Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, FSD came into my dream and healed my trauma/anxiety this afternoon.
From the first day I got my driver license, I quite often dream (during sleeping) that, I am driving but either sit too low and cannot see the front well, or, the brake is so low (to the extent that there is an underground room in the car, you know, it is a dream, no logic) that I cannot reach. So, in the dream, I hit things a lot and break my car very badly. Or for some reason I am in the passenger seat or the rear seats and the car is moving.

After testing FSD V12.3 five times, this afternoon as I took a nap, I dreamed that for some reason I was fighting/eating/arguing with someone in my car and I could not control the car. Then in the dream, I managed to engage FSD, let the car drive itself, and went back to fight with the other person.

When I woke up, I was amazed that I didn't have the anxiety and tiredness I used to have after this kind of dream.

Toast to FSD to save TSLA and my anxiety.

Last edited:
Apologies again:
1712294008134.png

I’m seeing reports that FSD transfers are in play again for Q2, for all four models (sans Cybertruck). Intriguing, esp with the Model 3 Ludicrous seemingly about to hit.

Have not found a definitive from-Tesla source on this yet, though.
Ah yes FSD transfer, the one-time amnesty from 2Q23 so make sure you lock in your orders in Q3 or else because won't be happening again except for every single quarter since then

Sasha argues that much of what companies are doing with AI today is just smoke and mirrors. Witness what happened with how Amazon's "Just Walk Out" system was actually using 1,000 humans in India because the AI didn't work very well.

He doesn't mention it, but we all know the same kind of thing was happening with Cruise. It turns out that every drive was remotely monitored and controlled by humans.

Sasha points out that even ChatGPT is often just reformatting information from conventionally-searched web sites.

I wonder how long will it be before the street realizes that Tesla's AI is the one that's not only real-world --- it's real.

Sasha argues that much of what companies are doing with AI today is just smoke and mirrors. Witness what happened with how Amazon's "Just Walk Out" system was actually using 1,000 humans in India because the AI didn't work very well.

He doesn't mention it, but we all know the same kind of thing was happening with Cruise. It turns out that every drive was remotely monitored and controlled by humans.

Sasha points out that even ChatGPT is often just reformatting information from conventionally-searched web sites.

I wonder how long will it be before the street realizes that Tesla's AI is the one that's not only real-world --- it's real.

Gojo believes FSD is not AI
.. some how Elon and his elves are driving the car ;) ;)

Keep in mind that these things can take like a year before Tesla recognises this as sold. We may be looking at Q1 2025 revenue here.
My message was confusing: I'm much more interested in the rate of production and installation than effective revenue. Starting Q2 with 1.7GWh in transit bodes very well.

Saw an article in the NY Times today about an ETF that holds shares of startup tech companies like Stripe and SpaceX. I didn't see a mention of this in the SpaceX thread, so I posted a link to the NY Times story. The ticker symbol is DXYZ. Should have seen this sooner as I follow space stuff too. Apologies if this has already been mentioned upthread, been pretty busy lately...

Yes. Only something like 40% of the revenue is recognized in the near term and the remaining is either accounted for as Deferred Reveue or Unsatisfied Performance Obligations, as the name implies the Megapack project must perform to meet certain benchmarks before the remaining revenue hits.
Yes. Further, depending on the project, especially very large ones (that are rapidly increasing), the requirement for performance bonds with payment terms also linked to project performance often have much less than 40%, often 20% or so, up front. Depending on those highly variable terms, sometimes progress payments are purely marginal cost-linked and the final payment can often be staged during actual deployment. Because of the increasing deployment size those terms inevitably become more variable.

As a rough rule, depending on specific accounting preferences in part, Deferred Revenue includes the entire paid balance of the entire project price, Unsatisfied Performance Obligations, when used, tend to refer to the cost basis of the project. During all the large projects i have seen there has been a regular classification debate on large project performance. IME, private companies (eg Bechtel) and public companies tend to differ somewhat in accounting, primarily because for private companies periodic earnings reports are irrelevant but cash flow is paramount.

Having helped issue performance bonds for some huge (i.e. >$1 billion) private and public company projects, albeit a long time ago, I have an acute awareness of the massive effect such status has on accounting policy and disclosure.

Tesla is only now reaching the point of several coexisting huge projects. At some point in number of coexisting projects the variability in P&L and recorded performance liability will smooth. Despite that energy projects specifically tend to have customized schedules to adapt to reporting requirements fo the large customers. Those factors mean we will continue to have 'lumpiness' in TE. Even so, once materiality is unquestioned we will have enough data to decode the seeming 'lumpiness'. That said, now there are numerous established utility and large commercial suppliers that have dealt with such issues for decades. Including the foregoing Bechtel, Siemens, Vestas (wind only), General Electric, CATL, BYD etc are a few of the major companies involved in these projects. That list excludes a large number fo major competitors but does illustrate that this field now has a formidable combination of historically important builders and suppliers to energy projects with others that serve only renewables.

Once again, maybe 'too much information' in the general investment thread. I don't think so since Tesla Energy has now surpassed the long-awaited materiality. As Elon has said this will surpass automotive revenue 'soon' but probably will tend towards lower margins.

The last paragraph is crucial. Several of us are forecasting higher margins, Apple-like, for Tesla Energy. "Ain't gonna happen!" Margins will be quite respectable but not free of competition. nearly every major utility provider is working on these projects now. Those which aren't are trying to. Even traditional wholesale equipment providers to utilities, like WEG are entering the fray. Every large scale power plant contractor is doing this field today! Every battery provider, including some exotics are in this market one way or many ways.

Finally, as Tesla says on their own Tesla Energy site:
"A giant battery designed to change the way we power the world—with clean energy, at an enormous scale." and:

>65 countries, giant deployments. Exciting, profitable, complex, accountants dream!
In short, we should not obsess about quarterly car sales and production. There is a much larger market here now. of course, it is not consumer-based so is easy to ignore.

Saw an article in the NY Times today about an ETF that holds shares of startup tech companies like Stripe and SpaceX. I didn't see a mention of this in the SpaceX thread, so I posted a link to the NY Times story. The ticker symbol is DXYZ. Should have seen this sooner as I follow space stuff too. Apologies if this has already been mentioned upthread, been pretty busy lately...

Hilarious, SpaceX as a startup!

Ah yes FSD transfer, the one-time amnesty from 2Q23 so make sure you lock in your orders in Q3 or else because won't be happening again except for every single quarter since then

You’re being intellectually dishonest. Come on. Are you that stuck in the ‘I must find the negative, anti-angle to everything Tesla related’ that you don’t see the difference? That you don’t comprehend that nothing is static, that circumstances can change literally overnight?

You should know very well that FSD has changed considerably since then. If you don’t know that, then know that commenting or having an opinion about something you’re not well-versed in is not a glowing human trait.

You also should know where this company is headed. They’ve made it quite clear - FSD or bust!

You don’t believe it? You don’t believe FSD will or can happen? Then you know what to do. But for the record, being disingenuous isn’t the answer to the question.

so whats caused the 40% rise today?

• Funny
Reactions: ShareLofty

Everyone knew FSD transfers would continue to boost sales. The free SC miles and likely other incentives to move inventory like we saw last Quarter (free color options on inventory vehicles, interior or exterior) will also come out. The FSD transfers will continue until sales are up.

It's better for the stock/company than huge price cuts.

Reactions: 30seconds and Drax7

Makes sense, sales catalyst . Are you implying they are desperate for sales.
shame on me for being fooled by Elon again and buying a new X for the one-time FSD amnesty xfer
If you got hw4, that could be an added value.

Reactions: GatorMeat
FSD Deals

FSD licensing

1. Allow OEM to integrate it into any car for free or at cost. Car owner pays for FSD license

2. Active safety & basics comes free

3. Leverage Supercharger deals. Offer same pricing as Tesla cars for EVs that integrate FSD hardware & share data

Musk on X says happy with those terms
I wonder if Tesla will limit FSD licensing to EVs, or if Tesla is interested in perpetuating ICE sales with this tech.