last edited:
No.
Musk funded and help start OpenAI with the explicit purpose of it being open, not closed and not for individual or corporate profit. The closing off and Microsoft tie-up violate that intent.

Tesla was not founded on that set of principles.
Thanks. Sounds like that means that TSLA is entirely entitled to profit making from any AI advancements in the years to come. As are we. Recent advancements, including OpenAI's SoraAI achievements, could be huge for TSLA shareholders. (Edit; what Open AI achieves, TSLA will achieve, in time. Proof of concept has been show, and will do nothing but advance). Explains the enthusiasm seen in the recent Dumb Money Live podcast. HODL people!

Last edited:
The Supercharger congestion fee of $1 per min after 90% was added on Nov 26, 2023. It is not associated with the NACS rollout on Mar 01, 2024 except in that it tends to encourage all EVs to 'move along' once they're full.

Cheers!
You’re correct. I totally missed the ‘congested’ part in our email.
Thought it was a slightly different charge, congested or not. Oops, nothing new…We’ve been advised to only charge to 80%.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Thanks. Sounds like that means that TSLA is entirely entitled to profit making from any AI advancements in the years to come. As are we. Recent advancements, including OpenAI's SoraAI achievements, could be huge for TSLA shareholders. (Edit; what Open AI achieves, TSLA will achieve, in time. Proof of concept has been show, and will do nothing but advance). Explains the enthusiasm seen in the recent Dumb Money Live podcast. HODL people!
Related to AGI and the apple 'car', i'm guessing that when apple saw SoraAI and then knowing how much it spent on original AppleTV content, that funds used to make a car with lower profit margins could have been used for AGI to make a SorAppleTV. Combined with the goggles, certainly more along apple's wheelhouse (contrarian and unintended pun).