Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting piece:

Screenshot_2024-03-14-13-02-27-100_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

On the 25th February 2024, CNN published a piece on electric vehicles explaining that sales in the United States, which are trending upward and reached record levels in 2023, are not as high as analysts once predicted they’d be. The next day, a new headline appeared above the article that radically altered the main takeaway of the story without any new information added.

Here are the two headlines, just a day apart.

To support the new, negative framing, CNN also added a line to the piece: 'But the EV market has nevertheless become a major disappointment.' The main message of the article was that although some automakers are currently scaling back production, EV sales are still up 40% from the same quarter a year before and hit a record last year. However, with the new changes, the emphasis shifted to the disappointment arising from the mismatch of expectations and reality.

The news is supposed to tell us what's happening in the world. It doesn't. It tries as hard as it can to find something that's going wrong, even when things are going right.

Everyday Astronaut on YouTube has a great live stream of the launch right now. He does good coverage.

Felix on "What About It" channel and Todd's above are both good.

Also, Spacex.com will have live coverage link on X a half hour before launch, which has been delayed until after 0800 CDT due to boats in the exclusion zone.

Last edited:
Just go to spacex.com! It will take you where you need to go. It's funny in this day and age that people go straight to youtube or wherever instead of the actual source first.

Linky, currently shows going live at 0737 52 CDT

Last edited:
I must say, there will definitely be competition for the Tesla bot. That figure01 bot looks very expensive but also very impressive. Hopefully Tesla can get the AI there. I’m less enthusiastic now about the Teslabot being a windfall for Tesla due to the AI not being there. The folding clothes demo was neat for dexterity but now seems a joke compared to that figure01 video. FSD/robotaxi cannot come soon enough.
It's strange to me that they are showcasing a robot doing things that clearly wont ever be a production robot. Those arms are comical. I may be very deluded but I still percieve tesla to be leading in this field.

Interesting piece:

View attachment 1027820
On the 25th February 2024, CNN published a piece on electric vehicles explaining that sales in the United States, which are trending upward and reached record levels in 2023, are not as high as analysts once predicted they’d be. The next day, a new headline appeared above the article that radically altered the main takeaway of the story without any new information added.

To support the new, negative framing, CNN also added a line to the piece: 'But the EV market has nevertheless become a major disappointment.' The main message of the article was that although some automakers are currently scaling back production, EV sales are still up 40% from the same quarter a year before and hit a record last year. However, with the new changes, the emphasis shifted to the disappointment arising from the mismatch of expectations and reality.

The news is supposed to tell us what's happening in the world. It doesn't. It tries as hard as it can to find something that's going wrong, even when things are going right.
All CNN articles - in my experience - launch with multiple headlines that are A/B tested live for most clicks and then eventually just the headline that gets the most clicks persists.

Interesting piece:

View attachment 1027820

Bad news gets more clicks.

I got scammed into watching a “live” SpaceX YouTube video of the launch last night. Went right up to seconds before launch and turned into Musk hawking crypto. I think it’s still up, so beware.
PSA, these pop up all the time and I've reported >100 over the past ~3 years.

Interesting piece:

View attachment 1027820

Tesla needs to educate the public on EV advantages, safety,
Performance etc.. to offset that false narrative.

False narrative that incumbents are pedaling as they can’t sell
Their pile of garbage EVs.

Competition is coming, but not with 4-wheel! BYD AWD-model, is, erm, not AWD...

"BYD Seal in four-wheel drive version turns out to have substandard four-wheel drive. In our test, two different models of Seal AWD drive only the rear wheels. The front wheels never intervene to get the car out of the situation." (Google translation)

I don't remember James ever saying that interventions were about to go down rapidly.

What I remember James saying was that Tesla would keep iterating and get there eventually. I think James' tone has changed.

And that makes sense given that Tesla, with massively beefed-up compute, has been able to implement an end-to-end architecture. That's the secret sauce. That's the thing that makes V12 far more likely to make rapid progress we have never seen before.
12.x is a step change which drastically reduces the amount of critical disengagements. But, to dispel the hype...

My tipping point: Build goes to wide release and someone live streams 4+ hours of urban average rideshare length nav points during daylight hours (aka has traffic, VRUs and can easily see what's going on around the vehicle).

Interesting piece:

View attachment 1027820

Strictly, the media tries as hard as it can to find something that makes money. It's our overall preference to read about or watch things that have gone wrong.
If we really preferred good news, they'd be shoving it in our faces.