Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My belief is that the van will be based on CT rather than gen 3.

Not a van, but I think something like this could be a hit. And not require extensive retooling or new engineering.

53575748097_f1d1e6f9f2_z.jpg

I could see one of these a a supplement to our ICE tow vehicle, not a replacement.

Hello Everyone! Major Announcement from Big Time.

Its with a semi-heavy heart that this afternoon I sold 33% of my TSLA stock. Please don't be sad,mad, or shocked!

The funds will be entirely used in the purchase my home which has been the plan since 2015 when I first got invested in TSLA and Solar City.

I am semi-upset with myself for the timing and the price that I sold at. It could have been so much more but it also could have been so much worse if I was forced to selling when the stock was around 100. Ive learned that you cant time things 99% of the time..., no one can....and I think I have done pretty darn good considering this was my first real investment.

I remember being paid $13 dollars an hour.. sitting while working and watching the TSLA ticker.... nearly ten years ago, not knowing that it would be years before the Model 3 ramp would put Tesla on the map. I invested every dollar that I could spare, which wasn't much when your battling a drug and alcohol problem. I was victorious in that battle, and the Tesla vision became more and more obvious. The following years I would continue to invest all the way to my last single share buy in March of 2023.

When I speak to people now a days about my TSLA holdings they say "You Have How Many Shares?!?!" Not bad for a kid who used to sleep in parking garages in the Minnesota winters!

To my bank who denied my first mortgage attempt after being a customer since 1993 "F&$% YOU" I DON'T NEED YOU!
To my friends who doubted me "#&$% YOU"
To Gordon Johnson "#&$% YOU"
To Tim Seymore "#&$% YOU"
To Ross Gerber babyfood "#&$% YOU"
To Ford and GM "#&$% YOU"

Paying 100% cash for my first home!

I want to thank all the people here, all the friends, all the bulls, all the mods, and all the Tesla and TSLA supporters around the world.

I still retain a large nest egg of shares, which will be staying put for the foreseeable future.

Looking forward to Tesla Energy, Tesla AI, Tesla Gen 3, Optimus Bot.

I have felt a little venerable in the stock and with this deadline of mine looming, I had to take action and do whats best for my significant other and I. The Berlin news and political cycle has my head beating against the wall... and I reluctantly convinced myself(perhaps incorrectly) about short term price movements in TSLA over the next P&D and ER. This couldn't come at a more pivotal time for me, so thank you all for listening and understanding where I am at.

Love you all! Looking forward to a TMC meet up down the road.
Appreciate ALL of the knowledge members have posted here.
Appreciate all of your time and thoughtful postings. You know who you are. You are loved.

I wont be disappearing, so don't celebrate too soon
-Big Time
Dude,
OT
@Big Time
Pachelbel in D on _Tesla_ coils
:) :cool:

Yes, that is great for the mission, and for future sales...

Short term there is a hit to revenues from used sales. (Only a small part of the overall picture).

Used priced reductions are primarily driven by:-
  1. Reductions in new car prices.
  2. Higher production volumes.
  3. Existing Tesla owners trading up to a new model.
  4. The used supply / demand balance..
  5. Post covid new car prices spike to very high levels, and the chip shortage meant a downturn in production volumes which kept used prices high,
  6. A slow down in vehicle demand across the board in China, which has triggered an aggressive price war. (See point 1.)
As an existing Model 3 owner an upgrade to the latest model is tempting, but I always keep new cars for at least 10 years.

Anyone leasing often can't buy the car at the end of the lease, but with the improvements in the new model, very few would prefer to keep the old car.

I think you are misunderstanding. There is a car demand market in aggregate, it isn't split into used / new with no relationship. Drop in demand for used cars relates to demand for new models as well. If a 1 year old car drops $5k in price, people will increasingly select it over a new car of the same model if the new price doesn't change. Sure if a company decides to cut new prices for no reason, this would also skew the used market, but that is rarely the case.

