Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they have a fossil fuel engine?
Yes or No
If Yes, they are _not_ an EV,
==>>by definition <<==.
(P)HEV (P)lug in =>HYBRID<= (meaning HYBRID)
EV _ELECTRIC_

This is quite simple to understand so I'm perplexed at the question after decades.
I also understand the controlled frustration of some of my professors at questions from various students long, long ago after simple and simpler answers

sloppy and imprecise thinkers may defer for various reasons, but that still does not make them correct

oops, just saw Krugerands reply,
@unk45
prob Stutz bearcat for the oldsters
this msg will self destruct

You know the EV in PHEV stands for Electric Vehicle, right?

Personally I see four categories

ICE: Petrol/Diesel
Hybrid: ICE+BEV
BEV: Full battery electric
Fuel Cell: Hydrogen.

Only one of these is the future of passenger vehicles and I think it's BEV. Hybrids were useful to bridge the gap a decade ago but not required anymore as Tesla has demonstrated with their products. ICE will be illegal to sell in the coming years and Fuel Cell is DOA.

Broadly I've seen electric vehicles used for:
1) All xEVs
2) All PEVs
3) BEVs only

(1) and (2) are often used by journalists
(3) is the SAE and purist definition

Personally I prefer to use PEV to refer to all plug-ins and BEV for non-hybrid electric to make it clear.

It was for the imprecise thinker who felt a PHEV should be listed as an EV. A PHEV is neither an EV nor an ICE just as a bearcat is neither a bear nor a cat.
Plus both the bearcat and the Bearcat are endangered, just as PHEV should be. With Toyota and other ICE preservers we might not get rid fo them in the foreseeable future.
NOTE: I understood but could not resist! After all it's the 1st of April.

Plus both the bearcat and the Bearcat are endangered, just as PHEV should be. With Toyota and other ICE preservers we might not get rid fo them in the foreseeable future.
NOTE: I understood but could not resist! After all it's the 1st of April.

I don’t know. There are presently good use scenarios for PHEV’s. Even “fuel” cost. With present supercharger rates it’s arguably cheaper to road trip in a Prius. For most people the advantage still lies with EV over PHEV because we can charge at home. But for those who road trip a lot, depending where they travel (gas price and supercharger price variables) it can certainly be cheaper to travel in a gasser. It will be interesting to see if supercharger rates continue to climb. We are seeing 80 cents per kWh in some places now. (At least for the non tesla EV drivers). I suspect it will be very region dependant.

Reactions: UrsS

And I'm sure you're happy when you ask for a fork and get one of these:

1711984279540.png

I wonder if the recent comment about FSD being close to "feature complete" plays in to this at all...
Possibly, but it isn't currently as it does NOT handle many signs (namely "Road Closed") or dynamic speed limits (namely school zones). But these **should** be trivial relative to what is already in-place.

I look forward to the day that Telsa stops giving quarterly P&D numbers and puts all the forecasters on you tube and X out of business ... the P&D is no longer needed SW, Services and Energy will take the company forward ... i think Apple did this and for one quarter there were a lot of complaints and noise ... now it is accepted ... they still make up FUD but it is completely FUD as far as i can tell

Sitting here minding my own business and there's a call from Fidelity. They have never called me. I figure it is a hoax on the caller ID and let it go. If it is important, they'll leave a message. Which they didn't.

A minute or so later an email comes in from Fidelity from a "planning consultant" who wants to "keep my investing strategy aligned with my financial goals" and I must say that it is very nice to know just how very concerned he is and all. But...

The way I read this is that my account has been flagged for being all TSLA and they want to get me to sell some of it so the "playahs" can scoop up TSLA on the cheap.

There is only one reason for this push. They have come to the conclusion that they would rather have as many TSLA chairs as they can get their grubby little mitts on, and as soon as possible.

It seems apropos they should be calling around looking for fools on April Fools Day, just for the whole stab and twist joy they might get from prying TSLA away from unwary clients.

Am I misunderstanding this, or does this seem about as...

Bullish as...
it can be

HODL

Well, due to what I’ve seen I had to sell a little more

Oh, nothing to do with Tesla, what I saw was my bank account almost empty, so had to do it before P&D, if it goes down I would have to sell more, if it goes up, less harm done now than waiting

Hurts to do it, but no way around, hopefully in the coming months I will be in a position to buy multiples of what I had to sell in this uncertain period
You still have some TSLA shares.

More importantly, you have your health, happiness, and your earning potential. Sometimes, as TSLA investors, or maybe just as humans, we get too fixated on money (and this forum). When I die, I hope my final days are not filled with thoughts of Tesla, not spent on TMC; it's really not what life is all about.

If it's any comfort, I'm kind of in employment limbo. Today I am working on my resumè, giving the headhunter a call to find a bomb job in a new city, and touching up a presentation for this Friday. I'm gonna go swim the length of a Triathalon (0.9 miles) and workout. Tesla has been too much of a distraction. It doesn't give me purpose.

Last edited: