Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eco Terrorism has been around for decades, those from the PNW can you some stories. Why it doesn't get more media attention? I will leave that to the posters' opinions. Tesla was the victim this time.

I can assure you this attack got a lot of media attention, at least in Germany.

On the issue of who is really behind it - I don´t like to speculate/blame any group unless there is at least some evidence, but it strikes me as very odd that a crazy so-called environmentalist group does have the know-how to exactly identify and so effectively attack their target in the electricity grid (they are not environmental, rather just mental IMHO, you have to read their letter of confession.. they also made an attack against a company deloping an app for COVID reporting back in the day...)

And GM hasn’t produced their electric Silverado yet. But I wouldn’t hold your breath it’ll be a success anymore than the Lightning with or without Rivian tech.

Already had a neighbor breathlessly tell me about the 700 mile range of the new yet-to-be-built RAM EV truck (est'd range is 690 miles).

They weren't interested in hearing that its a hybrid, with all-electric range of just 145 miles, or that it needs a 27 gal gas tank to go a further 545 miles... that's only 20.2 mpg on gas.

Nope, don't wanna hear it. :p

The decrease in Tesla used prices is massive when you look over the past few years. Unfortunately, it just keeps continuing down with no end in sight.

The Model 3 average is already lower than the CarGuru index. The Model Y is still $5000, I can't imagine it hitting the index average so it's got to slow down soon.

These numbers should tell you the pricing pressure on Tesla is still happening. They will not be able to raise prices in aggregate anytime soon.

Tesla prices are down 16% in the last 3 months, while the index is down 4%. That's....not because of interest rates.

I keep thinking of buying my wife a used Model 3, but I keep waiting (since July 2023) because I'm waiting for the prices to stop declining so heavily.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 3.35.31 PM.png

The decrease in Tesla used prices is massive when you look over the past few years. Unfortunately, it just keeps continuing down with no end in sight.
Yes, that is great for the mission, and for future sales...

Short term there is a hit to revenues from used sales. (Only a small part of the overall picture).

Used priced reductions are primarily driven by:-
  1. Reductions in new car prices.
  2. Higher production volumes.
  3. Existing Tesla owners trading up to a new model.
  4. The used supply / demand balance..
  5. Post covid new car prices spike to very high levels, and the chip shortage meant a downturn in production volumes which kept used prices high,
  6. A slow down in vehicle demand across the board in China, which has triggered an aggressive price war. (See point 1.)
As an existing Model 3 owner an upgrade to the latest model is tempting, but I always keep new cars for at least 10 years.

Anyone leasing often can't buy the car at the end of the lease, but with the improvements in the new model, very few would prefer to keep the old car.

If the CT was targeted at F-150 buyers

That's tangential to the purpose of building Cybertruck right now. It is a technology demonstrator, and more importantly, a self-funding R&D project for many future manufacturing technologies, not the least of which are:
  1. 48-volt architecture
  2. 400/800 switchable voltage pack
  3. Steer-by-wire
  4. Rear-wheel steering
  5. new modular assemblyline
Gen 3 can not be built without these advances in technology; F-150 buyers are but the tip of the ICEburg... and their ICEburg is melting.:p

Cheers!

Yes, that is great for the mission, and for future sales...

Short term there is a hit to revenues from used sales. (Only a small part of the overall picture).

Used priced reductions are primarily driven by:-
  1. Reductions in new car prices.
  2. Higher production volumes.
  3. Existing Tesla owners trading up to a new model.
  4. The used supply / demand balance..
  5. Post covid new car prices spike to very high levels, and the chip shortage meant a downturn in production volumes which kept used prices high,
  6. A slow down in vehicle demand across the board in China, which has triggered an aggressive price war. (See point 1.)
As an existing Model 3 owner an upgrade to the latest model is tempting, but I always keep new cars for at least 10 years.

Anyone leasing often can't buy the car at the end of the lease, but with the improvements in the new model, very few would prefer to keep the old car.
I think you should add concern about the battery life to your list. That would give me pause, and I am reasonably knowledgeable after owning two. That’s a $20,000 spark plug.

Are people dumping their TSLA so they can raise funds to buy NVDA? That explanation comes to mind

No, they dumped NVDA today to make a quick buck (down $110 intraday during today's session):

sc.NVDA.70-DayChart.2024-03-08.16-15.png

I hope NVDA becomes the new 'chew-toy' for Market makers and hedgies, so TSLA can go about it's business.

Cheers to the Longs!

Hello Everyone! Major Announcement from Big Time.

Its with a semi-heavy heart that this afternoon I sold 33% of my TSLA stock. Please don't be sad,mad, or shocked!

The funds will be entirely used in the purchase my home which has been the plan since 2015 when I first got invested in TSLA and Solar City.

I am semi-upset with myself for the timing and the price that I sold at. It could have been so much more but it also could have been so much worse if I was forced to selling when the stock was around 100. Ive learned that you cant time things 99% of the time..., no one can....and I think I have done pretty darn good considering this was my first real investment.

I remember being paid $13 dollars an hour.. sitting while working and watching the TSLA ticker.... nearly ten years ago, not knowing that it would be years before the Model 3 ramp would put Tesla on the map. I invested every dollar that I could spare, which wasn't much when your battling a drug and alcohol problem. I was victorious in that battle, and the Tesla vision became more and more obvious. The following years I would continue to invest all the way to my last single share buy in March of 2023.

When I speak to people now a days about my TSLA holdings they say "You Have How Many Shares?!?!" Not bad for a kid who used to sleep in parking garages in the Minnesota winters!

