Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not the same and you know it. Stop being purposely obtuse.
Yes a PHEV can be quite similar to an EV. In a study back in 2018 they compared the Chevy Volt to the Nissan Leaf and surprise the average Volt drove more all electric miles than the Leaf. We personally have a Model 3 and we had a Volt and now a RAV4 Prime, because trying to tow our camper, for trips to National Parks and National Forest is VERY challenging. With the RAV4 Prime virtually all trips from home are 100% electric. But if we tow from Tennessee to Quebec we can without issue. If the goal is to reduce fossil fuel use a plug-in hybrid can be an important tool in our bag.

Yes a PHEV can be quite similar to an EV. In a study back in 2018 they compared the Chevy Volt to the Nissan Leaf and surprise the average Volt drove more all electric miles than the Leaf. We personally have a Model 3 and we had a Volt and now a RAV4 Prime, because trying to tow our camper, for trips to National Parks and National Forest is VERY challenging. With the RAV4 Prime virtually all trips from home are 100% electric. But if we tow from Tennessee to Quebec we can without issue. If the goal is to reduce fossil fuel use a plug-in hybrid can be an important tool in our bag.
Context.

In this case the reference is to BYD not separately listing out their Q1 sales and then comparing their sales of PHEV AND EV against Tesla’s sales of just EVs and insinuating it’s an apples to apples comparison. It is not.

The poster is being disingenuous at best. It’s stunts like this that give him the reputation he has here, which isn’t glowing. It makes his motives highly suspicious. Then he throws in the odd positive/reasonable/logical post to cover up the more numerous posts like the one that started ‘this’ drama. I wouldn’t trust this guy if you paid me in a crap ton of TSLA.

Picked up new MYLR on March 20 from the Loveland CO location. Price was $46,540. We bought partly on assumption that we were getting a local low for pricing and Tesla would be increasing prices by $1,000 on April 1. Looked at prices today out of curiosity, and our exact configuration at the same location is listed for $46,400. So, instead of increasing prices by $1,000 Tesla reduced the price by $140.

Do I still love the vehicle? Yes. Are prices still historically low? Yes. Is $1,000 going to break me? No

However, I do think Tesla loses credibility when they don’t follow through on these pricing pronouncements. Sure, legally Tesla can make the price anything they want, whenever they want, but to not increase the price by $1k for at least a few days is poor optics.

The fact that Tesla couldn’t or wouldn’t follow through on the price increase also makes me worry about demand in that we haven’t reached a bottom on pricing yet as suggested by the price increase announcement.

Sitting here minding my own business and there's a call from Fidelity. They have never called me. I figure it is a hoax on the caller ID and let it go. If it is important, they'll leave a message. Which they didn't.

A minute or so later an email comes in from Fidelity from a "planning consultant" who wants to "keep my investing strategy aligned with my financial goals" and I must say that it is very nice to know just how very concerned he is and all. But...

The way I read this is that my account has been flagged for being all TSLA and they want to get me to sell some of it so the "playahs" can scoop up TSLA on the cheap.

There is only one reason for this push. They have come to the conclusion that they would rather have as many TSLA chairs as they can get their grubby little mitts on, and as soon as possible.

It seems apropos they should be calling around looking for fools on April Fools Day, just for the whole stab and twist joy they might get from prying TSLA away from unwary clients.

Am I misunderstanding this, or does this seem about as...

Bullish as...
it can be

HODL
Just got a call from Fidelity as well....did not answer.....waiting on email 🤣

Context.

In this case the reference is to BYD not separately listing out their Q1 sales and then comparing their sales of PHEV AND EV against Tesla’s sales of just EVs and insinuating it’s an apples to apples comparison. It is not.

The poster is being disingenuous at best. It’s stunts like this that give him the reputation he has here, which isn’t glowing. It makes his motives highly suspicious. Then he throws in the odd positive/reasonable/logical post to cover up the more numerous posts like the one that started ‘this’ drama. I wouldn’t trust this guy if you paid me in a crap ton of TSLA.

Lol

This started bc some rando on Twitter said Tesla is retaking the EV crown. They could have said BEV, which is very likely to be accurate, but did not. I pointed it out - many publications lump PHEVs and BEVs together as EVs. So I was trying to clarify that.

Anyway, not sure why you don't like my posts, unless you just dislike facts.

Picked up new MYLR on March 20 from the Loveland CO location. Price was $46,540. We bought partly on assumption that we were getting a local low for pricing and Tesla would be increasing prices by $1,000 on April 1. Looked at prices today out of curiosity, and our exact configuration at the same location is listed for $46,400. So, instead of increasing prices by $1,000 Tesla reduced the price by $140.