The big hint here is that used Teslas started dropping in price in the 2nd half of 2022, well before Tesla cut prices. @Troy indicate order flow as dropping, so this matches that new Teslas were also seeing a demand drop. Tesla simply just decided not to adjust prices in real-time, and wait for a massive cut in Q1 2023.

Production volumes aren't that much higher than a year ago, that should have some effect but the +$10k drop in value just in the past year (not even counting 2022 massive decline).

This is pure and simple a indicator that demand for EVs has weakened. It's not just Teslas, other EVs that can be tracked (like Polestar) show a similar pattern.

Gene Munster on FSD potential... a bit disappointing. Gene is projecting a 20% increase in net income in 2027 based on FSD adoption, if Telsa lowers the FSD price by half.

Here's the link:

Thoughts? My thoughts below.

FSD's value varies depending on use. FSD for consumers is currently priced at $ 12,000 for the life time of the vehicle. As FSD improves, which seems very likely with V12 and the neural net, commercial uses will spring up. What is to prevent Tesla or an individual operator from forming a fleet to challenge Waymo. The FSD for those cars will be priced at multiples of the consumer use. Perhaps even $ 12,000 a year. Elon has lately started to call the next gen cars robotaxis again. I hope plans are in place to put togehter a Tesla robotaxi fleet. Waymo has infrastructure to have humans overseeing the cars. Tesla can do the same and may need to for regulators. The huge advantage for Tesla is 3 fold. One, cost of the car. $ 25,000 vs $ 150,000. Two, much larger market due to no geofencing. Three, Tesla FSD is able to use the highway and that extends possible use cases of the service.

A larger market is commercial trucking. How much is FSD worth for trucking? $ 20,000 per year? Even with human supervision and human end point helpers over a fleet, that is a cost changer for the industry.
My assumptions (as worthless as anyone's) about FSD are more like $1000 at time of purchase and a starting subscription of $200/yr. However, I am also assuming 50%+ of all vehicles license this from Tesla. It isn't insane amounts of revenue ultimately, but it is still billions of dollars in recurring, very high margin revenue with a long runway for growth as more and more cars buy/license and stay on the road for a decade+ (note: I think average age of a car on the road on the U.S. is around 12 years old now).

Reactions: kanweg and AZRI11
I think you are misunderstanding. There is a car demand market in aggregate, it isn't split into used / new with no relationship. Drop in demand for used cars relates to demand for new models as well. If a 1 year old car drops $5k in price, people will increasingly select it over a new car of the same model if the new price doesn't change. Sure if a company decides to cut new prices for no reason, this would also skew the used market, but that is rarely the case.

The big hint here is that used Teslas started dropping in price in the 2nd half of 2022, well before Tesla cut prices. @Troy indicate order flow as dropping, so this matches that new Teslas were also seeing a demand drop. Tesla simply just decided not to adjust prices in real-time, and wait for a massive cut in Q1 2023.

Production volumes aren't that much higher than a year ago, that should have some effect but the +$10k drop in value just in the past year (not even counting 2022 massive decline).

This is pure and simple a indicator that demand for EVs has weakened. It's not just Teslas, other EVs that can be tracked (like Polestar) show a similar pattern.

Wouldn't "demand" be as much a function of how many of the used EVs have sold as it would be based on this change in price?

Over the same period, does the amount of time a Tesla sits on the lot waiting for a buyer grow, decline, or remain constant as the prices are reduced?

If the sales of used Tesla vehicles were static or increasing how would this affect a demand problem theory?

How does Tesla used car sales compare to other ICE and EV used car sales over the same period?

Is the percentage of Tesla used sales increasing or decreasing compared to others?

Could there be macro factors unaccounted for that have influenced this quick assertion of there being a demand issue for Tesla?

Was this tool used in formulating your assessment?

71-ybkVck6L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Wouldn't "demand" be as much a function of how many of the used EVs have sold as it would be based on this change in price?

Over the same period, does the amount of time a Tesla sits on the lot waiting for a buyer grow, decline, or remain constant as the prices are reduced?

If the sales of used Tesla vehicles were static or increasing how would this affect a demand problem theory?