To my bank who denied my first mortgage attempt after being a customer since 1993 "F&$% YOU" I DON'T NEED YOU!
To my friends who doubted me "#&$% YOU"
To Gordon Johnson "#&$% YOU"
To Tim Seymore "#&$% YOU"
To Ross Gerber babyfood "#&$% YOU"
To Ford and GM "#&$% YOU"

Paying 100% cash for my first home!

I want to thank all the people here, all the friends, all the bulls, all the mods, and all the Tesla and TSLA supporters around the world.

I still retain a large nest egg of shares, which will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

Looking forward to Tesla Energy, Tesla AI, Tesla Gen 3, Optimus Bot.

I have felt a little venerable in the stock and with this deadline of mine looming, I had to take action and do whats best for my significant other and I. The Berlin news and political cycle has my head beating against the wall... and I reluctantly convinced myself(perhaps incorrectly) about short term price movements in TSLA over the next P&D and ER. This couldn't come at a more pivotal time for me, so thank you all for listening and understanding where I am at.

Love you all! Looking forward to a TMC meet up down the road.
Appreciate ALL of the knowledge members have posted here.
Appreciate all of your time and thoughtful postings. You know who you are. You are loved.

I wont be disappearing, so don't celebrate too soon
-Big Time

I think you should add concern about the battery life to your list. That would give me pause, and I am reasonably knowledgeable after owning two. That’s a $20,000 spark plug.
I think more accurate information about actual battery life would help, and perhaps a "battery health check" for used vehicles.

IMO concerns about battery longevity where the same or higher 2014-2022, when Tesla used prices were higher,

If anything the cost of a replacement pack has probably come down.

Fleet statistics on battery longevity would also help inform the debate.

In my case I know how I have treated the battery, buying a used Tesla we don't know how the previous owner treated the battery, But that was always the case..

The media FUD around this issue has been fairly constant 2014-2024, again I see no reason for a recent lift in levels of concern.

I kinda remember Rawlings / Lucid taking shots at Tesla but missed if Rivian had. What did they do?

Google "Tesla Rivian Lawsuit": (it's IP theft via poaching engineers)

"Three years ago, Tesla sued Rivian, alleging that the rival electric vehicle company was “stealing trade secrets,” as Electrek reported, by hiring several former Tesla employees and encouraging them to bring proprietary documents along with them. Now, a judge has ruled that the case can proceed." - Aug 25, 2023​

Its with a semi-heavy heart that this afternoon I sold 33% of my TSLA stock. Please don't be sad,mad, or shocked!

The funds will be entirely used in the purchase my home which has been the plan since 2015 when I first got invested in TSLA and Solar City.

I am semi-upset with myself for the timing and the price that I sold at. It could have been so much more but it also could have been so much worse if I was forced to selling when the stock was around 100. Ive learned that you cant time things 99% of the time..., no one can....and I think I have done pretty darn good considering this was my first real investment.

I remember being paid $13 dollars an hour.. sitting while working and watching the TSLA ticker.... nearly ten years ago, not knowing that it would be years before the Model 3 ramp would put Tesla on the map. I invested every dollar that I could spare, which wasn't much when your battling a drug and alcohol problem. I was victorious in that battle, and the Tesla vision became more and more obvious. The following years I would continue to invest all the way to my last single share buy in March of 2023.

When I speak to people now a days about my TSLA holdings they say "You Have How Many Shares?!?!" Not bad for a kid who used to sleep in parking garages in the Minnesota winters!

To my bank who denied my first mortgage attempt after being a customer since 1993 "F&$% YOU" I DON'T NEED YOU!

I want to thank all the people here, all the friends, all the bulls, all the mods, and all the Tesla and TSLA supporters around the world.

I still retain a large nest egg of shares, which will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

I have felt a little venerable in the stock and with this deadline of mine looming, I had to take action and do whats best for my significant other and I. The Berlin news and political cycle has my head beating against the wall... and I reluctantly convinced myself(perhaps incorrectly) about short term price movements in TSLA over the next P&D and ER. This couldn't come at a more pivotal time for me, so thank you all for listening and understanding where I am at.

Appreciate all of your time and thoughtful postings. You know who you are. You are loved.

-Big Time
Congrats on the purchase and good to hear the spanking machine lives on!

And to add to your post:

An especially BIG F*&$ YOU to Toni "Ball" Sac anoughi.

a physical attack, to me, despite an easily-written letter claiming responsibility, seem much more the style of fossil-aligned interests than the purported environmental group

... and the fact that they called out the "monster truck" specifically (even though it's not made in Germany) tells you even more about who did what.

Also, did you notice the precise engineering language these terrorists (who are not eco) used to describe their plan to weaken the steel pylon through heat damage? This is some Ukrainian level of bridge engineering...

was thinking about this attack in Germany... first this is a terrible incident and that needs to be acknowledged and something this or worse has been a real concern i have since i started investing in Tesla and when Telsa finally became a real threat to oil and ICE vehicle interests ... these mofos go to war over oil ... so this threat is real ...and very concerning

however there may be a silver lining to this at Giga Berlin .. things like this can bring companies together .. early in my career my company was impacted by the first attack on the World Trade Center in 1993 .. we had significant damage to our network ... this event changed our culture in a long term positive way it brought us all closer together ...this may energize the Berlin team to outperform and show the world what they are made of...

-Big Time

I did the same last year after hodling for so long. Ironically I sold at $178 just before the huge rise up to $262 two weeks later. Felt horrible but I had to close on the home. Then I look at the price today and say.. eh. Still have 50% position from where I was. Will continue to hold until next ATH.