Do I still love the vehicle? Yes. Are prices still historically low? Yes. Is $1,000 going to break me? No

However, I do think Tesla loses credibility when they don’t follow through on these pricing pronouncements. Sure, legally Tesla can make the price anything they want, whenever they want, but to not increase the price by $1k for at least a few days is poor optics.

The fact that Tesla couldn’t or wouldn’t follow through on the price increase also makes me worry about demand in that we haven’t reached a bottom on pricing yet as suggested by the price increase announcement.

If you're looking at current inventory, then it's anyone's guess as to what will be cheaper at any given moment. Tesla stated that they would incrase prices on April 1st, and they did.

On March 20th, when you purchased an inventory model Y, you could order a model Y (not from inventory) starting from $43,990. Today, if you try to order a Model Y (not from inventory), it starts from $44,990:

1711990685345.png

You still have some TSLA shares.

More importantly, you have your health, happiness, and your earning potential. Sometimes, as TSLA investors, or maybe just as humans, we get too fixated on money (and this forum). When I die, I hope my final days are not filled with thoughts of Tesla, not spent on TMC; it's really not what life is all about.

If it's any comfort, I'm kind of in employment limbo. Today I am working on my resumè, giving the headhunter a call to find a bomb job in a new city, and touching up a presentation for this Friday. I'm gonna go swim the length of a Triathalon (0.9 miles) and workout. Tesla has been too much of a distraction. It doesn't give me purpose.

Thanks man, really helps to see that there are others in the same situation

And that is the the temporary thing, spending money to position myself somewhere I have much higher chances of finding a job that I really love to do, money is always nice but secondary, or not even that. I need purpose as you said, give me 10M today and tell I have to just chill around the world for the rest of my life and I would probably pay a visit to the nearest bridge pretty soon

Past few months I worked a lot on my CV, I think it's pretty good, lost count of how many revisions so far, even got some professional help to write it better since It's a big weak point of mine

Now it's just a waiting game since it's out of my hands

Sitting here minding my own business and there's a call from Fidelity. They have never called me. I figure it is a hoax on the caller ID and let it go. If it is important, they'll leave a message. Which they didn't.

A minute or so later an email comes in from Fidelity from a "planning consultant" who wants to "keep my investing strategy aligned with my financial goals" and I must say that it is very nice to know just how very concerned he is and all. But...

The way I read this is that my account has been flagged for being all TSLA and they want to get me to sell some of it so the "playahs" can scoop up TSLA on the cheap.

There is only one reason for this push. They have come to the conclusion that they would rather have as many TSLA chairs as they can get their grubby little mitts on, and as soon as possible.

It seems apropos they should be calling around looking for fools on April Fools Day, just for the whole stab and twist joy they might get from prying TSLA away from unwary clients.

Am I misunderstanding this, or does this seem about as...

Bullish as...
it can be

HODL
Fidelity has done the same to me multiple times, recently (they are quite persistent). 🙄

Possibly, but it isn't currently as it does NOT handle many signs (namely "Road Closed") or dynamic speed limits (namely school zones). But these **should** be trivial relative to what is already in-place.

I assume this is one of the scenarios I mentioned a bit back and they feel the sign recognition/reading feature is there, and they just now need to finish training on those other instances...

If you're looking at current inventory, then it's anyone's guess as to what will be cheaper at any given moment. Tesla stated that they would incrase prices on April 1st, and they did.

On March 20th, when you purchased an inventory model Y, you could order a model Y (not from inventory) starting from $43,990. Today, if you try to order a Model Y (not from inventory), it starts from $44,990:

View attachment 1034254
Okay, I get that distinction, though I don’t recall Tesla making that distinction when the announcement was posted to the website. Maybe they did. Regardless, seems odd to me why prices on inventory vehicles wouldn’t go up by $1,000 as well from March 31 to April 1. To not increase prices on inventory vehicles does go against the narrative that the price increase signified a bottom to the drop in demand and thus price reductions going forward. I do feel better knowing that Tesla did at least increase prices for custom order new vehicles.

Reactions: JusRelax
Lol

This started bc some rando on Twitter said Tesla is retaking the EV crown. They could have said BEV, which is very likely to be accurate, but did not. I pointed it out - many publications lump PHEVs and BEVs together as EVs. So I was trying to clarify that.

Anyway, not sure why you don't like my posts, unless you just dislike facts.
You actually expect people to believe that’s what you were doing? Given your follow up post about PHEVs and EVs being the same? 🙄

I didn’t say I didn’t like your posts. I love your posts as they reveal who you are and why you are here.

Okay, I get that distinction, though I don’t recall Tesla making that distinction when the announcement was posted to the website. Maybe they did. Regardless, seems odd to me why prices on inventory vehicles wouldn’t go up by $1,000 as well from March 31 to April 1. To not increase prices on inventory vehicles does go against the narrative that the price increase signified a bottom to the drop in demand and thus price reductions going forward. I do feel better knowing that Tesla did at least increase prices for custom order new vehicles.
It’s always been this way, you just didn’t know it.

Just for fun I decided to try public CCS chargers, didn't think it would be as bad as internet makes it to be, came home empty charged

Three chargers nearby, Ionity had one car charging, one charger totally dead, another with the screen frozen and the last that should be working, but no luck with multiple cards and tries, family that was there let me know that others tried to charge without success

Other two were BeCharge, you can only charge with their membership and having their own card or app maybe, couldn't figure it out since their site is a slow mess and I think the app isn't available in my App Store, so nothing I could do

If it's always like that Supercharger network will make big bucks as EV market grows

I have no issue with people using different classes of vehicles in order to meet their needs while reducing overall fuel consumption.

I have an issue with defining an object by its usage rather than its architecture.

An ICE burns fuel (typically hydrocarbon fossil fuels) in an it's engine.

A hybrid has multiple powerplants utilizing multipl fuels/sources of energy.

An EV uses electricity to power an electric motor. Typically stored in batteries, and can be called a BEV (to differentiate from FCEV, below)

A Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (FCEV) uses a fuel (often hydrogen) to generate electricity to run an electric motor.

Simple.

But to call a Hybrid an EV is just as misleading as calling an airplane a glider if you often turn off the engine for landings. Usage does not dictate design.

And anything "Partially Zero..." is just plain dumb.

(Hard to believe this same argument is happening over a decade later)

you can only charge with their membership and having their own card or app maybe, couldn't figure it out since their site is a slow mess and I think the app isn't available in my App Store, so nothing I could do

This was my experience driving around in southern Europe a few years back. Language barriers and all kinds of other issues. Sad to hear it hasn't improved much. 🤷‍♀️ I ended up only using superchargers and Tesla destination chargers.

You still have some TSLA shares.

More importantly, you have your health, happiness, and your earning potential. Sometimes, as TSLA investors, or maybe just as humans, we get too fixated on money (and this forum). When I die, I hope my final days are not filled with thoughts of Tesla, not spent on TMC; it's really not what life is all about.

If it's any comfort, I'm kind of in employment limbo. Today I am working on my resumè, giving the headhunter a call to find a bomb job in a new city, and touching up a presentation for this Friday. I'm gonna go swim the length of a Triathalon (0.9 miles) and workout. Tesla has been too much of a distraction. It doesn't give me purpose.

Just some perspective from another person on this forum.

TSLA isn't about attaining a "bag" and living a great life like most stocks on the public markets. That's a by product of owning the stock for me. The primary reason that I, and a lot of others, got into Tesla and TSLA was backing an effort that was ensuring civilization is sustainable due to incoming man-made climate change. That hasn't been resolved. In fact, in a lot of ways, civilization is getting worse and one of the interesting current subplots is that so many are becoming greedy because they've finally made money compared to any other generation in human history...without really earning it through strife/pain/suffering for the long haul like past generations had to and, many, still failed at.

I'll be happy living a great life without the spectre of climate change around.

Last edited:
Do they have a fossil fuel engine?
Yes or No
If Yes, they are _not_ an EV,
==>>by definition <<==.
(P)HEV (P)lug in =>HYBRID<= (meaning HYBRID)
EV _ELECTRIC_

This is quite simple to understand so I'm perplexed at the question after decades.
I also understand the controlled frustration of some of my professors at questions from various students long, long ago after simple and simpler answers

sloppy and imprecise thinkers may defer for various reasons, but that still does not make them correct

oops, just saw Krugerands reply,
@unk45
prob Stutz bearcat for the oldsters
this msg will self destruct
This confusion allowed the MSM to count ALL of the vehicles BYD produced in their comparison to Tesla. I.e. all vehicles include hybrids (which account for 1/2 of the NEVs), forklifts , buses, etc. Of course Tesla "took back the lead" in BEVs. They never lost it.