How does Tesla used car sales compare to other ICE and EV used car sales over the same period?

Is the percentage of Tesla used sales increasing or decreasing compared to others?

Could there be macro factors unaccounted for that have influenced this quick assertion of there being a demand issue for Tesla?

Was this tool used in formulating your assessment?

71-ybkVck6L._AC_SX522_.jpg
Cup half full....or half empty.
People see what they want.

Some are consistent in "finding" evidence to support their viewpoint.

This is pure and simple an indicator that demand for EVs has weakened. It's not just Teslas, other EVs that can be tracked (like Polestar) show a similar pattern.
I’m not sure there is a drop in demand. It’s just that the initial market has been filled. It’s conquest sales now- a different market from the early adopter market. The demand for cars is there, however Tesla has to compete for customers with different priorities. Tesla has some weakness in that market, including number of fueling stations in some areas, distrust of new technologies, resistance to brand change, etc. Reducing price is the easiest way to overcome some of these, but it is harder slogging from now on.

Gene Munster on FSD potential... a bit disappointing. Gene is projecting a 20% increase in net income in 2027 based on FSD adoption, if Telsa lowers the FSD price by half.

Here's the link:

Thoughts? My thoughts below.

FSD's value varies depending on use. FSD for consumers is currently priced at $ 12,000 for the life time of the vehicle. As FSD improves, which seems very likely with V12 and the neural net, commercial uses will spring up. What is to prevent Tesla or an individual operator from forming a fleet to challenge Waymo. The FSD for those cars will be priced at multiples of the consumer use. Perhaps even $ 12,000 a year. Elon has lately started to call the next gen cars robotaxis again. I hope plans are in place to put togehter a Tesla robotaxi fleet. Waymo has infrastructure to have humans overseeing the cars. Tesla can do the same and may need to for regulators. The huge advantage for Tesla is 3 fold. One, cost of the car. $ 25,000 vs $ 150,000. Two, much larger market due to no geofencing. Three, Tesla FSD is able to use the highway and that extends possible use cases of the service.

A larger market is commercial trucking. How much is FSD worth for trucking? $ 20,000 per year? Even with human supervision and human end point helpers over a fleet, that is a cost changer for the industry.
Good video.

To me the real question is how will Tesla transition to a Robo taxi model. I used to think it would be better to do this sooner with human drivers but it is probably best they have held off as this model would be a loosing proposition financially. To me there is a lot to learn and be sorted out for Robo taxi besides automated driving. It is strictly 3rd part management or will Tesla do this on its own? It is going to need a lot of infrastructure (charging, etc.) and logistical support. Nothing like solving FSD, but it would be nice to understand the strategy here even if they are far from implementation.

Why are those Cybertrucks just sitting all over the place instead of getting shipped???

From watching Joe's videos this appears to indicate that production is growing and the number of vehicles being processed is rising. This can give the impression that they are just sitting there.

They are first parked at the final checkout lot on the East side of the factory. I don't think they are sitting there for long, only until they can be staged for loading on transport trucks at the logistic lot across the highway.

Once the tunnel under the highway is complete things should flow better, as all of the final checkout and logistics will eventually be done across the highway.

I love these daily updates from the electricity supplier of Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg ;)

Two new high-voltage gantries fully assembled - visible construction progress achieved thanks to 3-shift system

Following the arrival of extensive materials, in particular scaffolding and numerous high-voltage technology components, at the construction site near Steinfurt yesterday (Friday), the construction and assembly of two impressive high-voltage gantries began immediately after delivery. As the entire construction site is being worked on in a 3-shift system, significant progress has already been made in assembly and civil engineering by this morning. Both portals are a load-bearing component for the connection between the underground cable system and the overhead line system braced to the pylon. They consist of massive foundations and elaborate steel lattice structures, which were assembled on site by hand by specialized technicians (see picture).
In addition to the complex assembly work, the civil engineering work has now also been completed, meaning that the underground cable systems have already been fully exposed and prepared for connection to the overhead line, which is braced by the pylon.
Another complicating factor is that water is entering the construction site due to the damp ground conditions. This is being countered with continuous drainage.
The police are on site with teams and emergency vehicles and patrol the area regularly.

Translated with deepL.com (free version)
0903_Steinfurt_Bild 1.jpeg

I love these daily updates from the electricity supplier of Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg ;)

Two new high-voltage gantries fully assembled - visible construction progress achieved thanks to 3-shift system

Following the arrival of extensive materials, in particular scaffolding and numerous high-voltage technology components, at the construction site near Steinfurt yesterday (Friday), the construction and assembly of two impressive high-voltage gantries began immediately after delivery. As the entire construction site is being worked on in a 3-shift system, significant progress has already been made in assembly and civil engineering by this morning. Both portals are a load-bearing component for the connection between the underground cable system and the overhead line system braced to the pylon. They consist of massive foundations and elaborate steel lattice structures, which were assembled on site by hand by specialized technicians (see picture).
In addition to the complex assembly work, the civil engineering work has now also been completed, meaning that the underground cable systems have already been fully exposed and prepared for connection to the overhead line, which is braced by the pylon.
Another complicating factor is that water is entering the construction site due to the damp ground conditions. This is being countered with continuous drainage.
The police are on site with teams and emergency vehicles and patrol the area regularly.

Translated with deepL.com (free version)
View attachment 1026121
That was fast! (Then again, Rock Concerts, and they haven't even hung the speakers or overhead lights yet.)

So cables coming from ground to a horizontal overhead run explains the (what looks like) concrete blocks on the old one and likely why they didn't just splice new cable in. Darn thing is under extreme tension and a fire may have compromise some structural properties.

So by Monday then? 🙏

Any of you guys subscribing to FSD or know the details?

If you subscribe - is it for any car your account drive or any driver on a particular car? Or just you on a particular car?
It’s for the car. When I hop in my wife’s Tesla it’s not there even though it has all my settings. I look forward to unsubscribing when she gets her foundation cybertruck.

It is relevant to understand that there are many factors other than nominal purchase prive that influenvleo buying behavior and new vs used. There is a notion commonly held that price is the primary factor in elasticity of demand. That assumption is false. Affordability is, absolutely, a key definition for Total Addressable Market (TAM).Within TAM there is a vast array of factors, some related to initial price, some related to expectation of operating economy, so having nothing to do with any definition of cost.

Oversimplifying these factors drives otherwise intelligent people into price competition. That drives once-premium brands such as, say, Ralph Lauren to lose the luxury market.

A brand can have multiple price and position differences for essentially identical core products. Chevrolet Suburban/Cadillac Escalade is prototypical. Tesla can and should continue category diversification.The new French Model Y delivery van vs Model Y Performance is beginning to explore wider choices. These are entirely different than range choices.

As Tesla expand such options wider choices that preserve high margins but deliver significant buyer value will become more prevalent. The China-only Long Wheelbase Model 3 is another example of a market segment Mercedes Benz once owned in Lebanon/Syria/Egypt etc. as well as China, for chauffeur-driven and intercity taxi markets. Proliferation of such segment-specific variants can enable Tesla to rapidly expand specific segments, replicating global appeal of, for example, Toyota Corolla, luxury to econobox to pocket rocket all on the same platform.

Such approaches enable higher margins and Word of Mouth to expand markets without wasting promotional reserves. Tesla has been moving in this direction, almost invisible outside the target markets.

Really the future is not so bleak as many suggest, nearly always by people who are unaware of automotive markets, energy utility markets, stationary storage commercially, much less manufacturing and logistics, essentially zero about implications of direct vs dealer sales.

When reviewing the entire Tesla business model vsnthatnif any given competitor almost any competent financial analyst can understand what approach yields superior free cash flow. By definition, such an analyst can look far beyond a GAAP P&L.

No question that this sort of work is irrelevant to speculators who flitter about generating outsized profits for market intermediaries, and reduced carrying costs for investors ready to lend shares to those speculators.